Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)

646K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  alex_5161 
#1 ·
My 2012 Titanium has an annoying low speed strut rattle. When it was new it wasn't there. It took a few weeks to materialize. It's only heard at low speeds. While turning or braking it is super noticeable. The service department freely acknowledged the sound was there. I must give them credit for not denying it.
We took the car to the dealer ship, and found nothing "technically" wrong. They greased the front strut bushings and the sounds went away for about two weeks. Yes. It really wasn't there anymore. I was thrilled.
However, it returned at the same exact rate and loudness as when I first bought it.
Now that it's been a couple months the sound is back full and loud.
The sound IS strut related. I know enough about automotive mechanics not to to be fooled by other sounds and noises. Since the grease made the sound go away for a short time the issue is clearly a strut issue.

Does anyone else have this problem?
The solution so far is only very temporary. I'd like to know if others are getting this noise.
Will Ford or the strut manufacturer make right on this? That remains to be seen.

See less See more
#1,219 ·
Went back to dealer as noise is back, they didnt even road test but just heard from outside while I was turning the steering wheel, dealer basically said we can order the TSB parts again...
Hi eriksarnstrom and Uptcv1:

I want to escalate both of you to your region's Customer Service Managers. They'll reach out to your individual dealers and resolve your concerns. Send me a PM with your VIN, mileage estimate, preferred servicing dealer and a good daytime contact number. I'll get the ball rolling! [thumb]

So, I've won the battle. My car is now CLUNK FREE.
WOOHOO! Thanks for updating us, Zillon. Glad to hear that things worked out! [headbang]

-Crystal

#1,208 ·
Went back to dealer as noise is back, they didnt even road test but just heard from outside while I was turning the steering wheel, dealer basically said we can order the TSB parts again...
Well, considering they didnt do the trick, noise is back and they ARE SOFTER and surely didnt last nearly as long as the original parts (had 10k miles on original setup, took less than 2k miles with TSB parts to go bad..) -btw original parts still being used on all new ones) I asked they put on the original ones instead... Of course the dealer didnt want to be part in this... So although I asked them to inquire with Ford what is the difference what/how is revised w TSB and also that I request the normal parts that Ford useswith new build anyway they basically said ok.. you call Ford and let us know what they tell you...
Ford?? Hello, could you advise thank you

#1,212 · (Edited)
So, I've won the battle. My car is now CLUNK FREE.

I'll keep everyone updated over the next few weeks and see if any noises return, but for now, I'm calling this a breakthrough.

Parts used:
- AD-1098 F Upper Strut Mounts x2 (Ford part #CV6Z-18183-B) 16.37 from Tousley Ford
- AST-12281 LH F Strut (#CV6Z-18124-R) 37.93 from Tousley
- AST-12287 RH F Strut (#CV6Z-18124-Q) 37.93 from Tousley
- AD-1094 strut bearings (#CV6Z-18198-A) 12.97 from my local Ford dealer

I used a liberal amount of white lithium grease in the following areas:
- Between the strut bearings and strut mounts
- Where the bump stops (aka jounce bumpers) sit in the strut bearings
- Around the seal of the strut bearings
- I also used the lithium grease to help seat the strut into the knuckle

Additionally, I grabbed some torque specs from the Mazdaspeed forums because I think these strut bearings are extremely sensitive to being overtorqued, which causes the bearing to bind and subsequently fail.
- Center nut on the strut: 50 ft-lbs
- 3 strut mount bolts: 25 ft-lbs

I left the 'mass damper' attached to the swaybar endlink bolt. I don't believe this is to blame for the noise - the Focus ST has the same exact part, and nobody on the ST forums is complaining of a clunking, clomping suspension (yet, at least).

The tab on the strut bearing and strut mount need to line up with the alignment tab on the back of the strut. When put together properly, you should be able to look down the back of the strut and all three should line up.

So, driving impressions: A drawback for some might be that these struts are much firmer than the stock SE touring struts, but for those looking for something to pair with mild lowering springs (Pro-kits; Steeda springs), they are perfect. Coupled with the upper strut mounts, the steering is much sharper, and I'll even go as far to say there's some feedback in the steering now. The car feels much lighter on its feet, and changes direction eagerly. Before, the car drove like it weighed another 500-700 lbs.

Unfortunately, the rear shocks from the ST are much too short due to different mounting locations on the rear knuckles and will not work with non-ST Foci. To fix the lack of uprated damping in the rear, I've ordered a pair of Koni Sport shocks for a 2010+ Mazdaspeed 3(#8040-1353SPORT). These will work, and the rebound damping is adjustable, so I'm hoping that they will allow me to fine tune the rear suspension to match the front. They should be here later this week.

Any questions, fire away.

#1,215 ·
There were no immediately discernible differences between what I removed and what I installed, aside from quite a bit of slop in the original bearings. One of the bearings did separate when I removed it from the strut, but I feel that was attributed more to user error than total bearing failure itself.

The ST upper strut mounts themselves are slightly different, but just barely. Different part number stamped into the rubber, and the alignment notches are different. I didn't really get much of a chance to hold everything side by side and make a close comparison; I was crunched for time a bit since I had a friend giving me a hand and allowing me to use his lift.

I'll get some photos of the old strut bearings up tomorrow, but don't expect anything crazy. They appear fine, visually. I did look inside the one that came apart, and everything seemed normal. The grease was clean, even though it was a little less lubrication than I'd prefer, but nothing seemed bent or askew aside from several loose bearings that fell out.

