car stalls with heater/AC fan on - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Lorijohn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82788
What I Drive: 2004 Silver 2.0L SPI

FF Reputation: 1 Lorijohn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
car stalls with heater/AC fan on

A few days ago my 2004 2.0L SPI Focus started running very rough and stalling whenever I would turn the heater/AC fan on...with AC on or off. Runs fine w/o fan on. I've seen many posts regarding problems with the AC and engine performance, but this one seems to occur even when the AC is off. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

john

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 63 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileA/C is on automatically in most heater positions (anything that includes defrost) even if the light doesn`t come on... That is just a switch position indicator..... Sounds like IAC issues Didle air control) as that is supposed to raise the idle for A/C use, cold starts, high charging load etc.. If you hit the fan switch O it stalls at idle, the idle rpm adjustment isn`t working.....
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Lorijohn
Focus Rookie

I was thinking it wasn't the IAC because this model has a separate pushbutton and indicator light on the dash for A/C. I assumed the compressor was not on unless the indicator light is lit, but haven't looked to see if it was turning. Is that not the case? The car also surges then stalls even if I rev the engine.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You're confusing the Idle Air Control (IAC) with the Air Conditioning (AC). The idle air control is what makes the idle go up when the air conditioning turns the compressor on. Now the AC compressor will run whether the button is pushed in or not, when the vent selector is in either the DEF/FLOOR, or DEF position. The AC light will not light up, but the AC compressor will be turning. This is to dry out the air blowing over the windshield.

Will the engine remain idling when the AC is switched on in any other vent selection?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Lorijohn
Focus Rookie

The engine fails no matter what setting the AC selector is on. Even on heater.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Lorijohn
Focus Rookie

input from whynotthinkwhynot to check ground wires was the solution. Corroded wire found, repaured and now working.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think there must be some problem with your ground to chassis connections so that when you turn the blower on, the resulting current lowers the voltage enough that the coil no longer works. I have seen one SVT where all the grounds had become disconnected except the ground connection to the cylinder head- and it was partially burnt through.

I'd check the connections to the negative battery terminal first. There should be at least 2 chassis ground connections (small wires) connected to the negative terminal as well as the large ground that bolts between the neg terminal and the engine. Trace that one down and make sure it is still connected. Then check to be sure there is a ground connection to the back of the cylinder head, or the passenger side motor mount.

Once you check all that out, look in the owner's manual to find the fuse location and size for the blower motor. Find the fuse, make sure it is the correct size.

That's my hypothesis. I thought I wrote it in here a few days ago, and now it's not there.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
pisces1974
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111015
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 pisces1974 Good Standing Member
2002 ZX3 Stalls at idle when heater is on

I have a 2002 ZX3, and at an idle it stalls if the heater is on. When the heater is off it is fine. Also if I make many stops (where I turn the car off) in a short period of time the car will not stay running unless I have my foot on the gas, but if i let it sit for an hour it is fine again. I need to know what is wrong with the car, and if the problems are related.
Thank You,
Christina
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Lorijohn
Focus Rookie

Sounds a lot like what what happening to my 2004. I found a bad ground wire at the battery; fixed it, and that solved the whole problem. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
pisces1974
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111015
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 pisces1974 Good Standing Member
Thank you I will try that

Bookmarks & Social Networks