Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#2 ·
Where can I find this TSB? Is it online where I can print it and bring it to the dealer?
Let me clarify, that I an NOT having problems with the DCT. If I do have problems in the future, I would like the information to get it resolved.
2800 miles and loving it!

#3 ·
#4 ·
VW drastically increased the warranty coverage on their DSGs, even though their failure rate wasn't nearly as high as Ford's DCT seems to have. I wonder if that'll be the next step in the coming months since I'm sure less than half a percent of DCTs sold are already out of warranty.

#7 ·
Are you sure is not the fuel pump instead of the DSG ? Because HPFP failures have been the ones who "scared" me in long term and made me change for a Focus. To pay (after 36K miles) 10K $ to rebuilt your whole engine, THAT'S SCARRY. Not the fact that MFT resets itself from time to time or the DCT shudders the first 5000 miles.

P.S. The DSG, being a "wet" dual-clutch transmission, needs "oil" change every 40k miles. Which is not cheap if you do it at the dealer shop (arround 600 $). The one in the Focus, the DCT, does not need this "oil" change at all (unless defective).

#6 ·
It will be on the door sticker with all the other information. Think that shows the month and year. The dealer should be able to run the VIN and get you the specific date if the TSB gets that detailed.

#15 ·
Below there is a alphanumeric line... something like XX1161XX or something and its year/month/day if im not mistaken if you want the specific date

#8 ·
Looking forward to your comments on how this update improved your drive. My focus was built in May and is eligible for this update as well. The DCT works great and only has a very slight issue with strange vibrations occasionally. I have 7000 miles and slight vibrations have never caused me to worry enough to complain about it.
After hearing about the TSB update for this I am looking into getting this done even if to just improve shifting response and also to take care of any slight vibrations that occur.
Please let us know how it works out and if you recommend this update for others.

Thanks!

#2,955 · (Edited)
Mechanic had to take the car (2012 MK3, 37,000 miles) out before the update and monitor the transmission to see if it qualified for the TSB update. It qualified, and I got my car back from dealer 6/2/14 after they reprogrammed PCM/TCM and replaced the clutch and seals per TSB 14-0047. Car accelerates and shifts beautifully. Only concern is a "growl" when shifting from 1'st to 2'nd after 1/2 hour of stop and go driving.

#10 ·
I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.
Can't wait to hear your results. I'm probably going in for the first scheduled maintenance relatively soon and if all goes well for you, I'll bring it up at my dealership.

Keep us posted!

#11 ·
I'll be talking to my dealership about this soon. I'll get "The Works" done while I'm at it... only a little over 3k mi. but I never got an early oil change so this will serve that purpose for me.

Last time they gave me the DCT is not a torque converter spiel and gave me a pamphlet... didn't help me any. Oh well, I'll just tell them I want the TSB done since my car is eligible and I do have low speed shudder and weird shift patterns occasionally. Nothing nearly as bad as some saying they have shudder so bad it spills their coffee, etc. and nothing I thought was odd until I saw the TSB info, so I'll post back with my results when done as well.

#12 ·
TSB
11-10-2•CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS, AMBIENT TEMPERATURE DISPLAY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011
Publication Date: October 2, 2011
FORD:2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
2.Perform Transmission Adaptive Learning. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 General Procedures.

NOTE:REPROGRAMMING PCM AND TCM WITH LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE AND/OR LOW IDS BATTERY VOLTAGE MAY RESULT IN A BLANKED PCM AND/OR TCM.

NOTE:THE PCM AND TCM ARE A MATCHED SET. PROGRAMMING THE PCM WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THE TCM.

NOTE:pLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME111002A2012 Focus Automatic Transmission (DPS6): Reprogram The PCM And TCM Includes Time To Perform Adaptive Learning And Drive Cycle (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.1 Hrs.

#301 ·
I just called my dealer. They are not able to find this TSB on their system! [?|] So I guess some of us live with the problems?!
My car would qualify if this TSB existed. The gal said it the TSB may have been recalled. Being that people had it applied as late as yesterday makes me sceptical.

I have an appointment for a loose interior door panel tomorrow (yet another problem of a long list). I'll print out the TSB and take it in. I recall I had to do something similar for our 08 when there was a TSB for paint issues. I had to show the dealer as not all staff have proper access to data bases that allow customers to be properly taken care of. Good thing I am a member of these forums so the community can do Fords job for them.

#14 ·
Mine was built "post" 8/12...........so hopefully it'll be smooth driving for me when I get home! [pray]. Otherwise it's gonna be some [rant], and some [chair]! [:D]

#18 ·
pil_____ are you messin' with us?! [;)] Hopefully, yours has the revised programming too!

#19 ·
So I tried to call to make the appt. with the dealership and since I "brought it in because of the DCT before and it had nothing wrong, they're going to have to take the car for a few days."

UM, I'm the owner, I know that nothing is wrong, but I do have some of the characteristics described, I can't afford to have no car for a few days, but since my vehicle is eligible just apply the update! It's not that hard, it's a TSB, not warranty work... jeeze.