#1,216 ·
Thanks! The slop in the bearings was what I was curious about.

I had a friend drive my wife's SE yesterday morning, rolling back and forth over a speed bump in a parking lot with the hood open. Looking at the upper attach points for the struts, it looked as if the 'eyeball' part of the upper strut mounts had considerable side-to-side play. I didn't disassemble the cowl panel to be sure, but it looked that way to me. Also, the movement and the noise were concurrent.

The part numbers that you were installing began with 'CV6Z' and, if I recall correctly, the originals began with 'BV6Z', which could imply some sort of revision. Unfortunately, the list of parts you changed and the list of parts to be changed for TSB 12-06-17 only had one part number in common - the CV6Z-18198-A Strut Bearing - which might explain why the TSB has proven less than effective.

Thanks again!

#1,233 ·
So will ford fix our ti's or will they just pass the fix into next years model updates like other companies do while our warranties are used up?

Waited for years for Nissan to recall my trucks defective differential, but I have only seen a small lawsuits, so I guess Nissan calculated the numbers right on that one. Cheaper to pay off the few and piss off the early buyers. Which is one reason I didn't even look at Nissans this time around.

Now this suspension issue is likely not nearly as expensive to fix, but will ford decide that it is worth it to make us happy?

[popcorn]

#1,235 ·
I traded my 2012 Focus Ti (29,400 miles in 13 months) for a 2013 Escape last week. But, by the time I got it to the dealer, it sounded like it was grinding rocks when the steering wheel was turned at low speeds.

Glad to know Ford is on top of this . . .

#1,236 ·
Hi everyone,

I completely understand the frustration you're experiencing with your cars. I can assure you that in addition to escalating your concerns, we're also working with the engineering team to find a solution here.

The more information you provide to me (via escalations), the more information I can pass along to the engineering folks. So, if you haven't already done so, send me a PM with your info (VIN, mileage, dealer, phone number) and I'll continue to get you guys escalated to the appropriate regional Customer Service Managers.

Thanks for your patience.
-Crystal

#1,237 ·
Noise Gone

My noise is gone, as in, its setting on the used car lot. I couldnt take it anymore, I traded for a 2013 Nissan Altima and love it, the touch screen comes on everytime the car starts, the radio doesnt freeze up, bluetooth stays connected, it doesnt randomly choose a radio station at full volume when switching inputs, transmission is smooth and best of all no noise in the front end. Sorry Ford, My Ford Touch is a joke.

#1,244 ·
The rattle on my SEL comes and goes. I can run over the same bumps numerous times and the rattle may or may not happen. This is really frustrating. A new car should not sound like this...and I am just exhausted with bringing it to the dealer who may or may not fix the problem. It doesn't seem like Ford has a definite fix for it yet. From reading this thread, it seems like others have had the same parts you had replaced and the rattling ends up returning anyway.

They fixed the steering wander issue on my car, after waiting weeks for the rack to come in, then having to go back to correct the alignment which they fudged up. They replaced the drooping auto dim mirror, but it still droops every week.

This rattle though is horrible. I am in no position to sell/trade in my BRAND NEW CAR. I was a die hard Ford fan but this is just so incredibly frustrating and cannot be ignored. [mad]

edit: It's especially bad recently because the city is tearing up many streets to repave, but until they are repaved they are just a hard rutted surfaces with bumps and manhole covers sticking an inch or 2 out of the ground. Going slow over all this is nonstop rattling.

#1,254 ·
Just got mine back today, the springs, struts and strut bearings were replaced. So far it sounds better. Car currently has 28,300 km on it.

I wish they weren't so zealous with the impact wrench though, they put some small scratches in my mint 18" wheels :/

#1,258 ·
Parts ordered. Fingers crossed. Hopefully the old bearings were just a bad batch, and the replacements will be better. If it's more a design problem than a quality problem, then wouldn't every Focus have a noisy front suspension?

#1,267 ·
I agree. These forums should be helpful. Although, I don't have this issue (yet). *knock on wood*

Even if we don't come up with a "real" solution, us getting parts replaced that fix the issue but the noise eventually comes back should give Ford some insight on what part(s) need to be redesigned, not replaced. Sure, I'm a mechanical engineer, but I don't think anyone needs to be one to know that the suspension is flawed.

#1,277 ·
The ST uses the same bearings as the regular Focus (Ford #CV6Z-18198-A / Motorcraft #AD-1094). So, if my noise returns, I can directly blame it on the bearings.

The ST-specific parts that I did use were the top strut mounts (#AD-1098) and the front struts (#AST-12281 LH F strut / #AST-12287 RH F strut). Everything bolts right in without an issue. I'm also lowered on Eibach Pro-kit springs, which is why Ford wouldn't touch my car.

I also used the following torque specs, because I believe the bearing and mount are super-sensitive to being overtorqued:
Center strut nut: 50 ft-lbs
Upper mount bolts: 25 ft-lbs

I also used a prolific amount of lithium grease between the bearing and the strut mount, on the bumpstop that fits into the bearing, and around the seam of the strut bearing itself.

#1,278 ·
Ok...that's what I thought u did. You're right...if the noise returns it will probably be those bearings. I'm watching for the st's to develop the issue...and if yours returns too. (Hopefully not!). I'm sure the added grease helped.

#1,282 ·
I like how they only test it on a smooth parking lot. I don't notice the noise on smooth roads while turning ... only over rougher roads and bumps... this is probably why my dealer said no when I took it in for the passenger side last month (have had the driver side TSB done already). [?|]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.