Focus Fanatics Forum banner

new zetec turbo kit

18K views 69 replies 19 participants last post by  ZXthrizzle05 
#1 · (Edited)
thanks to all the people that have helped me along the way on the new zetec kit. i have finally settled on a design that offers every thing i think a focus kit needs.

for the manifold design i settled on a log manifold for my kit instead of the tubular b/c of the time and cost that goes into a manifold like that. it just isnt in the price rang of most focus owner's. if you want a tubular manifold it will have to be a custom piece requiring your car to be at the shop.

the manifold options will simply be schedule 40 mild steel or schedule 10 stainless. stainless being an extra $100 option. i prefer mild because it handles heat better than stainless. the manifold is a top mount that will clear up to a 35r frame turbo, allows you to use a 3" downpipe and still clears stock pcv, stock fans, stock thermostat housing, a/c compressor and lines, and power steering. both manifolds come with a standard 38mm 2 bolt wastegate flange unless you would like another then just let me know.

the oil lines will feed from above the tstat housing using a -3an line for feed and -10an return. the oil line kit will come with all fittings for engine, t3 turbo, and also comes with a oil pan with a return fitting. $50 core required for a pan.

the intercooler kit will include a 2.5" hotside and 3" cold side, 3" maf, and a bov flange of your choice. it will also come with all couplers and tbolt clamps. the 3" cold side piping is ran on the outside of the frame rail for the best flow and will clear the battery. the intercooler is a bar and plate 30x7.5x3 that has brackets to allow mounting with out modding the bumper.

the down pipe is 3" aluminized with o2 bungs and a t3 4 bolt 2.5" turbo outlet flange. if you are wanting to use a different exhaust housing i can send the flange you choose unwelded and you can simply weld it on or have any exhaust shop do it. i can not build a jig for every configuration so i chose the 4 bolt.

the wastegate dump tube is a simple 38mm 2 bolt dump unless you want some thing else.

the kit will also include an aluminum coolant log to replace the factory plastic one so it will clear the top mounted turbo

the kit does not include a turbo, wastegate, blow off valve, fueling, air filter, mafia, or tuning. i am just a fabricator and not an authorized dealer so i can not get these parts any cheaper than you. this will allow you to save more money by sourcing these separately.

all these parts can be separated as well, so if you already have an intercooler or something along those lines just let me know.

the price on the kit is $1400 with the mild steel manifold and oil pan exchange

Thanks
Tim

Turbo Turtle Garage

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
here are some pictures of the kit. only thing not picture i believe is the dump tube. not finished with that yet but it will be simply dumping straight down next to the downpipe

#3 ·

This is a 35r on the manifold

these pictures show the intercooler kit but the intercooler in both is not the same. the first picture has the dimensions i wanted but had to be modded to get them. this is the size my new intercooler will be but will not have to be cut down like this one was. the second was a cheaper designed intercooler that i wasnt happy with but shows the piping routing well.

#6 ·
i'll get you the price soon. i'll need to look up how much the 38mm vband wg flanges would cost me vs the 38mm.

the alum coolant rail can be seen tucked under the upper core support.

Tim

#8 ·
yeah like i said in the first post all the parts are priced separately so you can just let me know what you want and i can get it priced out

Tim

#9 ·
i have decided to drop 100 off the original price. decided to sell the kit for $1400

includes:
mild log manifold (available in stainless)
3" downpipe
wastegate dump tube for 38mm wg
oil line kit with oil pan (core on pan)
full intercooler kit (maf, couplers, clamps, bov flange, mounting bracket, & hardware included)

Tim

#11 ·
That's awesome, any chance you'll have something for the duratec platform in the near future?

#12 ·
yes i will. the plan right now is to build a miata kit next since i have a miata. then put the word out for a donor duratec to build my kit on. right now the only thing i can possibly offer on a duratec is a manifold but would need the car to build the rest of the kit

the plan right now is to make all kits basically the same as far as manifold and piping set ups to save time. i just got a job another fab shop so now i have two jobs plus trying to start my own kits.

Tim

#13 ·
Wow, you've got a lot going on but that's a good thing. Fab work looks great, if I don't have a set-up by the time you have a kit for the duratec I will definitely purchase one from you.

#16 ·
i would suggest Tom at focus power for tuning. you will need an sct, mafia, wbo2, and probably a j&s for tunning with tom.

yes i could work with the svt. only problem with the svt is i still have not had some one with an svt stop by so i can test fitment of my tb piping for the svt. so i can not guarantee the fitment of that one pipe bc i would be just guessing with it

Tim

#20 ·
For SVT owners. All you have to change is the piping from intercooler to throttle body. Not difficult. Kit looks real nice, the top mount is the way to go. Good luck with selling these!!!

#22 ·
it will not interfere. i plan to do the dump tube this week. i have been busy putting a clutch in the miata last week. if it is not able to go straight down as pictured i will put a bend in to move the dump tube away from the o2's. that will be no big deal.

Tim

#24 ·
if i had some of the headlights i would try to build the piping to clear them. same for the foglights. but with out having them i cant guess to make it clear every possible combination of parts

#26 ·
Sorry for the noobish questions, I'm trying to get a turbo on my car and I'm trying to find the best (and hopefully cheapest kit) I can find.

Would this kit affect the exterior of the car in any way? (besides being able to see the intercooler through the front bumper.)

Would I need to move the car battery to the back or will it be possible to reinstall it in the front afterwards.

And lastly, What other parts would I need to complete my turbo set-up (boost controller? Boost timer? gauges?)

Thanks

#28 ·
weather or not you have to move the battery with my kit will depend on the type of air filter you run on the turbo. the cold side charge piping will clear the batter. it requires you to cut a small section of the inner fender behind the headlight. it can not be seen once the pipe is installed and if cut cleanly wouldnt be noticed if the kit was removed later.

the intercooler is the only thing you will be able to see from outside the car. i may be able to get the intercooler in black if your looking to hide it

this kit is not a complete kit it simply comes with the parts the have be fabricated to install a turbo such as manifold, downpipe, wastegate pipe, intercooler piping, intercooler, couplers, oil lines, oil pan, maf housing. it would require you to get a turbo, wastegate, blow off valve, fueling, tuning, gauges. this allows people to go as cost effective or high end as they choose and maybe save money getting some parts used.

a boost controller or turbo timer are not required to run a turbo on any car. a boost controller is only necessary if your going for very high boost levels that cannot be attained by simply changing the wastegate spring. a turbo timer isnt necessary at all IMO b/c its only job is to let the car run after you shut it off to cool the turbo. how often are you shutting the the car off after boost with out letting it run a couple minutes any way. you never do a wot run down the drag strip and shut it off as soon as you cross the line

Tim

#29 ·
Okay awesome and what type of turbo should I get? I've seen a lot of Foci with T3/T4 turbos.

What type of air filter would you recommend?

I've been doing a lot of research and been getting a lot of mixed messages and you seem to be the person who is most knowledgeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.