Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Useless TPMS?

24K views 109 replies 41 participants last post by  Lscman 
#1 ·
TPMS Sensors for new wheels

I have a set of wheels off my 91 Thunderbird that I want to put snow tires on for this coming winter. I know the wheels fit. What I dont know is what sensors do I need for the stupid TPMS system. Can I use the tire valve ones or do they have to be the more expensive band types?

Also, anyone know where I can order some OEM or aftermarket one cheap? I checked Rock Auto and it looks like the senesors and the bands are 2 separate part numbers and end up being $80+ total per wheel.

#7 ·
Technically, you don't even have to get them, but your car will yell at you at every startup. I got my steelies/winter tires on ebay. But I never even sync'd my sensors... so I have no clue if they even work. I probably wasted the $90+ I paid for them.

EDIT: I'll buy one of those fancy reset tools when I'm good and ready.

#20 ·
There's a website you can go to to check tire size changes with different size rims to tires and such. I forget what it is though. It's damn close for the 205/60/r16. I've always run 60s in the winter with my mk1 face lift. Slightly thinner tire never hurts for the winter.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

#16 ·
I'm just going to buy a set of inexpensive 15" alloys from TireRack and mount the Blizzaks from the old Mazda on 'em without the TPMS sensors. I could care less about the "notification" at startup.

#21 ·
Hey, quick question for you guys.

I know I'm bumping the thread, but I need to learn a few more things regarding the TPMS.
I intend on running separate rims/tires for winter. By doing so, I need 4 new TPMS units.

Can these units be purchased from a 3rd party retailer (eBay, auto parts store, etc.), or must I go to the stealership? Can I purchase them at the same time I buy my winter tires with steelies from a tire shop?

From what I understand, the TPMSs have to be programmed to the vehicle, and I'm not certain whom, other than the stealership, is able to do so.

Thanks for the help.

#22 ·
Hey, quick question for you guys.

or must I go to the stealership? Can I purchase them at the same time I buy my winter tires with steelies from a tire shop?

From what I understand, the TPMSs have to be programmed to the vehicle, and I'm not certain whom, other than the stealership, is able to do so.

Thanks for the help.
No, you can go 3rd party. I got a set from Tire Rack when I was buying my winters about a year ago. They do have to be programmed to the system which the dealership can do easily or you can buy the little tool and do it yourself if plan on swapping them back and forth your self (forgot how much the thing costs).

#23 ·
So just installed my winter tire/wheel combo from tire rack. I went with 15" steelies and the michelin x ice 3 tire with tpms sensers. I also splurged and bought the $45 tpms reset tool. Wondering if I wasted money on the tool and the sensors. Haven't had to reset anything. No chime and no light on startup??? Anyone else experience this or could the tpms light just not be working?

#31 ·
FoMoCo TPMS stem sensors are self-setting. I confirmed this with my brother-in-law (a Michelin Tire Dealer) and the dealer too.
I have the Titanium Performance Pkg with 18" rims and a 16" steel full size spare. I had the dealer order 4 more matching steels (why have 3 different rims?) with 4 TPMS's at dealer cost (I used to work there) and Michelin X-Ice x2 winters from brother-in-law.
Once the car was on the road fo a few minutes the TPMS light went out and no problems since.
I keep the winters in michelin tire-totes and swap at first snow fall.

#32 ·
Well ill give it a week or so before I return the tpms programming tool. I put on a lot of miles so I should find out soon if I get the warning light. But has anyone here actually had to program the tpms sensors with a programming tool on their focus? I wonder if they really are self setting.

#37 ·
I'm visiting the dealer this afternoon, I'll get another opinion on that. My wife drives a 2009 Honda Accord V6 EX-Navi (works there), and the dealer had to re-program the new TPMS's on her steelies after her brother put on winters. Her brother (the tire dealer) said to have them programmed, but that the Ford stem-type, on mine would self program.
Must admit, I'm now confused by some of the contradictory posts!

#39 ·
Not sure if its driven by # of miles or # of drive cycle events before it detects either no sensors or the wrong ones, but you could save yourself the trouble and just trigger them properly and then not have to worry.

#41 ·
I just got my winters thrown on last Saturday. Made the mistake of assuming that they would just know to take care of it and reset the sensors. Should have double-checked before I left though. Had to head out to the in-laws on Sunday and about 45 minutes into our drive down the Thruway, BAM, there is the warning. Guess I have to head back there this Saturday and get them to reprogram as I am sick of the warning on every startup.

#48 ·
I bought my TPMS sensors off ebay and was told they should work with any training/reprogramming tool. Should I get the tool from tirerack? What if it still doesn't work? :-\

#75 ·
No, the sensors are still there. Where do you park at night though, relative to where you keep your tires? It is a proximity thing. One of the sales guys at my dealership got his Focus a week after mine last year (even though he ordered a week before me, he was pissed when mine showed up and he didn't have his yet). He got winters but didn't bother with the sensors. He also keeps his summers in the garage where he parks every night. I asked him if he ran into any problems and he said he didn't at first but outside of work an minor errands, he was always back in his garage every evening. When he took his family out of state to visit some relatives for the holidays they drove for the day, stayed in a hotel, and the next morning when he went out to continue on, his warning came on.

I have a small garage (I don't even park in it, I park in front of it) so I keep my extra set of tires in the shed in the back corner of my yard, away from where I park. I'm running back to dealership on Saturday so I'll confirm either way but as others have said, if they self-program why do they sell the tool to reset them (and why did they have to reset them the last two times they swapped my tires)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.