Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone with Water Injection Experience?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Gherkin 
#1 ·
I purchased my car partially completed running a 2009 2.0L supercharged Duratec with a very simple water injection system. The engine had about 22,000 miles on it when pulled from the donor Focus.

The supercharger is a Procharger putting out 9 psi at 6,200 rpm. The car does not have room for an intercooler so the water injection system is supposed to help cool the intake charge and slow the combustion process to control detonation. The system is set to start injecting a fine mist of water ahead of the throttle body at 4 psi.

Due to low compression (rings) in the #4 cylinder I am having to rebuild/replace the engine after only about 2,000 miles with the supercharger. The throttle body is at the #1 cylinder end; my suspicion is that at fairly low boost levels the water being injected isn't atomizing and therefore is staying "heavy" in the intake stream. This weight carries a greater quantity of water to the end of the manifold therefore loading the #4 cylinder with too much mass. Or am I all wet here, so to speak.

The car was tuned by a very trusted race shop with a lot of forced induction dyno tuning experience, it was putting down 250 rwhp after the initial tune six months ago.

My question is... Is the water injection really necessary at low boost levels? If it is, can anyone suggest a progressive or programmable system? My Haltech ECU really doesn't have the ability to vary pump pressure as I think would be required.

Thanks,
Chris

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.