Focus Fanatics Forum banner

AWD Zetec/SVT Focus INFO thread

90K views 226 replies 61 participants last post by  FordManSVT 
#1 ·
THIS REFERS TO MAKEING A FOCUS AWD AND KEEPING THE TRANSVERSE MOUNTED TRANNY

I think its about time we start pooling our resources and really start getting into the AWD Focus discussion.

I've been doing alittle research...

Here's what I know...

You can use the MTX75 out of a Jaguar but you have to switch the guts into a Focus friendly housing, the Jag rear end is too wide unless you want to do some fab work.

You may be able to use some of the Mondeo parts, but I'm having a little difficulty in finding much info on these.

Theres a possibility we may be able to use parts off of the old AWD Tempo's, if I can find one I'm gonna get some measurements and scope out everything REAL good.

Getrag is currently testing an AWD system for the next gen Focus... I wonder if it will be backwards compatable.

I'm starting this thread so I can get enough info to start collecting parts for a "Summer Build"

If you post in here try to keep everything on topic... i will delete posts if they go a stray.

John

See less See more
Reactions: JackSpeed
#109 ·
this is all i have been able to find so far......but it seems wrong for some reason:

"Yes, the final drive ratio can be determined from the posted information. Both the 2.5 and the 3.0 auto and manual have a drivetrain ratio (normally called rear end ratio on RWD's) of 2.53 to 1. The actual final drive ratio which takes into the overdrive ratio of the transmission and tire radius for the auto is 2.66 to 1 and the manual is 2.92 to 1.

As long as there is no slip in the transmissions or clutches (yes the auto has a clutch also) you can use the same ratio of speed to rpm and get to the rpm in high gear for any speed.

Does this mean that the auto has a higher top speed than a manual? Yes and no. If they both had unlimited HP the auto could go faster. With the same HP the manual will be faster due to the lower gearing allowing the motor to rev higher producing more HP. Also the auto will have greater friction losses in the transmission reducing available HP."

#112 ·
hmm, can i get a cobra IRS with a 3.82...........

#117 ·
so in laymens terms both have to be the same. so a 5spd focus, the rear would have to have a 3.82 gear ratio......and the SVT 6 spd would have to have a matching gear ratio in the rear corresponding to the getrag

correct?

#118 ·
It makes no difference... the transfer case isnt being driven off of the trannys ring gear like a conventiona 4x4, its being driven by an output shaft (basically the same place where your front axle would connects on a regular Focus) AND theres no gear reduction for the transfer case... so to keep everything in sync you would actually have to have a 1:1 ratio in the rear end.

#119 ·
i think i am getting confused here with this "1:1"......so what does the rear differential ratio actually have to match up with?

#120 ·
The output from the transaxle is already at its "final drive" since the output has already went through the transmission.

OK now you bolt on the transfer case which has NO reduction or internal gearing other than 1:1 since it is being driven off of the output shaft which would "normally" be turning one of your front axles.

So in turn to get the rear wheels to turn at the same speed as the front wheels the gear in the rear needs to be 1:1 (one turn of the drive shaft = 1 turn of the wheels)

#123 ·
well......for the MTX75..........there is really only two options, and one of them i dont even know if it is possible.

there are no 3.82 gearsets available for a 8.8 rear end. there IS one for the 9" rear end.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294918962+115+4294776274

now the other thing is that the cobra rear IRS has nearly identical moutning points to the 8.8 rear.......so that shouldnt be too bad to mount to the focus, as it was in that picture on page 4 i think

the cobra rear IRS is a 8.8

sucks for me. now the other option i was speaking of is to see if a custom gearset could be made for 3.82 for the 8.8

then i would be all set.
i would use the cobra IRS with a 3.82 and be golden.

#125 ·
If all the previous information is correct;

Input to Transfer box is the same speed as to the front right wheel.
The Transfer box has no reduction (1:1).

Then you cannot use a conventional reduction diff as used on 8.8.
You can only use the Jag rear end, which will be 1:1, same speed in as speed out.

If you also look at my earlier post, the transfer box output to the rear turns the opposite way to a normal trans output, so the Jag rear IS the only one you can use.

(The system, branded "Traction-4" by Jaguar, utilises a unique Visteon design that drives the rear differential "backwards." )

#127 ·
Well, my AWD Focus plans just got put on hold for a couple of months.....

I ran across a GREAT deal on a LOW milage 1996 MYSTIC SVT Cobra that I just couldn't pass up.... and the modding has already began on it.

Once I get the Cobra the way i want it in a month or two I'll actually START the AWD Fofo project... plus it'll be warmer out in the shop by then.

#129 ·
Summary?

Can someone post a summary of what is known? With or without opinion of what the final drive ratio should be is fine. Did we confirm the JaGX transfer case bellhousing etc....
Thanks-

#130 ·
SUMMARY:

The jaguar transmission cannot be used on a zetec 4cyl, the input shaft is too large in diameter, and cannot be swapped out becuase of the extra parts inside the case to run the transfer case. UNLESS you take it out and have the shaft machined to match the focus transmission's input shaft.

The transfer case seems eaily adaptable to the focus transmission by making a custom "adaptor shaft"....something about the size of a household toilet paper tube which would have the splines/diameter of the stock axle on one end to mount into the transmission output port, and on the other side have the splines/diameter for the input side of the transfer case. Then you shorten the passenger axle.

The front subframe has to be cut in half and the center "boxed out" to fit a driveshaft through.

The rear either has to be a completely custom subframe, an escape modified subframe, or a cobra IRS cutom mounted. All of which require removal of the gas tank and spare tire well in the floor pan. Also all require adapting mounts for the jaguar rear differential because it spins "reverse" to conventional rear diffs.....

The only way to use a jag transmission is to use the 2.5 or 3.0 v6 as well.

#133 ·
i beleive the MTX75 awd used in the jag are left-over mondeo 4x4 units........so if thats the case all of that info is redundant to this thread.

#135 ·
theoretically, yes.....you could remove the input shaft from the jag trans and have it machined to fit the zetec motor. the mounting of the trans to the motor should be no different. the only possible problem is clearing the steering rack/exhaust tunnel.

#137 ·
has anyone thought about using the set up out of a awd fusion, will it work for the focus( oviously you'd have to trim the axles to work or find ones that will work) I was thinking about it the other day as I was driving behind a fusion. and I'd like to know if you could use the fusion fuel cell so you don't have to put a fuel cell in your trunk and completely lose the trunk or hatch.

#139 ·
Hi guys, I don't own a focus or anything, but I'm a major lurker on theses forums.
I really like to read about people's foci and see the progress on builds and such. I almost did get a focus on numerous occasions, but somehow i just ended up with my Monty.

aaaaanyways
I just wanted to join to post that my mom has a courtesy car from jaguar right now, and it's an AWD X-type. If you guys need me to take any measurements or pictures, I'd be glad to help.
(I'm willing to climb under it and everything)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.