Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Ford Touch Thread

2M views 4K replies 396 participants last post by  Teamlosi23 
#1 ·
A member mentioned about having a sticky for the MFT sytem and I thought it was a good idea. Here's the thread for owners to discuss the MFT system, talk about and share issues they are having and to even share solutions. I know there are several MFT threads already out there, but we gotta start somewhere. Please keep this clean as it's going to be for everyone's benefit.

For everyone's information:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...wnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Focus

Enjoy.

#822 ·
I like the improved stability but continue to have intermittent problems with Bluetooth connectivity on an iPhone 4s. I also miss many of the features previously available. I can only hope that ford will continue to support their product and release maintenance patches to quash many of the existing bugs. My biggest fear is that since the sale is made, Ford won't find it cost effective to support MFT on older models going forward.

#826 ·
More problems with the NAV this morning. Randomly lost my HOME entry. Also it won't accept any Navigation command unless I speak "navigation" prior to the command.
All weekend I could give it a "destination..." from anywhere and it would take it.

I felt the voice commands were too loud, so i turned them down a couple of notches under settings and voice. This effectively turned off turn-by-turn navigation voice altogether. I couldn't get it back unless I cancelled the route and restarted the car.

This MFT upgrade is utter BS. Nothing works right. It's actually worse for me now.

#836 ·
Another thing that worries me is that many of the problems I experienced with the old version didn't really start happening for me until after a few weeks of owning the car. I know some had issues from the beginning but mine was relatively well-behaved and after 5-6 weeks I got my first volume lockup, that was when it started randomly telling me my iPod was disconnected while it was connected and playing music, and so forth. If some of these other issues are plaguing people already, makes me wonder what thing are going to be like two months from now. Could go either way. I guess time will tell.

#837 ·
I was a graphic user interface designer for 4 years and although I can't say the new improvements are ideal, I think they are for the most part, better. Though I can't say how much more improvements could be made because I don't know the hardware and OS resources that Ford has to work with. I would say its a step in the right direction, but they certainly could tweak some things.

Right now, I'm happy with the interface, but the NAV could use a lot of work/options to help people customize the maps so they are more readable at a glance.

The voice controls are very limited and each command should have more alternates to catch all minor variances. Additionally, there should be general commands that apply to all screens (page up/down, select, cancel, back, etc). If i forget a voice command, I should still be able to navigate the screen by voice.

The bugs are the big negative for me right now. I'm happy with the performance of the interface, that is if the interface is working.

#843 ·
I haven't upgraded yet since I'm waiting for the Nav SD card, but I don't have many complaints about the current layout. My complaints are about stability and functionality. Really, other than the screen staying on overnight and the bluetooth audio working intermittently, my only real gripe is the Nav.

This is, by far, the worst nav system I've ever used. Particularly the voice integration. It never, and I mean never locates a nearby POI even though it's clearly listed in the directory. There are so many aggravating requirements to do anything, that I find myself using my android 90% of the time.

Since very few folks have the new Nav upgrade, it's hard to know how that has been overhauled. Stability wise, it sounds like there are still issues with it.

I understand how everyone is upset with how awful MFT has been and continues to be, but the extra $795 spent on the Nav is what's killing me. As is, it's all but useless, particularly while driving since the voice controls suck. I assumed in this day and age a navigation system would be decent, but as far as I'm concerned, it is by far the worst part of the MFT implementation.

#852 ·
A few more things I noticed on my drive/sitting in traffic today:

(Possibly just USB, didn't check CD) Shuffle Light doesn't illuminate when you enable it if there is no music playing.

(MP3) CD Information is truncated in the More Info display (title/artist/whatnot just ends abruptly even when there is a ton of space available for displaying the information). Also, on the Entertainment display, if a title/artist exceeds the display length it doesn't add an arrow to let you scroll it to see it all, nor does embedded artwork function. I have the exact same files on a USB drive and none of these issues are present with the files on it.

On the USB screen, the More Info button is still selectable when there is no music playing. It just gives you a partially blank screen, the "What's Playing" button, which boops when you touch it, but does nothing, and a display title of "MP Track" or some such, can't remember what exactly now. Similar Music is still selectable as well, but at least it gives you a "No similar music found" notification.

