Focus Fanatics Forum banner

AWD Zetec/SVT Focus INFO thread

90K views 226 replies 61 participants last post by  FordManSVT 
#1 ·
THIS REFERS TO MAKEING A FOCUS AWD AND KEEPING THE TRANSVERSE MOUNTED TRANNY

I think its about time we start pooling our resources and really start getting into the AWD Focus discussion.

I've been doing alittle research...

Here's what I know...

You can use the MTX75 out of a Jaguar but you have to switch the guts into a Focus friendly housing, the Jag rear end is too wide unless you want to do some fab work.

You may be able to use some of the Mondeo parts, but I'm having a little difficulty in finding much info on these.

Theres a possibility we may be able to use parts off of the old AWD Tempo's, if I can find one I'm gonna get some measurements and scope out everything REAL good.

Getrag is currently testing an AWD system for the next gen Focus... I wonder if it will be backwards compatable.

I'm starting this thread so I can get enough info to start collecting parts for a "Summer Build"

If you post in here try to keep everything on topic... i will delete posts if they go a stray.

John

See less See more
Reactions: JackSpeed
#2 ·
John, I think about the same thing almost every day. I am really into jeeps and the off road seen as well as the focus. There is an off road buggy called the Rhino (www.rhino-offroad.com) that uses a Honda engine mounted sideways in order to utilize two solid axles in the front and rear. The trans axle is obviously locked with a spool with lockers in the axles too.

The part that I am hung up on is the loss of efficiency in the drive train. Building front and rear cross members is not a problem, but what to use for pumpkins is the question. Basically anything in the Dana crowd is most likely too heavy and will kill anything but a turbo focus. I bought a for 8" last year and then ditched it because I realized the the pinion is mounted too low to the point is looses a 3% efficiency over a 8.8.

I do not know enough about other cars in order to figure it out right now, but I am thinking the center chunks out of a subi with custom axles and hubs.

#4 ·
I personally would be happy with taking the whole setup and mounting it in the rear. Use the stock front end setup and then grab another set of svt knuckles to use for rear hubs. This set would need a motor mounting system built into a roll cage (at least for me) and then a custom cross member. I think I am getting off track though.

I read throug the FJ deal too.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting stuff that was already mentioned in the first post!!!!

Jborden... I'm thinking along the lines of Using the MTX-75 from the Jag.. do an output shaft swap (since the Jag shaft is too big for the 4 cylinder Zetec) and maybe swap in a WRX or EVO rear suspension and just make a custom drive shaft.

Of course the next issue will be running the exhaust since you have to use the existing tunnel for the drive shaft... I'm thinking going from 3"round to 3" oval exhaust and just make it side exit.

Your thoughts?

#7 ·
It seems like I need to do some catch up research on the jag setup but I deff think that the evo or subi rear diff is the way to go. Maybe even using the entire suspension.

As for the exhaust, depending on your tastes, you could run oval tubes for ground clearance dump them right before the rear tires. Or run one or two oval, depending on how much cross sectional area you need to equal the 3" round, and run them beside the drive shaft. I know of a few places to buy SS oval tube but each of them use a different process in order to form it, so that means a 3" round may be have the same cross sectional area as the 3" oval.

Does any one have some solid pics of the jag under body? Maybe quality pic links can be posted on the first post of this thread as a reference to refer back to as the conversation goes on. Sources would also be good if any info is posted. Basically instead of continuously talking about this, we could be building a data base for it too to distinguish solid facts/spec from misconceptions.

#9 ·

John, you can delete those or leave them.

I guess my question not is; Will the tranny hit the drives side frame rail? The jag box looks a bit longer and if anyone has ever installed there own clutch or lsd, its sometimes a pain just to get the getrag out of there without a lift. You basically need to man handle her. Cutting and boxing frame rails is always an option though.

Also for the rear end, 8.8" center diffs are a dime a dozen from the turbo coupe, marks and cobras and FR. Fab a cradle to hold it and use either the FR (turbo coupe) knuckles or even SVTF front knuckles in the rear. Moser and other companies can cut an aftermarket ring gear in order to lighten it up and that would help the focus. There is also relucter rings on the cobra drive shafts and sensor positions one the aluminum cobra diff for abs.

