Winter Wheels - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #21
JayDeZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6-sp manual

FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Winter Wheels

The sidewall bulges out and looks like the balloon tires on a cartoon car... Unless you are going for the off-road look. Then it looks acceptable.

Last edited by JayDeZ; 07-24-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #22
Sleazy Seagull
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 177409
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Sleazy Seagull Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
The sidewall bulges out and looks like the balloon tires on a cartoon car... Unless you are going for the off-road look. Then it looks acceptable.
Gotcha. I'll save a few dollars and the skip the offroad look with a 205/55 tire.

Seriously contemplating those Hankooks now. Good thing it is July, got quite a ways to decide.

Cleaned all the wheels yesterday and got the tires dismounted. A bunch of Simple Green, WD-40, and some dish soap worked fairly well. I would not eat off them, but now I can get them out of my trunk and into my apartment. Sucks not having a garage...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
JayDeZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6-sp manual

FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy Seagull View Post
Gotcha. I'll save a few dollars and the skip the offroad look with a 205/55 tire.

Seriously contemplating those Hankooks now. Good thing it is July, got quite a ways to decide.

Cleaned all the wheels yesterday and got the tires dismounted. A bunch of Simple Green, WD-40, and some dish soap worked fairly well. I would not eat off them, but now I can get them out of my trunk and into my apartment. Sucks not having a garage...
If you want them to look really good pick up some plati-dip or Duplicolor Wheel Paint. I have a set of 2000 taurus wheels for the winter that I painted gunmetal with the Duplicolor wheel paint. I think they came out great. It was really easy and only took a few hours to paint and clear.

This is what they look like after the paint. The dealership where i had the tires mounted thought they were brand new wheels. Oh, and you can see how bad a 215 tire on a 6.5 inch rim looks in this picture

Old 07-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
Sleazy Seagull
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeZ View Post
If you want them to look really good pick up some plati-dip or Duplicolor Wheel Paint. I have a set of 2000 taurus wheels for the winter that I painted gunmetal with the Duplicolor wheel paint. I think they came out great. It was really easy and only took a few hours to paint and clear.

This is what they look like after the paint. The dealership where i had the tires mounted thought they were brand new wheels. Oh, and you can see how bad a 215 tire on a 6.5 inch rim looks in this picture
Nice! They don't look that bad, maybe more like a rally car look or something. I've contemplated painting the Volvo ones, I'm just not sure. I haven't even test fitted one yet. Hopefully I can get around to that...

The previous owner curb rashed them pretty good, so I'm not sure anyone would ever think they were new wheels. That's alright though, I bought the car and the wheels on a budget. Not trying to get too fancy.

EDIT: If it is a negligible price difference, do you think keeping the stock width of 215mm would be worth it for the handling aspect? I can see from a looks stand-point it might not be attractive to everyone, but winter tires always look beefier to me anyways. Since RI/CT aren't covered in snow 24/7 having that extra width might help the dry handling, no?

Last edited by Sleazy Seagull; 07-28-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #25
Sleazy Seagull
Focus Rookie

Well, over the weekend I test fitted one of the Volvo wheels on the rear hub. Seemed to fit up nicely and I suspect it will be the same for all four corners. Given the conical lug nut and bore in the wheel, I don't think I will need hub-centric spacers. The lugs will center the wheel nicely.

I still question whether I should keep the 215mm width though for the thoughts of additional dry handling. Tried to google about over sizing tire width on winter wheels and not much came up. Can anyone chime in on that?

Here are some pictures of the wheel fitment. I might almost like the Volvo wheels over the stock Ford ones. I will be able to tell better when rubber is mounted to them and the suspension is loaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	60713  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	60721  

Bookmarks & Social Networks