Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Common problems with the Duratec

33K views 54 replies 41 participants last post by  cmayn1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I want to get a 05 ST, but every now and then I see a problem with the car. I hear stories that the engine died with something like 5k miles, and the trany broke, and this and that. So I was wondering, are they all the same???

Do the engines and trannys go along together?

I'm getting scared of hearing so many problems, and if I buy one I would like to kip it for ever.

So what do u guys thing about the duratech engine and tranny. Can they be very reliable?? Can they last for ever??

I think they should because they are no longer running under a belt, they use a chain which I think its better but I don’t know.

Does any one know of any other problems that the new focus has?

#2 ·
Well I am the one with the bad tranny - and I dont care. This is a very strong car and with warranty I think it will be fine. If it makes you feel better purchase an '06 when they come out as they would have probably fixed everything.

Overall I have been extremely inpressed with the ST.

#5 ·
Yah I drive mine pretty hard but its held together great. I love my ST and from what Iv been hearing from wifes family ( 3 of them work at dealerships) the ST is the best car for its price.

#7 ·
I think I'ved only seen 1 story of an ST having some issues and 1 standard ZX3 having issues, which the guy was able to turn in on the Lemon law.

The new Focus seems to be pretty durable and reliable from what I can tell but like all new model cars, you're gonna have some that have issues.

#10 ·
y2kpedo said:
...i know this is off topic but i've seen 06 ST foci that cost less money than the 05 ST, is this true or yahoo is just wrong???
According to Yahoo Auto, the 2006 Focus ST does have a lower list price. However they show the Traction Control & 6-CD Changer as options (these are std in 2005).

If you're really interested in a Focus don't forget the very excellent combo of Family Pricing & rebates currently in effect. This spring I beat up several dealers against one another for about a month in order to get a very good deal on my ST. Now anyone can walk into any Ford dealer and get a similar price in about 5 minutes! [thumb]

You never know, but I would be suprised if the auto mfg's start out the 2006 model year with such deep discounts. If I was in the market now I grab the car I wanted before the selection of 2005's starts getting thin.

Regards,

EricR

#13 ·
I did find this on blueoval about the 2006 Focus specs.

New for 2006

On ZX4 and (later in the model year) ZX3 and ZX5, a Street Appearance Package gives Focus a more aggressive, customized look
Additional paint choices include Dark Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic, Pueblo Gold Clearcoat Metallic and Screaming Yellow Clearcoat
CD/MP3 player standard on all models
Alloy wheels now available as a standalone option on S and SE models
Six-disc audio systems now have steering-wheel controls
Convenience Package and Safety Packages bundle popular options
Overview

The Ford Focus, reworked for the 2005 model year, continues to deliver award-winning quality, great driving dynamics, environmentally responsible emissions, superb passenger space and low cost of ownership.

Focus enters 2006 with a series of changes to better suit individual customers needs, including a new Street Appearance Package, several new colors and content upgrades across the model range.

Focus is available as a three-door ZX3 hatchback, five-door ZX5 hatchback, ZX4 sedan and ZXW wagon in S, SE, and SES trims. Sedan models are also available in the performance ST version.

Focus has made Car and Driver's 10 Best list five years in a row, has been listed as a Consumer Guide Best Buy four years in a row and earned four-time All-Star status from Automobile magazine.

It is built in Wayne, Mich.

Design and Equipment

New for 2006 is an available Street Appearance Package on ZX4, and, later in the model year, ZX3 and ZX5 as well. The package is designed to give Focus a custom tuner look. It includes a unique body-color fascia with fog lamps and lower air deflector, body-color rear bumper trim with black diffuser insert, body-color spoiler and bright exhaust tip.

Exterior changes for 2006 include three new paint colors and sporty 15-inch alloy wheels as a standalone option for S and SE models.

All Focus models have a front-end treatment that echoes cues from Ford's new flagship sedan, the Ford Five Hundred. A prominent grille with a chrome-ringed diamond pattern and clear-lens headlamps make for an expressive face. Fog lamps are standard on SES and ST models.

The Focus interior is clean and modern-looking, highly functional and built of high-quality materials. The instrument panel is symmetrical; the driver and front passenger areas are divided by two rectangular climate control registers, the hazard switch and a shallow center stack for the audio and climate control systems.

