Focus Fanatics Forum banner

AWD Zetec/SVT Focus INFO thread

90K views 226 replies 61 participants last post by  FordManSVT 
#1 ·
THIS REFERS TO MAKEING A FOCUS AWD AND KEEPING THE TRANSVERSE MOUNTED TRANNY

I think its about time we start pooling our resources and really start getting into the AWD Focus discussion.

I've been doing alittle research...

Here's what I know...

You can use the MTX75 out of a Jaguar but you have to switch the guts into a Focus friendly housing, the Jag rear end is too wide unless you want to do some fab work.

You may be able to use some of the Mondeo parts, but I'm having a little difficulty in finding much info on these.

Theres a possibility we may be able to use parts off of the old AWD Tempo's, if I can find one I'm gonna get some measurements and scope out everything REAL good.

Getrag is currently testing an AWD system for the next gen Focus... I wonder if it will be backwards compatable.

I'm starting this thread so I can get enough info to start collecting parts for a "Summer Build"

If you post in here try to keep everything on topic... i will delete posts if they go a stray.

John

See less See more
Reactions: JackSpeed
#33 ·
I want to be able to go see the tranny, take a good look and see where and how it mounts and how the rear shaft runs.... so I need something closer than GA.

#37 ·
BUT,,, if the Kugal kit is setup for a standard sized solid axle then you can get an IRS out of a Cobra and it should bolt right in to it... since Ford designed it to bolt into a solid axle Mustang body...... pretty good idea huh???

#35 ·
the other thing i was tossing around considering i havent seen a trans in person is that the pictures/diagrams make it seem as though the front PTO box for the driveshaft to the rear seams to pop in place of the passenger axle, and then the passenger axle is just shorter and pops into the PTO (like a DSM).....so you might not even NEED a trans....

#40 ·
Ford already had the idea......in 2001 Ford Racing built a prototype car called the "tooner focus".....they used the parts from the escape but locked the rear diffs so it was full time AWD. Ricardo from F2 currently has the original kit removed from the tooner focus after it did its run in SEMA in 2001.

I beleive Ricardo was in the midst of re-producing the kit. I had at one time talked to him about it as he was thinking of selling the kit.....It has a custom front subframe, escape modified rear subframe, and escape trans and rear diff.

#41 ·
I actually sent Ricardo a PM last week about that... just waiting to hear back from him.

#45 ·
Right now I'm leaning more towards the solid axle... just because of ease of installation.

I know some have said it may not handle that great but the RS8 pulled over 1 G on the skid pad with the same rear end... and they didnt have the front wheels pulling like I will.

#46 ·
Well of course it will post big numbers on the skid pad, akin to using a huge RSB to combat body roll. The skid pad is a pretty static model of the cars traction. That doesn't mean it will actually handle well in say, a auto-x environment. Cool none-the-less. I'd bet that thing rotates like a mofo.

#48 ·
Well if I do use a solid axle it couldnt handle any worse than a Mustang... actually I think it would handle better than a Mustang... lighter front end plus the front wheels pulling it around might be a pretty descent combonation.

Besides... I dont autocross, I like big open road tracks!!!

#51 · (Edited)
^
Try closer to $40,000...

The WRC transmission is computer controlled to bias the power to the wheel that it predicts will have the best grip on the road between a combination of a GPS system and a forward-scanning doppler radar which controlled three active differentials; front, center and rear. On top of which, it is designed for the engine to be tilted roughly 25 degrees towards the back from its stock position...which would result in even more "one-off" parts.

Good luck hooking that up to a production Zetec...

No doubt it would be the best choice for an AWD setup...but the cost and time required would probably meet or exceed the price of a used WRC car from M-Sport.

#62 · (Edited by Moderator)
A WRC focus drivetrain costs 85,000 great british pounds... or around 160,000 dollars. M-sport emailed my blackberry today with the info

Also new WRC rules omits those types of transmissions.. you have to use mechanical front and rear diffs and only the center diff can be PC controlled.

i totally see where your coming from, but the way i see it is that if i can tackle it, and it is simple....i have a source to mass produce the parts i fab to make availabe to whoever else wants to do the swap....

but the real easiest way is with a jag trans and a kugel rear end kit.
YOu had better use an independant rear suspension. Look into the later mustang IRS

I plan on using the wheels I have now, the mid 80's Mustangs ran a 4 x 108 bolt pattern so if I use a rear end out of one of those I can keep my Euro wheels.

I need to find one of the Jag AWD tranny's somewhere close enough that I can look at it before buying it... so I can see how it mounts.
I POSTED THE LINK FOR YOUR TRANSMISSION SOURCE ALREADY.. I talked to that guy before and his prices are really good.

http://www.tremek.com/forum/car-pictures/882-sick-v8-cobra-focus-supercharged.html

Click that and look at the rear set up

#53 ·
#54 ·
I plan on using the wheels I have now, the mid 80's Mustangs ran a 4 x 108 bolt pattern so if I use a rear end out of one of those I can keep my Euro wheels.

I need to find one of the Jag AWD tranny's somewhere close enough that I can look at it before buying it... so I can see how it mounts.

#58 ·
You will have to have the center bore increased on the Euro wheels or the shaft center reduced (as I did) to be able to fit 4 x 108 Euro wheels on 4 x108 Mustang axle shafts.

Euro = 63.4mm
U.S = 63.9mm

#55 ·
^ im trying to find one too......I'm also trying to talk to local dealers to determine if the driveshaft for the rear wheels mounts directy into the casing itself or if there is a "PTO" box that mounts to where the passenger axle inputs on the tranny if it were a FWD instead (dont know if im explaining this in a way you can understand).......trying to find an exploded veiw of a parts reference or something......the trans might not even be needed, just the PTO might (if thats how it works).

if i do it, im going to swap in the jaguar hubs for 5 lug and the bigger brakes. it will be a whole different car. I would like to keep 4 wheel independant suspension for optimal handling in any situation. I think i may have to build my own subframe or at least use an escape subframe as a a starting point.

#56 ·
If we had a local dealer I would just go look under one of their Jags... the worst they could do is tell me to get up off of the ground LOL

Tomorrow I have to go to my favorite Ford Dealer (these guys are VERY Mod freindly) and I'm going to get my buddy in the part dept to try to pull up one of the trannies on their system... at least its worth a try.

#57 ·
^ good thought. let us know how it turns out.

this thread is going much better than my last one lol

#60 ·
I like to look at stuff from a "practicle" point of view... anyone can say get this or use that and just fab everything you need.

I like to do stuff with as little fab work as possible, that way if you end up breaking something its easier to fix.

Besides if this works it'll be something that anyone can do...

#59 ·
Thanks for the info... that wont be a problem.. neighbor has a lathe!!!!

#65 ·
The answer you seek lies within the question you asked.

Bvtt_Whiper: You know you can multiquote posts right, that way you don't have like, I dunno, a whole bunch of crap posts one after another, after another, after another, after another.......

Also, ease off the caps lock, no need to yell. I'm pretty sure John knows what he is doing

#64 ·
What part of we want to see the tranny and see how its mounted in person before we buy one dont you understand???

I've seen the ATI Focus before.... thats a beautiful rear end set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.