When I bring it in Monday they're gonna hear that.

#23 ·
Well took the car in this morning for several different items and the trans was one of them, Tech drove it and noticed the shudder, flare and flat spot when you hit the throttle, Flashed the new PCM/TCM flash and said it fixed it. Still in the shop for a couple other issues but will see if there is any improvement when it comes home.

Will let you know on initial impression and then after a week or so.

Montana

#28 ·
About to head over to dealership for "the works" and to bitch at the service guy who told me they'd need the car for a few days to see if I'm eligible for this. But I'm all armed and ready to go. Last time they checked out the car was before any of the TSBs for this issue were out, so maybe it was "normal" then, but it isn't anymore. Glad the Ford Owner site is there because otherwise I'd have had to dig out the write-up.

If I get anywhere with him, I'll let you guys know how the car feels when I get it back later today.

#30 ·
Well I went to a nice lady advisor instead of the guy I talked to on the phone. Explained to her that the last time I had the car checked out for the same issues was Sept. 1st, before any of the relevant TSBs were released, so maybe they were told to tell customers it was normal then, but now that the update is out... it's no longer the case. I explained that the TSB just updates the programming on the PCM/TCM to improve low-speed driveability and explained my symptoms and she wrote it in.

So, it seems like I got off scot-free today, and didn't have to argue my way into it, I almost wanted to though, that guy is a real @$$. While I was there he convinced an old man to replace his pads and rotors, fuel filter, and some other crap... totaling something like $700. I'm sure he may have needed some brake work, but the rest was the usual upsell. It's funny, he wanted me to leave my car for a few days to "dig deeper into the problem" when the reprogramming is only supposed to take about an hour. What a waste.

I'll update/respond here when the car is done and I've driven it a bit.

#31 ·
I had my dealer apply the TSB. I noticed when I'm giving it gas it seems to shift later than it did before. It also doesn't "crunch" while downshifting anymore. I think it still rattles a little when shifting up from 4th to 5th (or maybe it's 3rd to 4th) but I'm more than willing to deal with that. I can only hear it rattle when my windows are up, no heat/AC, no radio, and when the phase of the moon is a waxing gibbous

That's my two cents.

#32 ·
Got the update today. The dealer I went to was really cool about it, and even shuttled me to work which was really appreciated.

Backing up a step, I simply called the dealer on Friday to set up the appointment today. I had simply said I didn't want to waste my time with the whole "this DCT is different" business, and simply wanted the update. The service advisor initially said, "That internet news stuff is bull crap," as he couldn't find the update for a minute. When it showed, he said, "There it is." and said to go ahead and set up the appointment. Today, after the update, I took the car on a 20-25 mile trip around Tampa Bay, with 90% highway miles, 10% city. Here's some of the areas I evaluated, and what I thought:

Shuddering at lights: Still there, but less prominent. A lot smoother than before, though. Car however has more willingness to crawl up to a light without an accelerator press.

Crawling in R: Better response, don't need to press the accelerator as much to give my car that go to go backwards.

Responsiveness in D while at speed:
Way better. I no longer feel like I'm struggling up hills as the car is more willing to downshift on a press of the accelerator than it was before. Excellent when keeping up with traffic on an uphill.

Responsiveness in D while from a stop:
Way better. Will maintain lower gears longer, and will drop fast when the car detects a maintained speed.

Smoothness of shifts: Better. The car is quite smooth as silk now while upshifting. An occasional torque-converter like shift while going from 1st to 2nd but again, way better than the full-clunk which I got more often before the update. I'm thinking after the "adjustment period" this will get even better.

SelectShift response: Still same amount of delay while shifting manually up/down gears. No improvement here.

Sport Mode: Less clunky on full throttle, but I still need to do more testing with the car in S. Still will keep gears longer than D.

Fuel Economy: 38.2 MPG @ 55-65 MPH on a 20-25 mile loop on mainly level ground with small hills, including some a couple of stoplights. That included several full throttles to merge, and better use of the lower gears while passing. Can feather the accelerator more skillfully now. Glad I can keep the same fuel economy.

Overall Grade: A better car with an hour update. The car really has some zip now. It was worth it. Thank you, Ford! [clap]

#34 ·
I had the same problem in BC, apparently the service advisor attempted to look up the TSB by using my serial number and nothing came up as available. He then phoned me back and asked if I new the TSB number which I told him I thought was either 11-10-02 or 11-10-01, a few minutes later he called me and stated he found it, and has no idea of why it wasn't on my list, needless to say they installed it.

Results

I travel up a 18 degree hill in white rock which is really steep, needless to say I never saw 3,000 rpm before. The transmission always wanted to change gears around 16-1800, now it changes around 2500.

As for acceleration it quickly accelerated and when I looked down I was around 4000 rpm with no problems, and very little foot pressure on the accelerator.

It appears that some software writer has actually gotten into this vehicle to see how it drives and changed the gear settings to what should be more respectable for this type of vehicle.

As for mileage the verdict is still out, need more testing. Oh and it appears my low speed shutter is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.