Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing)

164K views 560 replies 116 participants last post by  devanmc 
#1 · (Edited)
Items you need for the install on your 2012 (If you purchase cancellors or anything else YOU THINK might work your going to waste your time and everyone elses asking why their not lit so follow my instructions)

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html

An H11 35w or greater HID Kit (Same for Foglamps but they dont require anything but the HID kit since they are not monitored by the computer)

Heres some pictures of them Installed going down the road.
While Driving

Behind a Car

Side of Car

Notice this FACTORY PT Cruiser with More light on the Bumper then My car on the Honda in the Previous Picture.

Notice Little to no Glare on the Sign and how sharply the Lights Cut off. (Not a Super Sharp Cutoff but very very Noticable)

On my Private Road.

Highbeams on, Notice you can see a Sign now and before you couldnt.
The Highbeams allow you to see further but not as bright at that distance as an HID Highbeam would be.

During the Day

Enjoy and Please If your not here to contribute anything to this thread do not comment on their legality.

Opinions on how they look are welcome and if their offensive or possible arguement starter I will have them removed.
[cheers]

See less See more
#91 ·
Would the quality of hid's effect if i am recieving errors on the dash? I don't get a dimmer bulb out error message anymore. Now I randomnly get (hillstart assist not available) error. And it sometimes cuts the radio display out. Can anyone give me the website or name of the hid's that work for you? I really think the quality of my current ballasts are questionable.

#109 ·
After reading this thread everything seems quite clear. The only question I have is that will I need one resistor link or two? If the unused plug is the only one causing the issue then only one resistor would be needed. However, in the OP's wiring explanation it says that both sides have a resistor.

#110 ·
I use resistors on both sides without it you have a chance of getting the dipped bulb fault from time to time.

#111 ·
Items you need for the install on your 2012 (If you purchase cancellors or anything else YOU THINK might work your going to waste your time and everyone elses asking why their not lit so follow my instructions)

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html
So I have both of these installed on my car and I still get the error. I'm pretty sure I installed them properly, but without a proper installation guide, I really have no idea.

Can anyone who installed them without getting errors post an installation guide (hopefully a before and after video)?

I currently have the DDM 5000k 35w kit.

#112 ·
So anyone got any pictures of where they grounded the relays and resistors? I basically had to make the ground to the passenger side relay go to the driver side. I also skipped both resistors (with a bulb out error, as expected) and didnt have any problems until this morning where I would have to turn them off and on multiple times until they came on. I know that is probably because of the lack of the resistors but I spent a good couple of hours friday trying to find a decent ground for either side close enough that I would not have to drill or make my own grounds. I basically ran both grounds from the relay to the main grounding post by the battery. So main question is, any pictures at all about where you grounded everything? I mean I can take some pictures after I get off work today and show you all kind of what I had to do but its basically not going to be right for anyone that needs a full how to with pictures. I skipped the resistors for now, couldnt find a decent ground especially on the passenger side.

#113 ·
Use the Top Alternator bracket bolt for the ground on the passenger side. Or use a self tapping screw and ground it to the frame.

#115 ·
I'm thinking about getting a 2013 Escape and I can't decide between an SEL with full leather and halogene headlights or a Titanium with partial leather and HID's. My question is, using your headlights 1-2 hours a day, how long do HID's last and what is the replacement cost.

#119 ·
My Cooper had HID's and I had them on every time I started the car (they were auto on). I ran them like that for 4 years, just about every single day and they were still working just fine. I wouldn't be too worried. Plus if they fail prematurely I'm sure you could complain loud enough for the dealer to warranty them.

#118 ·
From what I have seen, they are suppose to be "Lifetime" Bulbs. I believe most are claimed to last 2500 hours. But my father in law has a chevy malibu with partial leather seats. If its the seats that have some soft cloth in the middle and leather on the outsides go for it. Best leather seats I have ever felt.

#123 ·
Just installed the kit from DDM and they have changed it.
They deleted the loom that went to the battery then to both HID bulbs and one headlight original hardshell.
The new kit uses both original headlight power leads that power each ballast.
Much easier to install. I have not driven it yet but I have no bulb error problem at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.