Focus Fanatics Forum banner

American Le Mans Series

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SteedaFL 
#1 ·
ALMS began today which was a surprise to me. With the economy tanking and the car industry under fire I felt like such races might not be held. Especially with so many rumors of teams dropping out of races. But thankfully the season is underway, with many newcomers such as Audis new R15 Prototype, which is the succesor to the R8 and the R10 from last season, as well as BMWs return to motorsports with its new M3 GT2 car (unfortunatlly one of the two was out of the race and just as I'm writing this I noticed that the second car has gone off to the garage...so it might be the end for team BMW today). If anyone watch last season the R10 was neck and neck with team Peugot who also has an amazing race car and one of the fastest in the series. Today they kicked off the series with the 12 hours of Sebring and its turning out to be a great race. Peugeot I believe still sits in the lead with 6 hours left though anything can happen. Acura is trailing behind but still in the race.

As I'm typing this I am watching the Live feed on Speedtv.com directly from the #2 Audi R15 prototype. I can't see standings but as of right now there is a Peugot right on its tail trailing not so far behind. If you haven't really got into Road Racing or racing in general and want to watch some exciting races tune in to the ALMS series and support motorsports. Personally I love this kind of racing because its fast, its exciting, takes a great deal of skill and the cars in the GT1 and GT2 classes are all modified production cars. GT1 is on the brink of extinction though as there are only two competitors left in this class, both being from team corvette...LOL.

So, tune into Speed Channel till 11pm for Live race coverage or go on speedtv.com to catch some of the live feeds from inside the cars.

BTW, did anyone watch Truth in 24 last night on ESPN? It was a two hour documentary of Team Audi during the 2008 24 hours of Le Mans and it was a really exciting film. I believe it is still available for either purschese of download on the net. Ima try to find the website soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
The ALMS is truly an awesome series...especially the GT2 class. Totally bummed that I couldn't make it the race, but happy the season is finally under way. Endurance racing is so physically and mechanically demanding...it's really amazing how much punishment the cars and the drivers can handle! Can't wait until Corvette moves into the GT2 class, will be interesting to see if they can compete with the likes of Porsche and Ferrari...probably not is my guess.

#5 ·
Why not? the Corvette team is top notch and has won plenty of races and continues to excel. And its not just the cars, the drivers are very good too. During the race today the commentators were talking about how great the other teams are but out of even the prototype pits, the corvette pit team seemed superior to the rest as they were quick and efficient. This will play a big role in how they do in GT2.

Congrats to audi for winning with their new R15 in P1 class. It was an amazing battle against Peugot. Acura I believe one in P2, Corvette in GT1 (obviously lol) and Ferrari took the win in GT2, but it probably would of been Porsche if they didnt have that accident in the last hour.

Can't wait for the next race, and I'm thinking about going to Lime Rock Conn to see the race there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.