Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing)

164K views 560 replies 116 participants last post by  devanmc 
#1 · (Edited)
Items you need for the install on your 2012 (If you purchase cancellors or anything else YOU THINK might work your going to waste your time and everyone elses asking why their not lit so follow my instructions)

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html

An H11 35w or greater HID Kit (Same for Foglamps but they dont require anything but the HID kit since they are not monitored by the computer)

Heres some pictures of them Installed going down the road.
While Driving

Behind a Car

Side of Car

Notice this FACTORY PT Cruiser with More light on the Bumper then My car on the Honda in the Previous Picture.

Notice Little to no Glare on the Sign and how sharply the Lights Cut off. (Not a Super Sharp Cutoff but very very Noticable)

On my Private Road.

Highbeams on, Notice you can see a Sign now and before you couldnt.
The Highbeams allow you to see further but not as bright at that distance as an HID Highbeam would be.

During the Day

Enjoy and Please If your not here to contribute anything to this thread do not comment on their legality.

Opinions on how they look are welcome and if their offensive or possible arguement starter I will have them removed.
[cheers]

See less See more
#460 ·
By the way - the steps I took are the following:

1 - Purchased an ELM327 USB unit from ebay; it was dirt cheap, like $10

2 - Downloaded and installed the programs he listed:
FORScan - I got the latest version.
FoCCus - I downloaded the "19-May-2014 00:0417M" version. Download and unzip the content.

3 - Went to the site: http://ford.xtlt.ru/ab/ and entered my VIN number - Changed #14 to Alternative HID, #17 to Without Dimmed Dipped headlights and downloaded the XML file - saved that to my desktop.

4 - Plugged the ELM via USB to my laptop and the OBDII connector - Turned the ignition key on so the reader can pick up the signal to the car's BCM.

5 - Ran the FORScan program to read my car's current configurations etc. I saved a .TXT file of the current Configuration/Strategy to my desktop. You can close the program after you get this information.

6 - Open the unzipped folder containing the FoCCus program and find a folder called VBF - open that folder.

7 - Went to this site for "DSM File Download" - You'll need that text file you saved from FORScan to copy/paste the configuration/strategy into the field at the bottom of the screen. The configuration/strategy codes look like this: AM5T-14D360-CB or BV6N-14C097-AC or BM5T-14C025-AD etc.

As stated before, you may get error message for some for some of the configuration/strategies, but for the ones that are valid, you will get a VBF file to download.

8 - Moved and copied those downloaded VBF files into the FoCCus VBF folder that was opened earlier. I was able to get 4 or 5 of them from my car's configuration/strategy codes.

9 - Plugged the ELM via USB to my laptop and the OBDII connector - Turned the ignition key on (on ACC not all the way) so that the reader can pick up the signal to the car's BCM.

10 - Run the "FoCCus.exe" file. When the small window opens, uncheck "Maximize speed" so the car can connects. Click open to get to the larger window which allows you a few options at the bottom.

11 - At the bottom, you will see “Read from BCM” button, and the fields will change to the car's current ECU settings. I clicked “Save to File” so I could have my current/factory settings safe somewhere - it's an XML file, I suggest you name and date the file. Just in case I needed to use it to write back to the car in case I messed something up.

12 - I then clicked on the "Write to BCM" - Selected the XML file that was created from the site and let the system re-write the changes I made to the car's BCM.

The car will act weird: dash lights will flash, door locks will open/close and radio will turn on/off.

Once done, I removed everything - took the car for a spin - then installed the HID kit without relays and resistors and everything worked out with NO issues.

Totally worth it in my opinion!

#461 ·
Thank you very much for sharing this. I think its a good thing to have this solution in stock, in this type of thread.
I already got mine installed with resistors, but if they broke i'll defenitly work my way with this[twothumbs]
Thanks!

#467 ·
Hey guys I need some help installing the relay harness and resistors for my HIDs in my 2012 focus with projector headlights. Like alot of us I installed hids and got the error message. Then I bought those cancellor cables and found out that didn't help at all. Returned those and order 2 resistors and 2 relay harnesses from that retrosolutions website. I can't figure out how to install these to save my life(even with the supplied diagram) I've just about had it! I've been trying to figure out this dang harness for over 2 hours and haven't gained any ground!!!! IF someone could could walk me through this I would be greatly appreciated because honestly I really don't know what to do next:/

#468 ·
I suggest you try what's written here previously, this will avoid you to buy resistor and all that stuff, which have to be somehow replaced every2-3 years.
By the way - the steps I took are the following:

1 - Purchased an ELM327 USB unit from ebay; it was dirt cheap, like $10

2 - Downloaded and installed the programs he listed:
FORScan - I got the latest version.
FoCCus - I downloaded the "19-May-2014 00:0417M" version. Download and unzip the content.

