Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing)

164K views 560 replies 116 participants last post by  devanmc 
#1 · (Edited)
Items you need for the install on your 2012 (If you purchase cancellors or anything else YOU THINK might work your going to waste your time and everyone elses asking why their not lit so follow my instructions)

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html

An H11 35w or greater HID Kit (Same for Foglamps but they dont require anything but the HID kit since they are not monitored by the computer)

Heres some pictures of them Installed going down the road.
While Driving

Behind a Car

Side of Car

Notice this FACTORY PT Cruiser with More light on the Bumper then My car on the Honda in the Previous Picture.

Notice Little to no Glare on the Sign and how sharply the Lights Cut off. (Not a Super Sharp Cutoff but very very Noticable)

On my Private Road.

Highbeams on, Notice you can see a Sign now and before you couldnt.
The Highbeams allow you to see further but not as bright at that distance as an HID Highbeam would be.

During the Day

Enjoy and Please If your not here to contribute anything to this thread do not comment on their legality.

Opinions on how they look are welcome and if their offensive or possible arguement starter I will have them removed.
[cheers]

See less See more
#44 ·
I have made my own focus also :) thanks
http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n500/Kevin_Plourde/

HID to fogs installed (4300K)
HID to low beams (6000K)
LED daytime running lights (5x LED 6 W)
Window tint done (20% back, 50% front)
Black stripe in front windshield
New speakers all over (Polk MOMO in doors, JL tweeters added by myself - I didn't have any on my focus Model)
2 x 12'' kicker subwoofer installed + capacitor + amplificator (alpine)
so That's my focus :D

#49 ·
I like it! I am on the fence with the HID's for my car after hearing about the extra glare without the projector style buckets. So I want to ask if you had anyone flash their high beams at you yet? Has it been a problem? I've priced the kit through DDM and it's only 55.00, thats about what the OEM h11 bulbs cost.

#52 ·
Still wont work. Go to retro-solutions and get the harness you need before you waste your money. Trust me. You will be the 100th person to ask why their headlights arent working.

#54 ·
im not trying to be a dick about it I know from first hand that its not an issue with the error cancellor its the way the headlamps get power. The relay harness lets them get power from a solid 12-14 volt source which is needed to keep and hid running. the headlights on deceleration see only 9volts something Ford did to cut back on gas useage during decel.

#62 ·
You don't want to be messing around with trying to save $50 and frying your car. Get the harness, get the resistors. Fords can not sufficiently power the 35watt ballasts on the stock set-up. It might work for a while but you'll see issues. I had a 2010 Fusion Hybrid and the plug and play did NOT cut it. Flickering, flashing etc. Sometimes only one light would come on. When I installed the harness, all those problems went away. Just get the 2012 Focus Digital Kit from Retro. It's a bit of a pain to find a permanent solution on where to mount the super hot resistors, but you'll figure it out.

#64 ·
I have a fused relay and the resistors from retro solutions. I have everything hooked up but i am still getting the error when first turning them on. I am getting occasional flickering etc. I was wondering if it is a polarity issue with the wiring

#65 · (Edited)
No it is not if wired correctly there shouldnt be any dipped bulb or flickering. I may have to do a right up or show some pictures of how each resistor should be wired because I believe most is wiring it into the relay and not into the headlight.

#66 ·
Ok, so i got a wiring diagram from retro, and still am getting squat!

got both on, then one goes out...then the other

or i get flickering... then it goes out...

they last only a few moments before either, occasionally i still get the dipped beam error!

#67 ·
I believe focus boy is right. Most people including myself are installing the resisters to the relay harness instead of directly to the headlights. My friend will be taking a look at my setup either tomorrow or Wednesday. I will post my findings soon

#68 ·
Dude those look great! I have been nervous to install aftermarket HIDs. My last Focus (2002) had lots of electrical issues and my Mazda 3 had them from the factory. Any problems so far?

Items you need for the install on your 2012

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html

An H11 35w or greater HID Kit (Same for Foglamps)

Heres some pictures of them Installed going down the road.
While Driving

Behind a Car

Side of Car

Notice this FACTORY PT Cruiser with More light on the Bumper then My car on the Honda in the Previous Picture.

Notice Little to no Glare on the Sign and how sharply the Lights Cut off. (Not a Super Sharp Cutoff but very very Noticable)

On my Private Road.

Highbeams on, Notice you can see a Sign now and before you couldnt.
The Highbeams allow you to see further but not as bright at that distance as an HID Highbeam would be.

During the Day

Enjoy and Please If your not here to contribute anything to this thread do not comment on their legality.

Opinions on how they look are welcome and if their offensive or possible arguement starter I will have them removed.
[cheers]

#69 ·
I don't care what the thread title says.

FYI, every time one of you clowns pulls behind someone and blinds them with these things, they probably want to beat you to death with a tire iron.

Why don't you stop being little children and stop compromising other peoples safety because you think it looks "cool".

#70 ·
I do care what the thread title says.