If you're USB drive is no longer playing music (say your playlist ended) and you switch to a different input and switch back, it will state that it cannot find the drive.

Stating the input "iPod" takes you to the USB drive, whether or not you actually have an iPod. (This is probably just for simplicity more than anything, but I noticed it when Sync misunderstood me)

Also, I don't know if this is new or not or if it is by design, but if the climate is off and you tell Sync to set the temperature, it doesn't actually turn the climate on, it just sets the temp in the background and the climate stays off.

Whoever came up with the use cases for MFT obviously missed a ton of stuff.

#855 ·
A few more things I noticed on my drive/sitting in traffic today:

(Possibly just USB, didn't check CD) Shuffle Light doesn't illuminate when you enable it if there is no music playing.

I think this one is by design.

(MP3) CD Information is truncated in the More Info display (title/artist/whatnot just ends abruptly even when there is a ton of space available for displaying the information). Also, on the Entertainment display, if a title/artist exceeds the display length it doesn't add an arrow to let you scroll it to see it all, nor does embedded artwork function. I have the exact same files on a USB drive and none of these issues are present with the files on it.

Same happens to me.

On the USB screen, the More Info button is still selectable when there is no music playing. It just gives you a partially blank screen, the "What's Playing" button, which boops when you touch it, but does nothing, and a display title of "MP Track" or some such, can't remember what exactly now. Similar Music is still selectable as well, but at least it gives you a "No similar music found" notification.

Yep...

If you're USB drive is no longer playing music (say your playlist ended) and you switch to a different input and switch back, it will state that it cannot find the drive.

Same happened to me...

Stating the input "iPod" takes you to the USB drive, whether or not you actually have an iPod. (This is probably just for simplicity more than anything, but I noticed it when Sync misunderstood me)

Interesting they did this. What did you say that it misunderstood?

Whoever came up with the use cases for MFT obviously missed a ton of stuff.

Agreed.
My comments above in bold.

#854 ·
What Ford shoulda done is used Android O/S as the base O/S , then allowed us to use the screen however we wish with widgets and apps. Then instead of having to update the entire MFT system, they could periodically release new apps or widgets with updated functions. Add a capacitive touch screen and I don't think it could get any better.

#856 ·
I think this one is by design.
Then why does the Repeat button illuminate in the same situation?

Interesting they did this. What did you say that it misunderstood?
Because I said something that wasn't iPod.
EDIT: Oh, misread that. Um, I honestly don't even remember. I think I hit the sync button when I didn't mean to and just mumbled at it.

#859 ·
I think it's funny that one of the biggest complaints is the new design... considering that's only an opinion and not actually related to functionality in any way shape or form, it's kind of a ridiculous thing to complain about.

I like the new system, the simple design looks much better to me than the old one. While there are some things I miss, overall, the new design is great to me, it's simplified and looks cleaner and sharper to me.

But that's just me of course.

I will say that the input glitches are pretty annoying, I noticed today that my iPod was dead, it used to go to sleep when you shut the car off but now I'm not so sure, it's never done that to me before, I'll keep an eye on that.

The delay between commanding a call via SYNC and actually having the call made is also irks me. Even on the old system, unless it was already overloaded and moving slowly, commanding SYNC to make a call would make the call instantaneously.

So, for me, still a good update, stability is there, haven't had any lockups, nothing aside from the glitches with inputs, but I haven't had a USB drive lose connection and be unable to find again, just the weird issues where another source is highlighted and having to switch sources to remove the highlight.

#872 ·
The delay between commanding a call via SYNC and actually having the call made is also irks me. Even on the old system, unless it was already overloaded and moving slowly, commanding SYNC to make a call would make the call instantaneously.
My old system sometimes took a good 30 seconds to make a call. It was never instant. I thought it froze a few times before I'd hear ringing.

The one call I've made on this new update went though fast, but it didn't recognize who I was calling even though it did without problem pre-update. I had to ask sync to call like 4 times.

