Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2015 - Is an RS Focus in your future?

73K views 342 replies 105 participants last post by  Gi_Jo_Nathan 
#1 ·
2015 Ford Focus RS

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-focus-rs-expected-2015

The interwebs overfloweth this week with more anxious reports of the return of Ford’s compact giant slayer, the Focus RS. Britain’s Autocar made the boldest claims of the bunch, going so far as to essentially state that the RS is a done deal, tossing in some rendered images to sweeten the story. While the Autocar report neglects to name names, they claim sources at Ford report that the RS is under development, and “sign-off for the project is imminent, dependent on final analysis showing a business case for it to sit beside the new, European-bound Mustang, which is confirmed for 2014.”

Car and Driver has been on the trail of a new Focus RS for a few months now, so we thought we’d reach out to our own sources at Ford for a quick update on the RS situation. First, our insiders were quick to tell us that it’s not uncommon for engineers working on a project to “leak” information in hopes of influencing corporate decisions when it comes time approve a future product, which leads us to believe at least a few Ford engineers are clinging to hopes of a rebirth of the hot-hatch version of the Focus. That said, our sources indicated that if the RS does, in fact, make the jump from fanboy fiction to a genuine showroom artifact, it almost certainly would be a global vehicle, citing the company’s decision to take the Edge and Mustang to Europe as examples of the company’s dedication to the One Ford strategy.

One of the most-talked-about hurdles to the fruition of a new Focus RS is how it would sit in Ford’s lineup alongside the Mustang. If the RS were produced, it likely would produce as much power as a V-6–powered Mustang, and the pair’s prices wouldn’t differ too much, either. However, Autocar reports that Ford sees these cars satisfying two different market, calling them “complementary” to one another.

Do you think the Ford Focus RS will be US Bound? discuss:

See less See more
#274 ·
Anyone hoping for AWD is a sucker. You heard it from me first. Mad? Good.

No desire for an RS. To bring it here, it'll be too expensive, and I won't be able to afford it. I'm happy with my Fiesta ST. I want an AWD performance car in the high 30s, I can buy an STi. It'd be better anyways.

#275 ·
I think the Focus RS would work well alongside the Mustang. Heck, they both could even use the same EcoBoost 4 cylinder that's supposed to be in the new 'stang if they want to have the best economies of scale to make sense in the business department. I don't think people will seriously cross-shop the two since they are completely different types of vehicles: one is a compact, FWD hot hatch and the other is a RWD pony car. The differences between the two offer major differences in driving experience, passenger/cargo practicality, etc., and in my opinion there is plenty of room for both of them in Ford's lineup.

#281 ·
For now the RS is on hold until after the new Mustang launch.

After that it would be a good idea to introduce it.

How many years has it been with radical new Mustangs proposed? Now there's no need to mess with the Mustang formula while still putting out a "Halo" car with more relevance to the rest of the model line.

As GT500's help sell mustangs, a Focus RS could help sell all the FWD cars in the lineup. Eventually even AWD cars if that version is introduced.

#282 ·
Problem with everyone wanting the focus to be AWD. Ford doesn't give their customers what they want.

Me and millions others is still waiting on that V8 supercab ranger.... They would discontinue the focus before you will ever see AWD. Just sayin.

#285 ·
I read somewhere Ford is discontining the Falcon in Aus. in '16 or '17. Ford had that platform for yrs & never brought it over here, why not? For cars, Ford seems to think everone needs or wants a fwd platform except the mustang.

#288 ·
They should do a Fusion ST. Put a manual in the AWD Titanium Fusion, tweak the suspension and tuning, and slap some recaros in that sucker. Give it something like 280-300bhp with the existing engine through a bigger exhaust, better flow, and more aggressive tuning and they'd have something to brag about. They set the precedent already with the Mondeo ST220.

Not sure how many years the Fiesta ST will last on these shores, so I'm glad I got one. :D

#290 ·
They should do a Fusion ST. Put a manual in the AWD Titanium Fusion, tweak the suspension and tuning, and slap some recaros in that sucker. Give it something like 280-300bhp with the existing engine through a bigger exhaust, better flow, and more aggressive tuning and they'd have something to brag about. They set the precedent already with the Mondeo ST220.
This^^^^^^^^^^^ + ford has the parts to do!!!!!!
Not sure how many years the Fiesta ST will last on these shores, so I'm glad I got one. :D
I'm sure it'll last for quite awhile, as it really helps Ford w/ cafe & gets ppl into smaller cars & its the best sub compact performance car for the money.

#301 ·
I'm sure they're going to introduce it in limited numbers to see how fast it sells outside of typical salon purchases (companies using it as a billboard, or celebrities buying it for exclusivity, as Ken Block is likely to do). If regular-schmoe sales are a good percentage of its limited run, then they'll probably release a 2016.5 in higher quantities.

So some well-to-do no-name enthusiasts are going to need to bite the bullet and pick these up at their premium prices to make them available to the rest of us a few months down the road. :D

#302 ·
....yea,... finally my car in all wheel drive. I have the 2013 ST too. (And a Quaife LSD under the kitchen table waiting)... If I can't have a Fusion in 3.5 Turbo AWD to bring back the Detroit Muscle title I'll settle for a Focus 2.3, 330hp from the factory as a base platform. For transmission, 6 speed manual standard, and 6speed paddle shift optional...

#304 ·
Not sure what mag's you're reading but every source online & on you tube says AWD & a new ecoboost. It's going to be replacing the ST so no, it wont be produced on a limited run or anything like that....

Here's a reputable source right here that includes a you tube video for your viewing pleasure... I'm more concerned about price... I don't want to pay $30,000+ for a car that will lose it's resell value by more than half in the first year.....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-videos/video-2016-focus-rs-shows-off-awd-chops

#309 ·
I have to agree with that statement. Especially since the Golf R will eventually be sold with only 2 doors! I have no need or use for anything with 4 doors.

#317 ·
Let's face it the rumor mill is going to be running on overtime until that Detroit show. It should be a very entertaining month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.