Focus Fanatics Forum banner

RPS ZX3 back on the dyno and 1/4 mile

4K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Fast Tuner 
#1 ·
Hey guys as some of you might know we have being working on this project for a few years and different combinations but unfortunately we had an accident almost 2years ago well we didn't had the time to work on it until now on the past few weeks we finally got the car ready for some action, did a few changes that are RPS custom 12mm head studs, BC coilovers and a Turbosmart eboost controller.

Decide to keep the same whp as before which was 600fwhp until we get the best 1/4 mile out of it.

The car dyno 598fwhp and did 11.1@136 on Saturday during the boost controller adjustments first time out in almost 2 years.

Dyno and track video in our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Racin...17648528278197

#11 ·
i couldnt help but notice that the slower your 60' time got the faster your 1/4 time got. what did you change? also what wheel and tire are you running? and do you happen to have any oil pumps that can handle over 7500rpm lol

#12 ·
Well the track wasn't good enough and so this is why the 60ft got worst the only problem we're having right now is shifting into 2nd gear basically the clutch fail at high RPM's so I got to shift early into 2nd gear and the car bugs a lot so I adjust the boost controller to compensate basically all we need is a twin disc as we still use the CM stage 4

The tires are 24x8.5 on a 15x8 wheel

We did some custom work to the pump an so far is holding the 600whp and the 8k rev limiter.

#14 ·
those are some impressive numbers for a cm4 to hold! mind if i ask what intake manifold you are running? im planning to run a very similar setup and might end up with similar power. cm4, 16x8 wheel for slicks, LOTS of boost. right now im on the stock intake manifold. i think my torque is going to be really high because of that.

and what modification did you make to the oil pump? inquiring minds want to know! for the time being though i shouldnt need it as im setting it up to make peak power before 7500rpm. do you have problems shifting gears at or before that rpm? and are you running the 4 puck or 6 puck?

#17 ·
Is a custom RPS intake with a 65mm TB nothing fancy is short runners without velocity stacks. If you plan to do over 25psi you should look into a custom intake ;)

As far as the pump is a port and polish job with the OEM crank pulley the shifting problems will depend on the power you make at 450-480ish I can shift just fine but anything over that won't go into 2nd gear at high RPM's 3rd and 4th seem to be easier. I do use a CM 4 4puck !

#19 ·
do you think the issue with shifting from 1st to 2nd would still present itself if you launch on low boost (300ishwhp/tq) and switch to high boost (400+whp/tq) in 2nd or 3rd?

i also dont understand why it is completely necessary to put a custom IM on the car to shift the powerband up into a higher rpm range. it also reduces tq, it increases hp as well, but ive always been taught that torque is going to make you move more than hp. im always more than ready to be told im wrong so long as you can make a logical explanation as to why lol. i understand as well that supposedly after a certain psi you run the risk of busting the stock IM. i guess thats a risk im going to take for now but i personally know a guy that has been running just shy of 500ft/lbs/tq to the wheels for several years now on a stock im with no damage to the intake.

#20 ·
The car has a Eboost 2 and I do boost by gear the car is launch will spring pressure but it will still make over 400 wheel so is hard.

About the intake isn't mandatory but it is suggested, just think about the airflow on the OEM vs Custom.

#24 ·
could you give more details on this boost by gear? if i could set my boost up in each gear to the point just before it rips the tires off the ground that would be killer. right now i only have low and high boost options on the fly

#25 ·
i have looked into the boost by gear.. they make boost controllers that do it for you but they used to be crazy expensive. tis why i never bought one. and maniac. to answer your question about the tq. having lots of tq on a fwd car hurts you alot of the times because you cant get it to hook so you spin tires (like id do). and it doesnt matter how much power you have. if you cant get it down it means nothing. So if you high hp typically helps you in the higher rpm range and higer speeds so you acelorate harder at the higher speeds. tis why his trap speeds are so high. he pulls harder and harder as he climbs in rpm. Im just too stubborn to realize i prob have too much tq for a fwd car to ever make my car fast. lol. But as long as you can get tq to the ground and keep the high hp your car will be faster.

#29 ·
I think there is room to improve with the slicks and will keep going with them but sure at some point i'll drive to the track on DR and will make a pass just for fun.

Thanks !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.