Storage areas include a storage drawer for six compact discs, located by the driver's left knee, and an open storage space located just below the climate control dials.

A standard floor console houses the shifter, two cup holders, parking brake lever and optional features, including the traction control system. An overhead console with sunglasses holder and space for a garage door opener is optional. Front doors include molded-in beverage holders.

This year, a CD/MP3 player is standard across the Focus lineup.

Powertrain and Chassis

Focus benefits from the Ford's Revolution Under the Hood, a massive undertaking that began about five years ago to improve powertrain performance, refinement, fuel economy and emissions.

Three engine choices begin with the 136-horsepower, 2.0-liter Duratec 20 dual-overhead-cam, inline four-cylinder. Powering the sporty Focus ZX4 ST is the 151-horsepower 2.3-liter Duratec 23 DOHC I-4. This engine is derived from the Duratec 20 family, with larger displacement and performance-tuned exhaust.

In California, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine, a super-clean Duratec 20E qualifies Focus as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. The 20E version of Focus is cleaner than some hybrid-electric vehicles.

The Duratec 20 and 20E are available with a 5-speed manual transmission or a 4-speed automatic. Focus ZX4 ST offers a 5-speed manual.

Safety and Security

Focus occupant-sensing technology will turn the front passenger seat air bag on or off after determining whether the seat is occupied by an adult or a child. Ford continues to recommend that children under 12 ride in the back seat secured by a safety belt or child safety seat. Anti-lock brakes are optional on S, SE and SES and standard on the ST.

Side-impact air bags are optional on all series.

Major Features and Options

S includes: Five-speed manual transmission, 15-inch wheels and all-season tires, rear-window wiper and washer on ZX3, ZX5 and ZXW, AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player and speed-sensitive volume control.

SE adds: Power windows, locks and keyless entry, power mirrors, variable-speed wipers, air conditioning, and front center arm rest.

SES adds: 16-inch, five-spoke (ZX3, ZX4, ZX5) or multi-spoke (ZXW) alloy wheels, fog lamps, body-color decklid or liftgate handles, body-color side moldings, enhanced suspension with rear stabilizer bar, automatic speed control, overhead console, tilt/telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel and tachometer.

ZX4 ST adds: 2.3-liter Duratec 23 engine, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, unique 16-inch aluminum machined alloy wheels, ST performance-tuned suspension, chrome-tipped exhaust, body-color door handles, ground effects front and rear fascia, satin alloy grille, power-heated exterior mirrors, gauges with silver applique, sport bucket seats and door trim with black- and-red fabric inserts or optional preferred suede, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob with contrasting stitching.

Options include side-impact air bags, automatic transmission, power moonroof, traction control, perimeter alarm, six-disc AM/FM stereo with CD changer and audio controls on the steering column and leather seating surfaces.

Ford Focus Milestones

Ford introduces the Focus at the Geneva Motor Show

Focus wins European Car of the Year

North American Focus debuts

Focus is Automobile's Automobile of the Year andMotorWeek's Best Small Car

Focus wins North American Car of the Year

High-performance SVT Focus excites "hot hatch" enthusiasts

Ultra-clean Focus PZEV introduced

Ford reworks Focus with major design and engineering improvements

SOURCE

#14 ·
microtonal said:
I see that yahoo has pricing for the 06 Focus but no review or new specs.
06 Foci aren't even on sale yet to my knowledge.

Only thing I've seen that Ford has for 06 is the Fusion.
The Ford Civic.

Click here
Yahoo Auto does allow you to review the available options for the 2006 Focus. I don't think it's just a rehash of the 2005 data as it shows the following new options for the ST:

- Street Appearance Package I
- Street Appearance Package II

Both are priced at $1295

#22 ·
my clutch pedal return spring broke today snapped and hit my foot, kinda hurt.

driving down the road and my right rear quarter window shattered, dunno why

battery retainer was missing from the factory my a banging sound while slowing in a corner.

that is all of my problems so far at 29k (except the nostart/hessitation issue)

#25 ·
I have 05 zx3, everything was fine untill I tryed to install my MM CAI... while installed it sounded like the engine was knocking. put the stock box in and haven't touched it since... driving me crazy. wish I could put my CAI back on an continue to mod...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.