#860 ·
3 bugs/observations just on my 10 minute drive home today:

Entering a favorite destination NAME into the NAV-> Can't use space bar. Obviously able to use it in the past as I entered several before. It's grayed out now. Also, I had to tap the enter button repeatedly just to get it to take the name. I do have to admit though... typing letters is perfectly responsive.

3D NAV is useless. it redraws so slow it's drawing my previous turn as I'm making my next. Just horrible.

Whenever I turn on my car, Entertainment quadrant in the main menu has the shortcuts to sirius stations (Howard 100, 101, etc...), but all tune FM favorites instead. I can correct this by going into FM and then back out. Doesn't matter much to me, but pretty glaring bug right on the main screen.

On a side note--I just installed the NuShield screen protector someone on here recommended and it's excellent. Makes the screen look brighter and crisper, and seems to keep the fingerprints in check. Thanks to whoever recommended it.

#861 ·
Yay! Not even 96 full hours since the "upgrade" and hopped in my car to head home from work. Wanted to stream some Slacker so I turned on the stereo and went into entertainment so I could switch to BT Stereo. Hit the BT Stereo button and lo and behold, up came the Sirius screen and then a message about my subscription being expired (which it is so that part was correct, but then again, I didn't hit the Sirius button to begin with). Then, as I was reaching to hit Cancel on the message screen and lo and behold again, the screen went completely blank. After about 45 seconds (any guesses? C'mon, any?)

wait for it.....wait for IT.....wait FOR IT......WAIT FOR IT

"Performing Scheduled Maintenance" - Woohoo!

This thread has exploded recently and I have not seen every post but am I the first? If so, do I win some sort of prize?

I have the free version of Slacker so I am subject to ads but as the univesrse seems to have a somewhat sardonic sense of humor, as I was pulling into my driveway I heard Mike Rowe's voice as it was an ad for Ford on my newly schedule-maintained MFT.

#869 ·
Just noticed this when I went to grab some dinner. Anyone know the point of the line on the bottom of the home/settings buttons? I might understand it if it changed yellow and green for the top two buttons, but it doesn't, it just does red and blue.

#870 ·
Just noticed this when I went to grab some dinner. Anyone know the point of the line on the bottom of the home/settings buttons? I might understand it if it changed yellow and green for the top two buttons, but it doesn't, it just does red and blue.
Hmmm, I haven't noticed that one, yet. The car is out and about right now w/ my wife. I'll check for that symptom later this evening.

#875 ·
So, based on what I'm reading here, should I just stay with the original version of MFT?

I really haven't had serious problems. I occasionally get the "black screen" update and the voice command is sometimes slow when first starting out. But I'm thinking I may be better off not to update. Your thoughts?

#877 ·
My personal thought is just go with the new version. You won't get any support on the old version. We need to push Ford to fix bugs, so the more people running the current release and reporting bugs the better... Now, I can't confirm this, but I imagine if it doesn't work out and you complain enough, you could get 2.11 reflashed on your unit (though I imagine the first answer will be no...).

#882 ·
My stability has decreased. I had one instance on the prior version where it locked up, but it overall worked well for me. Upgraded, and now NAV system failing (not to mention the horribly slow nav system altogether) and just plain missing simple functionality (miss-mapped buttons, inability to use random buttons, system getting stuck on one audio input, the voice controls not working globally (have to say "Navigation" first to enter ALL nav commands--- each time! even when I'm already in NAV). It's frustrating because it's a daily thing and the small bugs are just WTF? types of bugs... the large bugs are complete loss of functionality (GPS, voice control, media indexing).

#886 ·
Sometimes i have to. Sometimes I don't. Depends on the mood of the system.
It's pretty annoying when it happens because the voice kicks in help telling me I need to say "navigation, bluetooth, etc..."

I THINK that it happens 100% if I'm tuned to Sirius, and happens no matter what screen I'm on, even if in NAV already.

#885 ·
A link to the whole thing is already up here somewhere but two of my favorite parts from the communication brief about the upgrade Ford sent dealers back in November:

Will the system still have black screens or reboots while driving? No, we do not expect customers will experience these issues anymore.

