Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus RS & Focus Cosworth - How much are you willing to pay?

330K views 445 replies 282 participants last post by  BryanPendleton 
#1 ·
If Ford Motor Company brings the Focus RS & Cosworth to North America, would you buy one? If yes, how much are willing to pay?

Also, if you are interested, you can complete the petition below and we'll forward the information to Ford.
Sign Here! Petition to Ford Motor Company

We would also like to hear your opinions, so please feel free to express them here.

See less See more
#152 ·
'A cosworth would be wonderful and the I would pay almost as much as a STI subaru... But less because it is slower...'

they have not even made a cosworth yet!

a stock rs will give a STI a bloody good run, that's front drive 212-220bhp stock, i know as i drive one.
now
think what a 300 bhp all wheel drive focus cosworth would do if it is made anything like the rs, considering that in the past the rs has been as step down from the cosworth? if they make one that is.

#153 ·
DaveRS said:

they have not even made a cosworth yet!

a stock rs will give a STI a bloody good run, that's front drive 212-220bhp stock, i know as i drive one.
now
think what a 300 bhp all wheel drive focus cosworth would do if it is made anything like the rs, considering that in the past the rs has been as step down from the cosworth? if they make one that is.
First they do make a Cosworth """edit""" concept """ and this thread is about bringing the Euro Cosworth to the US """edit""" as it is in concept"""

Second the Cosworth pulls a ~14.3s 1/4 mile this is fast however it is not as fast as an STI....

Finally I think you are mistaking the 2.0 wrx turbo for the STI

The WRX Impreza is a 220HP 2.0l turbo
The STI is a 300 HP 2.5rs engine turbocharged and pulls and impressive 13s 1/4 mile stock.

That is a full second off the Cosworth.
I would love to see a pic or video of a Stock RS beating or even staying with an STI....

If Ford, being as devoted as I can be, wants the buisness then they should bring over a 300 hp Cosworth i would only hope that they are more reliable than the SVT.......

#155 ·
The RS needs to come over here. I mean its such a sweet car. I think 22K would be fair for the car and thats what they should charge. Focus has come a long way and the Second Generation (2005) focus is going to break records this year, they took an already popular car adn kicked it up 10 knotches. So they need to have a new KING of Focus. The SVT is not enough w/ the ST out there now. They need to have a larger gap betweeen the focus and the leader. The RS should become the next SVT!!!!! Thats my two cents!!!!!

#156 ·
Jflabeets said:
First they do make a Cosworth and this thread is about bringing the Euro Cosworth to the US

Second the Cosworth pulls a ~14.3s 1/4 mile this is fast however it is not as fast as an STI....

The STI is a 300 HP 2.5rs engine turbocharged and pulls and impressive 13s 1/4 mile stock.

I would love to see a pic or video of a Stock RS beating or even staying with an STI....

If Ford, being as devoted as I can be, wants the buisness then they should bring over a 300 hp Cosworth i would only hope that they are more reliable than the SVT.......
There is not a Focus cosworth on the market in europe... the car you are talking about is a Focus RS which i own.

and no i am not mistaken, i know the impreza range, at home we have lots of them..

a stock wrx impreza is not a match on the road against the rs, unless it is wet then it is not quite as easy for the front drive.
and no i don't have a picture as i was too busy trying to keep up with it on the road.
yes the STI is a fast car and i am not saying that the RS is faster but in the real world it would take a car with a lot more power to get away from the RS.
you are talking about a car that you have never driven. i have driven both cars
it is not all about quater mile times, i like the odd corner or two as it tends to make it all a little more fun.a
a huge part of the RS is it's ability to take corners, i have driven many fast modded cars but few that grip like the RS. now i am biased as i love my car!

#157 ·
sorry to go on but i am on my high horse
the times below are from a popular car show at home, a little like some of the stuff on speed channel.
basically they have a test track and they compare fast cars, simple!

