Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Turbo build

26K views 169 replies 26 participants last post by  FordManSVT 
#1 ·
So I started my turbo build. Using and SPA manifold, t3t04e turbo. Tial wastgate and BOV. 60 lb injectors, 2.5 inch intercooler piping. 3 inch blow through MAF tube. 3 inch exhasut all the way back. Just had a question about the J&S everyone talks about. does everyone with a turbo run this safegaurd? The car is not going to run any longer than to make sure nothing leaks and drive on the trailer to go to the dyno to get tuned. Ill post pics later of the progress.

Matt

#2 ·
Just an FYI... It seems that everyone (including myself) who has run a 3" Blow-Thru MAF housing has been through hell trying to tune it correctly. There has been a couple of DIY'ers that have run the OEM MAF meter with a 2.5" Blow-Thru housing & the Diablosport MAFia. I plan on coverting to this setup when I return from deployment. My idle has gone to crap between the 3" MAF Housing and the Mustang MAF Meter being used.

#4 ·
Your issue isnt with the 3 inch MAF tube but with the tuner LOL, The 3 inch and the 2.5 are the same to tune its just knowing how to do it , yes blowthrough it a little trickier to do mainly because people make it harder then it has to be in the tuning part

Even with the 3 inch MAF you will need the diablo MAFia , loose the not needed Mustang MAF and use the Focus MAF , Never understood using the Mustang MAF

Tom

#6 ·
Put it this way had I bought a J&S when I installed my turbo I'd probably still be on my stock motor....two sides to that, I'd still be on a stock motor and would have a little fatter wallet and I would still be on my stock motor and probably would feel as safe running 20pounds of boost....I say get one its money well spent.

#11 ·
Not that I have a bunch of experience with tuning, but I have to agree with Tom. A lot of shops don't understand that the SVT is a lot different than a typical Honda or even a Mustang. Even if they're good at tuning Mustangs, it won't mean they're good at tuning SVTs.

#12 ·
I dont under stand why some people cant tune a blow through MAF... its very simple to do.

#14 ·
Good luck on the build.... its nice to see another turbo's Comp Orange on here.

#18 ·
When my buddy did his build he ended up not likeing the SPA wastegate at all... the stupid thing would stick and the boost would spike.

1turbofocus makes an adapter that allows you to run a turbonetics Evolution wastegate ... which works infinitly better.

#22 ·
Looks nice.

I to will add to the J&S is a MUST!

I lost my stock motor as well cause I didnt have one. And I had a local MUSTANG SHOP tune it. Big mistake.

Right now tuning with Tom, during this process I have watched the J&S Show me issues I would have never known where there.

#24 ·
Yeah I will get the JS as soon as i can. I guess he isnt making them right now. Once it is tuned im am going to take it easy on it untill i get my js. It has a stock clutch in it as well, which probly wont last too long. the J&S saregaurd is a ignition control module that can modify the timing to prevent detination.

#25 ·
Sounds like me two years ago.....depending on your definition of easy I know 12psi w/o a J&S and the stock knock sensor on will pop a motor.

#29 ·
Just to chime in, I also don't see where to find a J&S. I definitely need one as I'm shooting for over 300whp daily driven. I went to their main website and it looks like you can order over the phone...but they don't say if it's in stock or not. Doesn't look like CFM is giving an ETA on when they'll have it.

#30 ·
Personally I would NOT run the car without the J&S...

And NO I dont think the motor would last the weekend without it... you can NOT use the stock knock sensor (ECU wise) to control knock on the SVT with ANY type of Fored induction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.