Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Way to go Ford....

17K views 92 replies 56 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
Official: Ford tumbles to second worst in Consumer Reports reliability survey, list dominated by Japanese
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/29/ford-tumbles-to-second-worst-in-consumer-reports-reliabil/

Thought I would share this. I am not surprised. I am dealing with a transmission that slips into neutral and all I here is "we cannot duplicate" or it is normal. I have had a bunch of other issues too...most are already mentioned on this forum.

..and the fact that my car is less than a year old and worth only half of what I paid, confirms for me thatthis is my first and last Ford

Poetically it is a Dirty Job advertising the Swap your Ride program, and when this car of mine is paid, I too will Swap my Ride....for anything but a Ford.

#65 ·
That's funny ... when looking back at all the cars I've owned .... their analysis and experience with 'troublespots' has been dead on accurate. I wonder how many detractors would be so negative on CR if they had given the Focus great ratings.

Regarding ratings, they're obviously weighted .... an otherwise great car can easily get a 'not acceptable' if anything safety related has issues, even if 14 of the other 15 categories are good.

Their mileage ratings have also been almost exactly what I've gotten in long-term use.

Motor Trend and Automobile magazine say the exact same thing about the DCT and MFT, so I guess they have no credibility either ....

Anybody who even now continues to maintain that there aren't real problems with the DCT or MFT simply has their head in the sand .... or somewhere else ....

REV

#67 ·
That's funny ... when looking back at all the cars I've owned .... their analysis and experience with 'troublespots' has been dead on accurate. I wonder how many detractors would be so negative on CR if they had given the Focus great ratings.

Regarding ratings, they're obviously weighted .... an otherwise great car can easily get a 'not acceptable' if anything safety related has issues, even if 14 of the other 15 categories are good.

Their mileage ratings have also been almost exactly what I've gotten in long-term use.

Motor Trend and Automobile magazine say the exact same thing about the DCT and MFT, so I guess they have no credibility either ....

Anybody who even now continues to maintain that there aren't real problems with the DCT or MFT simply has their head in the sand .... or somewhere else ....

REV
Actually someone who worked at CR wrote a book about that very thing. Unbiased is a term they use loosely.

#73 ·
Its tough to be a leader w.r.t technology and features. People are resistant to change, especially people who like "beige" cars. Somebody has to break new ground and take the risks.

It sure would be easy to top the reliability charts when you're a late follower, and your mainstream model, ie. Corolla, comes with an ancient (read: we know it works because we've been using it for the last 15 years) 4 speed automatic torque converter transmission

#80 ·
Bought one of the first 2012's on my dealer's lot and mine has been running perfectly since day 1. Love both the MFT and DCT. Could they benefit from improvements? Sure, but it does everything I want it to do. Greatest car I've ever owned and I've had plenty!

#81 ·
I think we can all agree that the 2012 Focus caused the Crusades, the plagues, the dark ages, the death of Kennedy, it has the missing watergate tapes, it convinced us to invade Iraq and it clubs baby seals in its spare time.

#90 ·
I don't know but this unicorn fart sure smells at times.

I believe that some have very valid concerns regarding their car and it's easy to sit back and call some "whiners" when you aren't experiencing their issues. Fact is there are some of us, myself included have had issues with our DCT and have gone to great lengths to make sure we have done everything possible we can on our end. But at some point Ford needs to step up as well and take part in resolving the issues that some of us are having. It's a 2-way street, no one-sided relationship ever works.

So far, I have no complaints with how my dealership or Ford have handled my concerns with the DCT. I have been more then patient I think, with 3 stops at the dealership, one for the TSB update that didn't help, another for the replacement of the clutch actuators, and the 3rd for the drive with the mechanic. A 4th one will be coming up when Ford decides what to do with my DCT issue.

Other then that, the car has been great. I love the look and lay out of the car and it does drive great once the shuddering stops.

#91 ·
Exactly SportyChick.
I'm not a "whiner" at all, quite the opposite and have "defended" this car to many people, and quite like it. My dealership has been very pleasant to deal with (as they should really), and FoMoCo Canada hasn't said "no" to any warranty requests yet, so, I will still sing their praises.
Now, having said that, this is my first Ford "car" (have had a few trucks over the years), and in only 1 year of ownership, my Focus has been in for warranty "issues" 11 times, 3 of those times were 1 week or longer which required a loaner/rental. My last 4 VW's and the Mazda (2010 3 Sport) didn't have that many "issues" combined. To put it into perspective, none (except perhaps the DCT) have been major "show stopper" issues, so, I don't worry to much about it, but it is still very annoying at the best For now, I've chalked it up to "first year model" growing pains, and nothing more. I'm not complaining or worrying too much about it, I should have waited until at least Job 2 models, but, the fact that I got better than "D Plan" pricing, and, overall, this is a VERY nice car, will keep me a Ford customer for a while at least. As always, YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.