Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2000 Focus Vents Stuck?

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  2000FFocusLX 
#1 · (Edited)
The vents in my 2000 Focus LX are stuck on defrost. Still works on all 4 speeds and the heat works. By stuck I mean stuck. It WILL NOT switch out of defrost. I broke one switch trying, then went down to where to switch connects and tried down there too. No movement whatsoever.

Any idea what is wrong with it and how to fix it?

The switch is the vent selector: defrost, feet-face, feet, face. It is NOT the switch itself. PLEASE ANYONE WITH KNOWLEDGE HELP. I've been dealing with this for well over a year now and Really need this fixed for winter, I am moving to north dakota in less than a month and cannot afford to pay a dealership $800 for a small fix like this (I know dealerships Especially Ford really try to screw you with parts and labor).

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! That does help out, but he didn't completely specify. It might be a vacuum leak I'm thinking.. because it is stuck in defrost.. I'm going to pull the glove box off tomorrow and see if I can find out if anything is blocking the vents, I hope so. Because I have no idea what I'm doing. Anyway, more help would be appreciated.

#6 ·
I already snapped the cables, when I was replacing them I tried manually changing it with the selector down by the blend door box on the outside, and the thing will not turn at all... The cables are not the problem. I already snapped and replaced them. The problem is whatever is behend the switch Which I have no idea how to check or anything.

#7 ·
I have the same problem with my '07. I replaced the Bowden cable. The upper blend "lever" that is part of the heater box works fine. However the lower blend lever is stuck. Does anyone have steps to access the heater box so I can remove the obstruction? I'm not sure blowing air in through the blower motor opening will work as it seems pretty far away from the problem area.
Thanks

#11 ·
same thing on my 05. I have to turn the button very hard to change the ventilation direction. Same thing on my previous 03. It's a current problem on Focuses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.