Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Won't go into 1st, 3rd or 5th

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  qdenning 
#1 ·
So, all of the sudden my SVT won't go into reverse, 1st, 3rd or 5th. I'm thinking its a linkage issue. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't check it. Anybody have experience with this issue?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
Is a common issue. Our shifter cables have springs in the housings which hold them in place on the bracket near the trans. the housing is threaded with two plastic nuts that have constant pressure pushing towards each. The springs cause this pressure. The bracket on the trans has a c style hole and.it sandwhiches between the two nuts. When the spring falls out then the nut backs out on one side. Now the shifter cable housing is moving instead of the cable inside when u shift. Look under the area where ur throttle body and mass air meter is. U should see where the linkage attaches and one should be lose. Usually can tighten it it by hand then use a zip tie to keep it from twisting back off.

#3 ·
I had the same thing happen to my 02 SVT. I delt with it for a little while. Then I finally had to get it replaced. I had a garage do it because it's a hassle. After the linkage was replaced though it was like night and day. I would recommend just replacing the linkage and saving yourself the headache of having to worry about it again.

#4 ·
Fixed it in the parking lot at work with a zip tie. I will see if I can order a new linkage cable from tousley. They've been very hard to get a hold of though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.