Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rotor Upgrade Questions

5K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  DarderSauce 
#1 ·
Hello All!

Well I finally got everything I needed to upgrade my rear drum breaks to disk breaks. Well almost everything, I told the seller I did not want the rear rotors because they looked to be rather rusty and I wasn't sure if there was any warping so I figured I would just get a new set, plus the parts were cheaper to ship w/out them. The break lines were also not included.

The only problem I am having now is trying to figure out which rotors/lines I should purchase [scratch]

Wondering if anyone can recommend a solid set of rotors that would work for a long time in bad MN winters with lots of salt. I would like to get rotors that have the center (hub) painted black because in my experience removing a set that is rusted on can be a PITA (see -->[smackbum]) and that's supposed to help prevent rust

Rotors by DarderSauce, on Flickr

Also not really looking for drilled/slotted for the following reasons:
1. I think they are more likely to crack (may be wrong)
2. most of them (excluding the very expensive) are not cast like that, instead they are machined afterwards
3. I have solid rotors on the front so drilled/slotted on just the rear would look dumb (IMHO).

I know I need to get new break lines that are a bit longer but don't want to have to go through the hassle of having them made. I want to make sure I get a set that has all the correct fittings on both ends so I don't have to do any modifications to get them to work. If you could recommend a set of lines as well I would appreciate it. Remember..... links on where each can be purchased are GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEAT!!

I apologize for starting a new thread about this as I am sure the information is out there but asking a quick question will save me time in searching so I appreciate all responses, especially since I am sure the answers to these questions will be repeats. Thanks so much fellas!

See less See more
#2 ·
napa premium if you looking for a good set for not a lot of $$$.....been using them for the last maybe 25,000km with no issues...i painted the hats black when i got them and covered the hub and behind the rotor with anti-seize. i also live in a snowy/salty/sh** ty climate so rust is an issue for me as well!!

#3 ·
Centric is the most popular manufacturer of coated rotor (hats and edges). Just remember these are E-coated which is not as durable as powder coating or paint. It will eventually fade, wear, and rust like any other rotor. But they are, nevertheless, a well made rotor for the price. Other good (non coated) solid rotors include Brembo and the mentioned NAPA premiums.

You are justified in not wanting slotted or especially drilled rotors. Slotted rotors have a place on the track but that's about it. The drilled rotors you see on an occasional Porsche, Benz, etc. bear little resemblance to the ones commonly sold online. Their primary function is to minimize water vapor forming under the huge calipers those cars often have. They have small "cast" in holes that are chamfered and are made of premium (high carbon content) metals. They will still spider web (structural heat induced cracks) and can cost a small fortune to replace. Both drilled and or slotted rotors will also accelerate pad wear. The primary function of a slotted rotor is to scape the rotor surface of any glazing that might occur from overheating. The easiest way to solve this problem is to use a pad with friction material of the proper heat range for the intended use.

#4 ·
I have centric blank rotors on my impreza and with hawk pads and it stops better than just about anything I have ever driven. It had the oem brakes on it before hand(58k miles) and the change was amazingly pleasing. Stops fast resists heat well and has thus far held up amazingly to my abusive driving. I have yet to cause the brakes to fade due to heat.

#5 ·
Alright so since all ford foci from 01-11 have the same bolt pattern (4x108 IIRC) all I have to say is I want rear rotors for a ford focus correct? I know it is a dumb question but I would rather sound dumb on the internet than when I am face to face with someone.

Sorry but I have a feeling if I try explaining my brake setup they will look at me like I am a tard/say you can't do that.

Any way, sorry for the noob questions.

#10 ·
I'd simply tell them you want SVT rotors for the rear (or whatever model you got them from) and front rotors for the particular year and model Focus you have. It need not be anymore difficult than that. If they give you a dumb look simply tell them you upgraded the rear from drums to discs using available stock parts from another model Focus.

#14 ·
Stock '05-'11 rotor diamater= 10.9'' & svt rear rotor diameter is 11'= close & no big deal. A great up grade for the front is the svt bbk= 300mm rotors & bigger calipers that bolt on w/ no issues. SS brke lines are a great upgrade. Your looking for 10mm x 1 female to 10mm male size 3 hose. Just add your lenght. Sample= Earls 630110_ _ erl add the lenght you need. For the rear on my car I went w/ 18'' lenght. The russell kit for svt's is way to short for the front.

Reactions: DarderSauce
#16 ·
Hey, so I am still a little confused on brake lines. For the guys that did the rear break swap on an 08+, what length lines did you use? Can someone just put up a link with the lines that will work?

Thanks!

P.S. Felix I looked for Earl break lines but was not confident enough to order in fear that I will buy the wrong thing.

#17 ·
Look at the threads on your oem brake line

Look at your threads & hose size on your oem brake hose & then figure out the lenght you need.

#21 ·
Bat Inc. is reputable and I wouldn't worry about their ordering process. I bought parts from them as long ago as 2003. Yeah, it would be nice if they would join the cyber age, but old school marketing has worked well for them and some personel interaction has never hurt anyones communication (or business) skills for that matter.

#23 ·
Not to bring back a dead thread but I am getting ready to do my swap and I am going to go with some hawk break pads for the rear (Breaks are from 02 SVT). I was thinking of getting these bad boys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawk-Perfor...iter_Display:2.0L&hash=item2319468941&vxp=mtr

then getting the right ones for the front as well.

Anyone know if another retailer offers them any cheaper?

Would you recommend a different pad?

Thanks for the info.

#24 ·
In the majority of cases a ceramic pad will not perform any better than a standard semi-metallic pad and they usually cost more as well. Some even lack the same performance (look at Tireracks brake pad performance chart). The only real benefit from ceramics is they tend to dust less. Personally I'd stick with a reliable and "proven" street performance pad like Hawk HPS. You're going to all this expense to improve braking so why gamble? Go with a sure thing!

#28 ·
So, when I am looking at hawk pads on http://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/

They don't show any pads for an 08 focus... Anyone happen to know the parts number for them? I am almost positive they have them for 08-11.

If not looks like I am going EBC.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like Hawk doesn't make pads for the front calipers of an 08. Was also contemplating between the red and the green but EBC doesn't make RED rear pads for an 02 SVT and I don't want to spend $200 for the yellows so looks like I am going Green.

#30 ·
Best Prices on each set.

2002 SVT REAR Green EBC’s: DP21218----- $48.72 (set) eBay

2008 SEDAN FRONT Green EBC’s: DP21822----- $67.85 (set) eBay

* Amazon was about the same. Each site looked to be about $10 cheaper than most auto parts stores.

Total for EBC's all around = $116.57 shipped.

Hope they're worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.