1st
Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9
Joint 2nd
Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3
Joint 2nd
Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3
3rd
Murcielago - 1.23.7
4th
Zonda - 1.23.8
5th
Koenigsegg - 1.23.9
6th
Noble - 1.25.0
7th
Gallardo - 1.25.8
8th
Lotus Exige - 1.26.4
9th
Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2
10th
TVR 350c - 1.27.5
11th
BMW M3 CSL - 1.28.0
12th
MG SV - 1.28.6
13th
Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9
14th
BMW Alpine Z8 - 1.29.0
15th
Alfa 3.7 GTA - 1.30.0
16th
Subaru Impreza STI - 1.30.1
17th
Aston Martin DB7 GT - 1.30.4
18th
Audi S4 - 1.30.9
19th
Porsche 911 turbo - 1.31.0
20th
Vauxhall VX 220 turbo - 1.31.3
21st
Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6
22nd
BMW M3 - 1.31.8
23rd
Nissan 350Z - 1.31.8
24th
Mazda RX8 - 1.31.8
25th
Ford Focus RS - 1.32.2
26th
Lotus Esprit V8 - 1.32.5
27th
Audi TT V6 - 1.32.7
28th
Noble - 1.33.1
29th
Mercedes SL 55 AMG - 1.33.2
30th
Volkswagen Golf R32 - 1.33.2
And the rest:
Volvo S60R - 1.35.0
Ferrari 575 - 1.35.2
Alfa 147 GTA - 1.35.6
Lotus Elise - 1.35.6
Aston Martin Vanquish - 1.36.2
Renault Clio v6 - 1.36.2
Honda Civic Type R - 1.36.5
Saab 95 hot aero - 1.37.9
Mazzer - 1.38.0
Bowler Wildcat - 1.39.4
Bentley Arnarge - 1.40.8
Overfinch - 1.44.0

not bad for the money, not that far behind the STI

#158 ·
Jflabeets said:
First they do make a Cosworth and this thread is about bringing the Euro Cosworth to the US

Wrong!

There is no such thing as a 'Focus Cosworth' in Europe (or anywhere else on the planet for that matter). The closest thing u will find, is on it's way to Greece next weekend for the Acropolis WRC!

Quarter mile times are fine, but on a twisty road, and I'm not talking about the turnpike off the freeway here, the Focus RS (which I am a pround owner of) will hold it's own with any Scooby including the STI, in the dry that that is.

I've had 4 Cosworths (2 2WD and 2 4WD) in the last 8 years, the Focus RS would easily beat any of them on the track, despite having less BHP on paper.

Scooby's are fine, if like changing engines every 70,000 miles (chocolate pistons) [:D]

#159 ·
I'm late to the conversation here, but if a prospective Cosworth Focus were offered in the US and were competitive with the US model Subaru Impreza STi I would buy one.

I've had an '04 STi for over a year (and a ZX5 for over 2 years). The Cosworth version would have to be one hell of a car to match the STi on spec and performance and would have to be be competitive on price (say low $30K range). The last few years have been good to us in the US with the introduction of the Mitsu Evo, the STi and now the Golf R32. It's a niche market with only a few thousand of each model sold each year, but I think there's still plenty of room to add a few new models of really hot little WRC knock-offs without saturating the market.

Honestly though, I don't hold out much hope that Ford will import a Cosworth version to the US (if they build one at all). The US has always been left out of the Ford hot hatch market, and I guess I don't see Ford introducing a small performance car that would make the Mustang look silly. I'd be happy to see a next gen SVT Focus and might consider something like that as a replacement for our ZX5 if it were to come in a hatch model. (I really don't like the Focus sedans!)

I'll also say I'm a bit disappointed that the US is not getting the new Focus C1 chassis for the '05 model year as I understand it's an improvement over the current model. Well not exactly true, we do get the chassis under the Volvo S40 and Mazda 3...

#160 ·
Keep in mind that we are talking about what WE would pay based on what WE see.

I see a Subaru STI that IS faster than an RS focus.

I see the sticker price on the STI.

I do not see what the Cosworth can do as a production car.

If the Cosworth is faster then i will pay the same or more for it, If it is slower less that is all i am saying.

[?|] please stop taking this as a litteral hard nosed Discussion Its seems to be a "this car could do this if it had that" and that is a waste of time. [?|]

We are discussing A CONCEPT car and all opinions expressed are speculation. based on very limited information.
I am not posting any more as I do not want this to get off topic and ruin a good thread If you wish to argue with me take it to PM.

#161 ·
i agree with what you are saying 100%
the point that i am trying to make is this.
there are a lot of people commenting on a car that they have never seen (the RS) and i just wanted to give a little perspective to the debate.

In the past the cosworth has always been a great deal more advanced than the RS.
so if the RS is hot on the heals of an STI we can only hope that Ford will continue with the standard that is has set with the current RS and build a car that will help claim back the market which it started in Europe, the road going rally car available to the average person.

i don't think that there is much chance of the cosworth (if it is made) making it to the USA.
Nor is it probable that we will ever get a mustang in europe for the same reasons.

we pay more for the European Focus as it is built to a higher standard and Ford's image is different in Europe than it is in the USA

#162 ·
DaveRS said:
i agree with what you are saying 100%
the point that i am trying to make is this.
there are a lot of people commenting on a car that they have never seen (the RS) and i just wanted to give a little perspective to the debate.