3 - Went to the site: http://ford.xtlt.ru/ab/ and entered my VIN number - Changed #14 to Alternative HID, #17 to Without Dimmed Dipped headlights and downloaded the XML file - saved that to my desktop.

4 - Plugged the ELM via USB to my laptop and the OBDII connector - Turned the ignition key on so the reader can pick up the signal to the car's BCM.

5 - Ran the FORScan program to read my car's current configurations etc. I saved a .TXT file of the current Configuration/Strategy to my desktop. You can close the program after you get this information.

6 - Open the unzipped folder containing the FoCCus program and find a folder called VBF - open that folder.

7 - Went to this site for "DSM File Download" - You'll need that text file you saved from FORScan to copy/paste the configuration/strategy into the field at the bottom of the screen. The configuration/strategy codes look like this: AM5T-14D360-CB or BV6N-14C097-AC or BM5T-14C025-AD etc.

As stated before, you may get error message for some for some of the configuration/strategies, but for the ones that are valid, you will get a VBF file to download.

8 - Moved and copied those downloaded VBF files into the FoCCus VBF folder that was opened earlier. I was able to get 4 or 5 of them from my car's configuration/strategy codes.

9 - Plugged the ELM via USB to my laptop and the OBDII connector - Turned the ignition key on (on ACC not all the way) so that the reader can pick up the signal to the car's BCM.

10 - Run the "FoCCus.exe" file. When the small window opens, uncheck "Maximize speed" so the car can connects. Click open to get to the larger window which allows you a few options at the bottom.

11 - At the bottom, you will see “Read from BCM” button, and the fields will change to the car's current ECU settings. I clicked “Save to File” so I could have my current/factory settings safe somewhere - it's an XML file, I suggest you name and date the file. Just in case I needed to use it to write back to the car in case I messed something up.

12 - I then clicked on the "Write to BCM" - Selected the XML file that was created from the site and let the system re-write the changes I made to the car's BCM.

The car will act weird: dash lights will flash, door locks will open/close and radio will turn on/off.

Once done, I removed everything - took the car for a spin - then installed the HID kit without relays and resistors and everything worked out with NO issues.

Totally worth it in my opinion!

Either way, if you wanna go resistor route, You can look at my tread (watch my last post there)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302074&page=3

Hope it helps

#479 ·
well I seem to be the only one who has problems haha. I followed the walk through and I am only getting the driver side to power up. tried both with a connector wired to the battery and both fired up so I have a feeling that my ballasts are not getting enough power to fire. I have tried both retrofit source 35's and also xenon depot hids kits.

my questions are

one I was getting a BCM fault 2001 when using alternative hid didn't seem to cause issues but wouldn't clear. anyone else notice this?

And two, using alternative hids and a relay harness. would this cause any issues? I'm thinking best of both worlds. hids get full power from harness and no faults on the dash. any one try this ?
Thanks

#480 ·
Yip

You tried the BCM Mod way right? I didn't get any error codes for mine, but you should be able to clear with the ELM327 OBDII reader. If anything, you should've read and saved the factory settings somewhere - which means you could always re-upload those settings back to the system and start fresh! :)

After the BCM mod, I got rid of all aftermarket harnesses from my car - no more resistors, no more relay harness etc. I'm using an 'Innovited' kit from Amazon they're the 4300K 55W AC H11; they're plugged directly to my stock headlight harness on both sides and have been working flawlessly ever since I did the mod. ;)

#484 ·
How are you trying to connect them?
I have a canadian car, with DRL, and i got mine to work. Have been 3 years I have my HID's now.. no issues at all...

I have installed HID's on many different cars (about 20) for familly and friends..
Look at my installation/set up if it can help you... or P.M me if you want.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302074&page=3

#492 ·
Yup... I've noticed though, it now does make reference to aftermarket HID projector retrofits, which I don't remember it saying before.

#494 ·
Well. I attempted to I stall HID's in my Spyder projector headlights and they work great.
I haven't finished the install but I wored everything up on the engine bay and it works, no bulb fault light or anything. I will be updating when I install them permanently later this week.

#496 ·
The cutoff is actually totally fine. I seen someone on FocusST.org post pictures of Spyder headlights where the cutoff line had a ghost effect but when I aimed the headlight at the wall it looked totally fine.
I will update tho.

Here is the cutoff line with super white headlight bulbs which I'm still currently running

#498 ·
You did... However, if you do a search for Focccus, you can find info on how to set them up without needing the relay harness...

#503 ·
The reason he said to go with resistors (its said in the thread a couple of times) is that the canbus harness is a crapshoot... For most it doesnt work, for some itll work for a while and then cut out, or one side will just not work ever, and a few rare individuals it works perfect for years... The resistors work every time, all the time. The focccus software negates the need for either, just plug the ballast into your stock bulb socket and off you go...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.