How do you know that these issues won’t happen again? We are confident in our testing process.

Less than four days and I got my first black screen, reboot while driving, scheduled maintenance. Oh well, at least they are confident. That is reassuring.

#890 ·
1st off... This is what I was greeted with when I started my car this morning. It stayed like this until I went into 'Entertainment' and selected Sirius. And I don't know why it just doesn't turn on to Sirius automatically when that was the last audio source selected when I last drove. [???:)]

2nd off... I found it hilarious that the MFT app in the App Store has an update for 'bug fixes'. I'm sure it's unrelated... but found it hilarious.

How do you know that these issues won’t happen again? We are confident in our testing process.
LOL. That's what scares me... they're actually confident in the testing process that left many major bugs in the system. They're mailing 300k copies of this buggy software to users... they should have been 1000% confident in their software before taking that major step.

Sometimes i have to. Sometimes I don't. Depends on the mood of the system.
It's pretty annoying when it happens because the voice kicks in help telling me I need to say "navigation, bluetooth, etc..."

I THINK that it happens 100% if I'm tuned to Sirius, and happens no matter what screen I'm on, even if in NAV already.
Thanks for the clarification. That is very aggravating... [:(] That functionality ALWAYS worked in v2.

#891 ·
This question is only for those with Navigation and those that have updated to the new software release.

Hi all.....since I have yet to receive the "updated" Navigation SD card or the performance update (I'm in Canada) I was just wondering if anyone that has updated to the new Nav SD, how is the performance/reliability compared to the old system? In my Focus, the Navigation system has "never" worked properly since I took possession of the car in June of 2011. It was basically a wasted $800.00 option that I paid for and have been unable to use for all of the known bugs listed on this forum including but not limited to the outdated maps, slow response time, GPS malfunctions, SD card error alerts, voice commands not recognized and not being able to input destinations. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. I thank you in advance.

#896 ·
Hi all.....since I have yet to receive the "updated" Navigation SD card or the performance update (I'm in Canada) I was just wondering if anyone that has updated to the new Nav SD, how is the performance/reliability compared to the old system? In my Focus, the Navigation system has "never" worked properly since I took possession of the car in June of 2011. It was basically a wasted $800.00 option that I paid for and have been unable to use for all of the known bugs listed on this forum including but not limited to the outdated maps, slow response time, GPS malfunctions, SD card error alerts, voice commands not recognized and not being able to input destinations. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. I thank you in advance.
I covered this several times. It's still worthless.

#893 ·
Thank you for clarifying, Doug. I understand the various levels of frustration at this point and I really am trying to help!

Jaclyn
It has been quite frustrating to say the least, but thanks for being there for us. You've been taking the hits like a champ and we really do appreciate you talking to us.

--------

On a personal note I hope by the end of the year mft is totally, 100% fixed. Im moving to florida then and id hate to endure 900 miles of fuse pulls, restarts and other general automotive insanity.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

#911 ·
Can any of you reproduce this, when I connect my iphone to the USB port (to play Pandora) and try to select it through the button on MFT screen I am getting error that "There are no playable media files on my iphone" and it goes back to whatever is currently playing (radio, sirius), but if I press the "M" button on steering wheel and cycle through the inputs I can select my USB connected iphone and it will play Pandora.

#919 ·
I just wanted to inject some positive into this thread...

Although we have these bugs that are quite annoying and they make the system feel unpolished in some ways AND we lost some good functionality with the layout changes, overall it IS faster. They are definitely headed in the right direction.. They really just needed another 1-2 months left and it would have been much better.

I think this update was rushed by someone high up. I'm not trying to knock the team that put this together.. I'm sure they really did do the best they could with what they resources/time they had.

#929 ·
I think this update was rushed by someone high up. I'm not trying to knock the team that put this together.. I'm sure they really did do the best they could with what they resources/time they had.
My guess would be that their developers were not fully up to the task and that there was a deadline that was engraved in stone. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that their "testers" did in fact find many of the bugs that we are reporting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.