In the past the cosworth has always been a great deal more advanced than the RS.
so if the RS is hot on the heals of an STI we can only hope that Ford will continue with the standard that is has set with the current RS and build a car that will help claim back the market which it started in Europe, the road going rally car available to the average person.

i don't think that there is much chance of the cosworth (if it is made) making it to the USA.
Nor is it probable that we will ever get a mustang in europe for the same reasons.

we pay more for the European Focus as it is built to a higher standard and Ford's image is different in Europe than it is in the USA
A point well made...[thumb]

#163 ·
Jflabeets said:
First they do make a Cosworth """edit""" concept """
Glad to see you've edited in the word "Concept" into your post.........oh and by the way Jflabeets, this is a public forum, if you don't like being corrected/embarrassed in front of other users, don't type inaccurate information about a car that no-one except a handful of Ford testdrivers/designers have ever driven [thumb]

#164 ·
GT2560 said:
Glad to see you've edited in the word "Concept" into your post.........oh and by the way Jflabeets, this is a public forum, if you don't like being corrected/embarrassed in front of other users, don't type inaccurate information about a car that no-one except a handful of Ford testdrivers/designers have ever driven [thumb]
To get this thread back on track please limit all future statements about me to PM. I have done so for no other reason than I want to get this back to its intended purpose; to get our opinion on a rather nice car.

BTW: I like the cosworth, concept or not, it is a nice car. I would buy one if it were here, I would not buy an STi as I do not buy cars from anyone but ford. I was simply useing it as a way to draw a line and get a comparison for price......NOT TO DISS ON FORD PRODUCTS. The RS and the SVT are great cars.

#166 ·
I couldn't have said it better!!! I paid just over 18K for my 05 Focus ST (nice dealer discount since sticker price is 20K), and would totally get the 350Z as my more expensive choice. Also, I would rather have the RS. The Cosworth is just too fast for good insurance rates.

ZX3_Chick said:
I think it would be sweet if they brought it over here. But there's no way I'd pay over $25K for it. For over $30K I'd take a 350Z.

#168 ·
Oh sweet Jesus...I would buy one in a heart beat....I'm sure ya'll have probably already seen this on a Ford dealership somewhere....at the Ford dealership a few counties over it says "The heartbeat stops here"...and just to think that I pulled up in a busted Chevy...but the heartbeat really stops with this one...love it love it love it...can't say that enough

#169 ·
Ford gurus....Bring the RS and Cosworth to the States and put the EVO and STI out of their misery.
Definitely would pay 30 for the cosworth.
Ford God...please make plans to add a turbo for the Sweet Revin' and Amazingly bulletproof 2.3L Duratec Engine.
All of the focus enthusiasts here in the states would ever be so thankful

#173 ·
Okay, if the point here is to get a hold of a turbo-charged AWD two-door hatch-back for around 30K(I know this will result in much anger) buy a VW GTI R32. I'm so sorry I bought my Focus instead of a Jetta, but hindsight is always 20/20. Volkswagens are just so much higher quality, IMO. I've owned two VWs before and my mom had a ZX5, so I am very familiar with all of them; personally I would only buy the RS if it was made available in the US if it was AWD, turbo'd making 200 hp or more, and selling for less than 20,000

#175 ·
FokuzPhil said:
sorry to say guys, but i must say ive gotten my focus and i love it, but i love Dodge too and nuthin ford has can even touch the SRT-10 Viper, not a Saleen, not a Cobra, nuthin. Im not puttin Ford down, i like em too, but itll take a lot and i mean a hell of a lot for a lil Foci like all of us own to compete with Dodge Power like the Viper, or even the SRT-4.

ok, now i love my foci, and i like the way my SVT handles, especially on the freeway, the damn thing takes impalas, and won't let em get in front of me.........I don't want an RS, I saw one the other day driving, and drooled. ( I live in DEarbron, where Ford is based) and these guys were from Ford racing. I tlaked to them ablout the car. They are building a turbo for the SVT due out the end of this year(ish) so watch the site. Ford also has certain conversion kits building our SVT's up to an RS. Pricey, but the best way to to to get one.

onto this guyts quote....

The GT40 takes the dodge viper, hands down, seen it done at the test track here in Dearbron. If I had the money for a Viper, I'd buy a GT40, over the viper, anyday of the week, any time of the year, up untill my death date, when I'd get buried wiht the GT40 I bought.
[:)~]

So no, i vote no on the RS or Cossie..............I would rather spend my few extra thou and make my SVT better.....'sides, I did it myelf then, and I would have more pride in it.

#176 ·
My 2 cents.

the VW r32 is nice. Ford CAN compete with that.

2.3 turbo AWD. make it for under $30K. I know that's asking a lot, but what the heck.

Or make a WRC car and add it to the line up. compete directly with Subaru and Mits.

Or make a stock one with a lot of stickers on it...........

I own a VW, the 1.8T, and it makes good power, so a turbo'd 2.3 would add low end tourge, due to the displacement, and top end from the turbo....

any way, I would buy a turbo'd focus, if it were available....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.