Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Powerworks install questions/clarifications

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: Install has been completed since mid december. Leaving this post for anyone in the future to reference:

I'm going to cross post this here since I haven't received any useful help or replies from my post on FJ...

Long time lurker, finally coming out of the dark to ask a few questions related to the powerworks install since I will be starting it next Sunday (specifically on the ZX3, but my first question would be the same for either application).

I have read through the installation pdf countless times to make sure I understand the procedure (I have transmission swapped/brake swapped/suspension install/timing belt/water pump job my car, so I am fairly confident in my mechanical abilities), but I am looking for clarification on a few parts of the install (and if someone would clarify with some amazing pictures since I am much more a visual learner, I would greatly appreciate it ):

1) Routing of the coolant line from the reservoir to the low temp radiator.

Last night I put the coolant tank in and tried routing the hose down towards where the radiator would be getting mounted, but I always ended up with the hose getting some sort of kink in it. I'm sure for some reason I had a mental block and the solution was right in front of me, but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out lol (if someone takes pictures of this, maybe they can snap pictures of how the line from the radiator to the pump is routed also even though I had the line in place.. just seeing if my idea was right)

2) Exactly where does the remote filter mount get mounted.

I read the directions and saw the small pictures they include, but I guess it just wan't as clear as I was hoping for. In my mind the oil filter pointing outwards just doesn't seem right (perspective from their pictures makes it seem like it is really close to the wheel well.

3) Vacuum line routing, specifically the electronic vacuum regulator.

As stated, I have a ZX3, and I am running the SVT header and EGR delete. I left the DPFE and electronic vacuum regulator mounted with electrical harnesses plugged in (EGR is disabled in tune), with the vacuum line running from the intake manifold to vacuum regulator attached, and the small tube from the vacuum regulator to the DPFE sensor still attached since I had nothing at the time to plug the nipple on the intake manifold. I would assume that since EGR is disabled in my tune, I can just keep those things out of the car once I install the powerworks. Am I correct?

I think that is all the questions/clarifications that I can think of at this moment. Thanks!

#3 ·
if you have the PDF it should be simple

1. if the hose keeps kinking maybe its not the original and might have to add elbow in the line at some point

2. cant help you with that the PDF should tell you i have a svt and that gets mounted
in the driver side fender

3. Vacuum lines should only fit and reach one way , if the pdf is not helping you with that you have wrong part or should not be taking on a supercharger install

#5 ·
if you have the PDF it should be simple
It was simple, just the pictures suck (or lackof pictures) in that pdf at times.

1. if the hose keeps kinking maybe its not the original and might have to add elbow in the line at some point
All the hoses were original. That step (83) didn't have a picture for it and I finally found the small spot to run it.

2. cant help you with that the PDF should tell you i have a svt and that gets mounted in the driver side fender
Mounted fine. Perspective in their pictures makes it seem like it's close to the wheel but there is enough room.

3. Vacuum lines should only fit and reach one way , if the pdf is not helping you with that you have wrong part or should not be taking on a supercharger install
Question wasn't about vacuum lines at all, but the two electrical pieces of hardware that connect to the harness. Answer is (for anyone that happens to stumble across this) is if you have no egr and it's disabled via tune, the actual DFPE and EVR units can be unplugged and left out.

All in all, the install went fine and the car has been running for five weeks without any major issues (minus a small coolant from the tank) and has survived it's first pwsc'd auto-x a couple weeks ago :)

#4 ·
so i looked at my car and the coolant hose from reservoir runs down under the passenger side headlight and around the frame making a big loop into the heat exchanger then from the heat exchanger into the pump ( mounted under battery on frame) with a short hose , almost a straight shot to pump then from the pump it runs up under the coil along the head into the intake manifold then from the manifold along the firewall , under the power steering reservoir(zip tied along with other hoses) into the tank, its really close to the belt and that reason for zipties. Now the oil filter , it faces out towards fender well and is mounted on frame and frame had be notched just a little . good luck took me about 18 hrs to install

#6 ·
Interesting that you had to notch the frame a little, mine fit perfectly. Slight manufacturing differences I bet.

#9 ·
yeah not sure its been about 8 yrs now since i installed mine cant really remember why we notched it but it was def. a clearance issue . Be careful of that awful permacool relocation kit , it was the death of my engine recently and it wasnt the lines, i had a stick poke a hole in the filter and didnt realize till to late.

#10 ·
I already have plans to fashion a sturdy but easy to remove sheet of aluminum to keep anything from hitting it. Also have an oil pressure gauge so I can see if I have a sudden loss of pressure and hopefully enough time to shut down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.