Focus Fanatics Forum banner

what's this metal tube?

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  total_telecom 
#1 ·
Focus zetec engine, the metal tube horizontal and parallel to the longer side of engine valve cover, it's above the exhaust manifold.

From the image i linked, you can see it clearly it's the painted black metal tube.

there is a small leak, how can i fix it?

thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
That would be the power steering line, And does your steering feel weird? And where is the hole cause if it's in the metal that runs over the heat shield there? You will have to replace the line.

Welcome to FF, your engine bay is very clean for a 2000, just take the fire wall blanket off on the back there.

Dj

#9 ·
If it's in the metal tube you can fix it if you have a welder and some experiance. Or if you have a torch and a metal hanger you can braze it.

#4 ·
Yea of course you can do the job yourself, and no there is no way to close the hole, the power steering line there is under pressure.

So changing it yourself, rating it from a 1-10 scale...? it's about a 4, I personally think the hardest part is unhooking it from the bottom of the power steering pump. That nut on the bottom can be hard to get at, it might be easier to take the power steering pump out to get to that nut.

Do you have a Haynes manual for the car to help when taking it apart?

#7 ·
If you take your passenger side headlight out it's really easy to get at the nut on the pump. The other one isn't hard to get to but make sure to soak it in oil and use a flare nut wrench. Don't be tempted to use a regular wrench on it and risk rounding it off.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the answers and tips, I'll give it a try next week OR I have to take it to a shop.

BTW, that picture I LINKED is not from my car, I steal the picture from internet search. The engine bay of mine is much dirtier, plus this power steering line leakage makes it look like a mess.[shameful]

#11 ·
Damn Car

Thank Goodness for this site.... Freaking out over here. I just put $1000 in pads, rotors, oil change, inner/outer tie rod, tires, alignment and a rim and this happens a week later. Im at my wits end with this car....

How much does it cost to repair and about how much time does it take?
Thank you for your time....

#13 ·
Thank Goodness for this site.... Freaking out over here. I just put $1000 in pads, rotors, oil change, inner/outer tie rod, tires, alignment and a rim and this happens a week later. Im at my wits end with this car....

How much does it cost to repair and about how much time does it take?
Thank you for your time....
This seems like general maintenance gonna have to do on any vehicle.

tires, cost me a grand every time I put new ones on my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.