Focus Fanatics Forum banner

A simple fix for the microphone wind noise issue

112K views 237 replies 50 participants last post by  FocusDavid 
#1 ·
I've heard quite a few people complain about how much the built in microphone in upper trim 2012's sucks. I can attest to this; at freeway speeds you have to scream at it to get it to understand anything you're saying. It's also virtually impossible to make a phone call as whoever you call thinks you're driving through a tornado.

I've devised a very simple (read, inexpensive) solution to this problem. It involves shoving sound deadening material in the space above the microphone to reduce the amount of ambient noise it picks up.

Video of how to do this is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa0-e69pXEE&noredirect=1

It worked wonders for me; now I don't have to burst my lungs in order for it to play a little Stevie Ray Vaughn[woot].

You may wish to use more material than I did in the video; I added more after the first test run and it helped quite a bit.

#204 ·
It is not a hoax. I bought my car in february, for about 2 months it was in and out of the garage trying to fix the problem. They replaced almost everything in the system, some things twice. After all failed. I filed a claim thru the BBB Autoline. Had an arbitration hearing in June. BBB sided with me against Ford. Stating that they should be able to provide a product that works. My dealership dealer traded a 2012 for me that sounded worse than the one I was driving. So I ordered a 2013 from Ford. It arrived last week, and I picked it up today. Its is not a hoax. It took me 6 months, but I have solved my problem.

#206 ·
Wow ... That's good to know, so you got a 2013 from Ford to replace your 2012 for this mic issue. You probably had to pay the difference for the 2013 but sounds like you won the battle to get it fixed! Congrates and enjoy your new ride with a functional mic.

Now hope Ford can figure out how to fix this before we all demand a buy back or trade in for this issue.

Surely it can be fixed if the 2013 works great...
[idea]

#213 ·
Let us know how your test goes ... Test at highway speeds with windows up and A/C on to see the problem. At slower speeds its not so bad. Turn off the a/c with windows up and it gets much better but see how long you can take that in 100deg heat! Makes for short phone conversations let me tell you, lol... Of course wind will always make noise thru the mic but go ahead and try testing with windows down to compare.

#215 ·
I have a Se without mytouch, the system is gated, background noise only gain is down or muted, detects voice gain up. makes it sound choppie (for want of a better description ).
So you have background noise when talking and silence between words. Ford could have used simple filtering instead, above and below voice range and a better mic and isolated mic mounting.
Went to dealer made service advisor listen to 3 recordings, 70 mph windows closed mic in ceiling - unusable, mic hanging from ceiling better, parked - perfect. Advisor said Ford is working on this and on paper work says no problem found. Have call in to Ford rep waiting for call back.

#216 ·
My car was built 5/26/2012. Came with V3.02 installed. Titanium With sunroof.
Initially I did notice any problems with the microphone. Everyone commented me on how great the hands free sounded. I even used it with the windows down at low speeds.

The last couple weeks I started experiencing the same problems everyone else on here has. I just got a call from my wife driving my car, and it sounded horrible, it pushed me over the edge.

After reading through everything in this post I've decided it may be another MyFord Touch glitch, i'm going to do a bunch of test calls, then master reboot the system and test again.

My only other thought is that maybe all the heat has ruined some wires or the mic.

#219 ·
Hey, riparke -

Are you expecting a call from your dealership or Ford Customer Service? I'm happy to find out what's going on, PM me your VIN or case number.

Jaclyn

#222 ·
Any updates on the subject of the 2013 mic vs. the one in the 2012? BTW, the mic assy for 2012 and 2013, with or without MFT is the same part number AM2Z-19A391-A.

#223 ·
Any updates on the subject of the 2013 mic vs. the one in the 2012?
I have come to believe now that it is not a "cheap mic" issue (I have a 2012, July 2011 build). Hands-free calls worked terrific when I got it. Installed the 3.0.2 update and it tanked, hands-free calling was completely unusable with the oft-referenced wind tunnel or open window noise in the background. Got the 3.5.1 update installed and it works terrific again. I have had the same mic since I got the car and the only variable between good-useless-good again has been software changes between each of those conditions.

#224 ·
I'm with you. Mine's not bad, not great. I have 3.5.1 and I think I'm going to install it on my way to San Francisco tomorrow. I'll do a test of quality a couple of times before/after.