How is all this going to be biased and how hard will the transitions be?

#10 ·
I located a wrecked Jag X-type thats AWD.... but its an automatic.... BUT I can get both front and rear sub assemblies for around $500.

I really need some measurements off of the Jag's rear sub frame.... depending on how much wider it is I could always do a custom "wide fender" setup on the back.

As for biasing everything.... I'm still working on that one, but I do have a couple of idea's.

Personally I think all Jag may be the way to go.. if you find just one AWD 5 speed thats wrecked all of the differentials will have the correct gearing ... one less headache

Edit: luckily I DO have a lift [poke]

#12 ·
Personally I think all Jag may be the way to go.. if you find just one AWD 5 speed thats wrecked all of the differentials will have the correct gearing ... one less headache
But are they super complicated with electronics?

Also, maybe a quick visit to a used car dealer that has a x type 2.5L with the mtx would be worth a visit in order to get the overall length of the tranny to see if it will clear the rails. It just looks a few inches longer than a getrag and that could be a minor headache.

The SVTF getrag is 13" long (additional width to the zetec). That was the reason they added another lay shaft to it, was to shorten it up so it would fit into tight spaces.

#11 ·
If it's any help I've got an AOD in my (Right Hand Drive) RWD Focus V8.
The box just clears the frame rails each side, I just had to "adjust" one side to allow for the Throttle valve link.

MORE photos HERE

And I have dual 2.5 inch exhausts running under the floor not in the tunnel.
Passenger side runs where the fuel and brake pipes were, the other side mirrors that position.

#13 ·
this sounds like it would be a fairly straightforward swap.You say swap the focus to the jag trans case.Will it swap over or does it need to be modified.I have my car apart now.This would be a good time to do it.Would the dif for the front be the same,because Ive got a torsen diff for mine.As for the rear.I have a mig to fix the subframe.

#14 ·
Well the Jag tranny IS a mtx-75 and the only known difference is the size of the output shaft.

#17 ·
Well I've got 2 different part sourcing places looking for a wrecked X type with the 5 speed AWD setup.... and they are also going to get measurements on the rear suspension.. if they can find one.

As for exhaust... I have a couple of neat idea's.

#20 ·
im glad i was able to stir up more belief in the possibilities of the swap......Im the one who wrote that whole thread on Focaljet a while back, and have a similar thread which is mostly discussion here if you search.

the jag trans will indeed bolt up, but the output shafts are different diameters.

the driveshaft might not clear the stock fucus front subframe/steering rack.

the jag rear subframe/suspension is both too wide in track as well as in lengthwise(front to back)

best bet is to locate a totalled AWD 5spd or 6spd x-type and knock it all out man.

#21 ·
Do you know the dimensions on the rear subframe??

I can deal with 3-4 inches on each side... just a little body fabbing and it'll look right.

I'm also looking at the Escape setup..... there's got to be a way to make things work.

#22 ·
As for the steering rack, you can always raise it up and just make tie rods for it.

#23 ·
the escape system is junk.....you CAN however mod an escape rear subfram easier than a jag subframe, and just make mounts for the jag diff instead of the escape one.

the jag subframe is about 8" too long in both dimensions give or take

#26 ·
the problem with the escape system is the transmission is based on the 5MT, which is a peice of junk and wont hold up to any power. not to mention its a FWD default that sends 25% bias to the rear tires based on traction control stability.

#27 ·
Well I have 2 things going on next week...

1) get the Fofo back together and running

2) go look at a possible new project car

but I am still looking for a Jag to rob parts off of.

#28 ·
Why not just fab up a complete sub frame with what ever center diff you want? Donar parts are cheaper up front, but not always in the long run once you factor in time and money spent on modding.

My vote is for:
irs 8.8" on a diet
custom shafts
one off billet knuckles
and some 4130 tubing, lots of it
... oh, and TIG welder and some skills :)

#29 ·
I've thought about doing the Kugal rear end conversion... that would be so much simpler.

#31 ·
I thought about that, or one out of a 99+ Cobra..... but it would be just so much easier to bolt in the Kugal and only make a few small changes to the car instead of having to make a bunch of 1 off pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.