Focus Fanatics Forum banner

TURBO thoughts! ALL welcome.. mostly tuners

3K views 57 replies 8 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
so i'm planning on turbocharging my 2.0 dohc zetec. i'm going completely homemade and getting all parts cheap and fabricated locally by fellow friends and coworkers. i'm buying an exhaust manifold and turbo for obvious reason. i'm planning on 5 psi to start. do i need to tune to get running or should this be pretty straight forward?

#4 ·
^^And there's your tuning guy right there! Can do 10-12 psi depending on the turbo on a stock engine, keep it simple...SPA manifold is reliable and won't restrict your goals.

#9 ·
Correct , I can remote into your laptop and set up a proper datalog list and do the first datalog with you showing you how to use everything , then you send me the datalogs I request till your Focus is tuned , this is the same method for tuning if you were sitting on my dynojet dyno and I was tuning it you just wouldnt email them

Tom

#11 ·
the turbonetics t3 super60 is a very good turbo for you i think. spools up VERY quickly and isnt very big at all. the drawback to this one is its size. because it is so small you cannot make as much boost so you would be limited to the mid 300s in horsepower. but if you are not planning to build the bottom end of your engine and shoot for the moon on power then it would be great for you. just my $.02

#12 ·
I'll look into that. I'm going nowhere close to mid 3's for awhile mainly because of the cost issues. I would love to build the motor and boost to all hell but that's just a dream. 200 would be satisfactory right now. That seems like a huge goal considering it's a 130hp motor.

#20 ·
easy there cowboy! that wont work with the focus. we have a returnless style fuel system that wont allow that shenanigans. gotta have a tune, gotta have upgraded fuel injectors, upwards of 300hp gotta have a kenne belle boost a pump for additional fuel, upwards of 350hp gotta have a return style fuel system of some sort with a bigger pump whether it be a fuel cell, converting the stock tank to a cell, or making a surge tank setup like im running.

EDIT: just saw your last post lol

edit edit: you will also need injectors for sure for 200whp. you might as well get some like 60lb/hr injectors and be done so you dont have to buy a bigger set in the future. you can put massive injectors in the car and have them turned down with a tune for now but you cant make small injectors exceed their max capacity in the future if you decide you want more. and they dont cost that much more. beats having to spend $250+ twice

#31 ·
U have a svt correct? If so ur motor with correct tuning can get you close to 300 and being fwd thats plenty for a street car and it really is fun to drive much more then that gets kinda ridiculous i tuned mine to a lil over 300 on my built motor and it was a blast now were trying to go forward and its a pain so many more factors and things that have to be put into play ! But if u do plan on turboing ur car... Only thing im gonna tell u is do everything right the first time dont skip corners and try to save money these cars like to go boom so ur tune is just as important as ur install

#34 ·
Turbo should cost anywere from 400-1000$ unless u buy a cheap one which is a no no ... Injectors 42lb u could find used but thats another 100-200$ and the mani could be anything idk what they sell for anymore if ur buying used or new

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.