#225 ·
Ive been doing a lot more testing since I got the MFT update of 3.5.1. My conclusion is the hands-free SUCKS in my car. Don't' get me wrong, 3.5.1 does improve it a great deal and I can no longer hear that wind tunnel effect that took over everything. Now what I'm getting is clear but very weak & tinny sounding. (Imagine using speakerphone but standing across the room talking in a normal voice). Compared to just picking up the handset and speaking into the phone there's a WORLD of difference and the handsfree doesn't even come close to sounding as good. I also have a Jabra Freeway Visor clip on Speakerphone and it has dual mics and noise cancellation. When I switch from SYNC to the Jabra during the same call you can hear another world of difference better.

I've pretty much given up on a this car ever having a built in useable hands-free Calling. I'll look forward to my next car having it though.

My wife called me the other day and even though I was pretty certain it sucked I thought maybe on her end it will seem fine and she won't notice so I choose to take the call using Sync (MFT). I was not even on the highway. Driving maybe 30 to 35 and the first thing she said after I answered was. "Uhh I can't stand the phone in your car" meaning the BT hands free. I switched to the Jabra and everything was fine.

Bummed about it. The last vehicle I had that I had with handsfree built in was a 2009 Chevy Silverado and that had the best call quality.

Oh well.

#226 ·
I have a BT Mic that came with a Pioneer Headunit. Its a two wire just like the stock one. I removed the stock Mic and spliced in the aftermarket one just to see if that would change anything for me. Ha!. NO!. Sync would not even respond to commands so I know the mic was obviously not compatible. I put the stock one back in and got it functioning again and just for the heck of it did a little down road test call to my VM and it remains just as horrible as ever.
A friend of mine that has a late built 2012 has absolutely NO issues whatsoever with his handsfree sound quality and when I hear him on it. I can't even tell it's not his Cell vs Handsfree. His son just bought a 2013 Ti and he said his BT sound quality is just as good. I don't know if there was a quality issue with a batch of the mic's used on the earlier builds or maybe even a manufacturer change. Or the fact that my friend and his son use the latest Droid phones (Since we know that Apple admitted to using a less than standard BT Communications on their IOS devices).

FWIW. I ordered a $28 new Mic from my local ford dealership. I should pick it up tomorrow. If I still continue to have the exact same call quality I will try to pair my friends Android phone and see if there's any improvement.

I"ll let ya know.

#230 ·
Well the BB wasn't any better. AT ALL!. Its' a different carrier as well. So not likely phone related. Fingers crossed the new mic today will be a major improvement. Waiting for it to arrive.

B.

#231 ·
Picked up the Mic from local Ford dealership today. Looks pretty much the same with a slight few differences. Mine had a black cloth like woven sleeve over the main wire. This one just has a piece of gray foam wrapped around it. There's some writting on the top of the Mic as well that I don't recall seeing on mine. It has an arrow that points one way and says. TO SPEAKER. Odd.

Anyhow, I can't wait to install it and test it. I'd do it now but would look pretty funny with my head sticking out of my sun roof (the easiest way to R&R it through the sunroof) at work while Co-workers are heading to their car wondering what in the hell I"m doing. LOL. YOu can't DRIVE LIKE THAT DUDE!.

When I get home tonight I'll install it and report back tomorrow on my drive into work if there's nary a difference.

#232 ·
Got the new mic installed. Made a test call sitting with the car off in the driveway. I don't think this is going to make one bit of difference. Playback sounded crappy compressed like it usually does. Im about 90+% sure on the road tomorrow it will be the same BS.
At least I know it wasn't as simple as a Mic.

#233 ·
dear friends Hi!

im having the exact same mic issue as you Dysan and i wonder if you have found out a solution. i really like my car but these little things drive me crazy. i have updated bluetooth firmware but no fix. is it worth of spending more than 50 $ to buy a new mic and try if it fixes the problem or you can suggest me a different approach?

thank you in advance

#234 ·
The car has a lot of noise at high speeds. between the loud engine and the heavy road noise, the calls or sync commands are hard to hear. I recently did dynamat in my doors and rear hatch and noticed a difference in my commands. My wife has not complained about the phone being bad but I know its hard to hear when i have to scream at it to get the commands to work.

#236 ·
Hello!

for those who might be interested in finding a solution with the mic issue, i finally got it worked. i replaced it with a brand new from my local ford dealer and Yes, it works fantastic. no noise, i hear and i am heard even if i speak quite while driving.

thank you

#238 ·
I know this is a little bit old...

Can you give any details on the part and process?

Just bought my fiancé a 2014 Focus and it's great, except that there is a lot of echo heard by the person on the other end when she has a call in the Focus through Sync (basic, non touch).

She'll have this car for a decade probably, heh... Would love to get the concern worked out.

Obviously turning the volume down helps, but in order to be effective it has to be turned down to the point where she can't hear it either.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.