I'll go look for the websites rules on this issue and your post and I will send them to you. I agree that certain cars do NOT need these lights installed as they are an extreme safety concern like the 2000-2007 Foci without projectors.

HOWEVER, there are many cars made today from the factory without projectors and have hid's that do not cause issues due to the lamp design and a good cut off.

So far the 2008-2012 Foci have lenses that do not cause a glare with hids and actually have a good cut off and have been proven via video and pictures.

is it DOT approved, NOPE. neither is limo tint on a car. but i dont see anyone making statements on peoples tint. Tint can hinder a police officers view into a car and could put his life in danger.

if your intention is to start drama, im asking nicely tht you take it elsewhere.

if you want to bring up certain concerns for discussion and inform people nicely, that's fine and we appreciate it.

please do not start any unwanted issues.

#78 ·
is it DOT approved, NOPE. neither is limo tint on a car. but i dont see anyone making statements on peoples tint. Tint can hinder a police officers view into a car and could put his life in danger.

if your intention is to start drama, im asking nicely tht you take it elsewhere.

if you want to bring up certain concerns for discussion and inform people nicely, that's fine and we appreciate it.

please do not start any unwanted issues.
Not to start any drama but I do feel the need to chime in (this post should not be considered "argueing"). People with tint can, and should, roll down their windows when they get pulled over. As should people without tint. That's common courtosey to the police officer.

In addition, tint does not bother other drivers on the road. I think the reason this is such a flame-ish issue is because people feel the need to put on these headlights that are exceedingly bright and downright blinding to others on the road. Not only does it look stupid, but it's dangerous. At least a limo tint is not hindering other's ability to drive around them.

And as far as the Focus having great headlights for the purpose of HID's, please look at this guy's thread. It even hurts my eyes to look at the photo, let alone how blinding it would be to see in real life.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276274

One last thing. If this is meant to be a "Info Only No Argu"e"ing" thread, maybe it should be locked and stickied. I thought the purpose of forums was so that people could share their opinions.

Anyway, you are the moderator so hopefully this post does not get me banned. Lol.

I found these pics of a Titanium with the Focus Electric headlights on it. IMO this is the way HID's should be done on a Focus. And also the way I plan on doing it. (either ST or Electric healdights/taillight swap).

#81 ·
Not to start any drama but I do feel the need to chime in (this post should not be considered "argueing"). People with tint can, and should, roll down their windows when they get pulled over. As should people without tint. That's common courtosey to the police officer.

In addition, tint does not bother other drivers on the road. I think the reason this is such a flame-ish issue is because people feel the need to put on these headlights that are exceedingly bright and downright blinding to others on the road. Not only does it look stupid, but it's dangerous. At least a limo tint is not hindering other's ability to drive around them.

And as far as the Focus having great headlights for the purpose of HID's, please look at this guy's thread. It even hurts my eyes to look at the photo, let alone how blinding it would be to see in real life.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276274

One last thing. If this is meant to be a "Info Only No Argu"e"ing" thread, maybe it should be locked and stickied. I thought the purpose of forums was so that people could share their opinions.

Anyway, you are the moderator so hopefully this post does not get me banned. Lol.

I found these pics of a Titanium with the Focus Electric headlights on it. IMO this is the way HID's should be done on a Focus. And also the way I plan on doing it. (either ST or Electric healdights/taillight swap).

Hi, the front and rear light are exactly the same as mine...
Chris

#72 ·
Agreed. Or Find a way to Convert to the Focus EV headlights even though the HID feature would need to be turned on by the factory. I want the EV headlamps and taillamps.

If all that seems to complicated just know your headlights dont bother anyone. When done right you will never get a highbeam.

#75 ·
i like the look of those HIDs but im really tired of messing with the relays and resistors and all

i followed the diagram provided by retro and still no go... but yea....

for those of you rockin em, they look great!

#99 ·
I have ordered my HIDs but have wondered about the lamp error problem. So I had an idea to test and it worked. The HID uses one side as a relay to turn them on. The error comes form the side not being used.
So why not use it for a engine bay light? My car does not have one so I am going to add one. I tried a single filament bulb hooked up to the head light wires and there was not a lamp error.
Now I will have to test over a longer period of time to make sure it will always work. Wanted to share this with others that were having this problem.

#79 ·
it's not arguing at all.

I agree. projectors are the way to go. Not only for the best output possible, but for safety.

there are few cars you can sneak hids into and not have issues, but for the most part projectors are needed/required.

#82 ·
Finally got my hid's to work! The resisters were plugged into the harness. I would show u all the pics I have but for some reason Photobucket once downloaded to my phone won't let me uninstall it . Anyways there is minimal glare and my next project is 3000k for the fogs

#84 ·
Forgive me for my lack of HID knowledge, but I have a question/request.

Can anybody tell me or show me what the bulb/headlight assembly looks like with HID's during the day or with the lights OFF? I'm running some Nokya H9's currently & my high/low beam bulbs are blue in color (unlit), therefore the color blue is reflected around my headlight assembly & I hate the look.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.