Focus Fanatics Forum banner

'12 FF S rear ended today, totalled?

6K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Supramk3 
#1 ·
So my fiancee was rear ended today on her way to work. It looked minor, untill I looked behind the bumper and found the unibody/substructure, had damage.

Could be fixable, or possibly totalled.

(Last pic is looking up at the substructure from the ground.)

See less See more
#2 ·
That could be tricky. Frankly an S won't be worth much, especially with how '12s have lost value. Cosmetic repairs shouldn't be much but if the unibody is damaged that's a different story. It may have to be torn down for further examination first.

#4 ·
Hopefully your Fiancee is ok after the incident.

I'm not a mechanic so not sure if it's fixable or not, but seeing how the car is a 2012 the value of it would probably be still very high. So insurance would get estimate to fix the car and compare it with the current value of the car.

About two years ago I drove a 2000 Toyota Rav4. Someone thought see could make a left in front of me from a stop sign and was wrong. I was able to brake hard, but still pretty much t-boned her car. The front of my car hit at about 10-15 mph since I broke hard. The damage didn't look that bad from the outside, and the car was still drivable. The insurance guy looked under the hood and noticed frame damage. The cars value at that time was around 6000 according to blue book, but cost estimate to replace the whole from frame was around 8000. So they called it totalled and gave me a 6000 check.

Remember that it being declared totaled is not always a great thing. My Rav4 was payed off and me and my wife enjoyed no car payments for two years. Because it was considered totalled I got a nice check, but 6000 doesn't buy a new car - or even used for what we wanted. We ended up getting a Chrystler Town And Country since we have two kids and were back to having another car payment.

#6 ·
Hopefully your Fiancee is ok after the incident.

I'm not a mechanic so not sure if it's fixable or not, but seeing how the car is a 2012 the value of it would probably be still very high. So insurance would get estimate to fix the car and compare it with the current value of the car.

About two years ago I drove a 2000 Toyota Rav4. Someone thought see could make a left in front of me from a stop sign and was wrong. I was able to brake hard, but still pretty much t-boned her car. The front of my car hit at about 10-15 mph since I broke hard. The damage didn't look that bad from the outside, and the car was still drivable. The insurance guy looked under the hood and noticed frame damage. The cars value at that time was around 6000 according to blue book, but cost estimate to replace the whole from frame was around 8000. So they called it totalled and gave me a 6000 check.

Remember that it being declared totaled is not always a great thing. My Rav4 was paid off and me and my wife enjoyed no car payments for two years. Because it was considered totalled I got a nice check, but 6000 doesn't buy a new car - or even used for what we wanted. We ended up getting a Chrystler Town And Country since we have two kids and were back to having another car payment.
Fiancee is fine, thank you for that :]

and ive had my car valued recently as i was attempting to trade it off for a Tacoma. its worth 10,800~, 10 day payoff is 18,300. so if they total it, i get nothing, my GAP pays the difference and I start over.

But I will let you all know what i find out.

#5 ·
Ill report back once I have the insurance adjuster come appraise the damage.

#7 ·
Best wishes.

Hope your fiancee is ok as well!

If you took out a loan, did you have insurance that covers the difference between car value and loan cost?

It's a shame the '12 models have depreciated so badly; it's not the customers' fault, so why they have to live with it... [:(]

#9 ·
Open up the trunk & pull the spare out & you'll see the wrinkled floor pan. Easy enough to do the repair. At least its not a Escape or a small suv= massive hassel when those get wadded up= rear ended real good. I'm saying $2200 to $2700. w/o looking at it.

#22 ·
Yea im saying $4,500 max at like 6k with out looking at it in person. I had a 2010 se that i hit a blown out semi tire on the high way that went under the front and poped out the back left side, needed new bumper, ac inter cooler, new rear tail light, new exhaust shielding and the rear drivers side floor was buckled up where the strip of tire balled up and kicked out, and probably a few more small things im forgeting. it was like $2,800 to fix it.

Tomorrow i am going to get my own quotes from the local Auto Body Shops and then will give em an insight as to the direction of the repair/replacement, until the Adjuster makes it out.
I will definitely let you all know.
If it is drivable then take it to a few shops and get an estimate on the damage, it will help you check out the shop and how they handle there business. And they will give you a quote to give your insurance it will help you get a better repair because then they can tell the insurance how they want to fix it instead of the insurance telling them how to fix it(it will help you get a better first quote and then you don't have to fight them for a second check if the shop needs to do something different.

On the subject of getting rear ended and having your car totaled. My 2010 was totaled on Dec 12. I had stoped at a yellow light that turned red immediately after i stoped. Then i was rear ended by a surbban, and pushed all the way through a intersection that was 5 lanes plus a middle median and two side turn medians. Saddly to say my foci was royally screwed, But luckly i was completely fine out side of being sore; witch was a good thing because i was leaving to go on a cruise with my parents the next day. The best part i was partially at fault says the officer that respond because i made a stop form an unsafe speed at the light and didnt give her enough time to stop, yet i stoped like i do at every light(im pretty sure its because he new the lady and didn't want her to get the blame for it. It was in one of those "city's" inside a city where a small community decides they want to make a city board of there own.). So right now im out my $500 deductible plus tow, rental, storage of the car at the shop, and a couple small things that my insurance wont cover till they get hers to pay for it. Since if you total a car it wasn't a o i didn't quite have enough time to stop accident, its im a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g idiot not paying attention accident. Lucky my insurance has told me it is a 95% chance that i will eventually get my money after they take it to court, they said it will just take a while for me to get my money. And now for the pictures.

Drivers seat bent back i driver with a nearly vertical seat back, and neither rear door will open.

#11 ·
Even if there are unibody issues, that damage could be much worse. Your car is new enough that it is not totaled -- even with more than anticipated first-year depreciation.

#13 ·
Tomorrow i am going to get my own quotes from the local Auto Body Shops and then will give em an insight as to the direction of the repair/replacement, until the Adjuster makes it out.

I will definitely let you all know.

#15 ·
Not even close to being totaled. To think that it might be a total loss is extraodinarily optimistic. As some suggested there's no way to know the complete extent of the damage without an expert evaluation, however at the same time the exterior damage to the reaer bumper is a very good indication of what lies beneath. If there was extensive damage done to the unibody, you would expect more obvious signs of damage to the rear bumper.

#16 ·
From the photos there isn't anything to indicate that will not be repairable. And it will be fine.
Like felix said it will need to be taken apart to see all of the damage.
Get it to a shop. And make sure they restore the corrosion protection when they do the repair.

#23 ·
Damages total out to $2,622.85 for the preliminary estimate. Could be more once in the shop next week. Its a 3 day repair.

Parts to be fixed or replaced are:

Bumper Cover
Impact Bar
Energy Absorber
LT Outer Bracket
Valance
LT Reflector
LT Tail Lamp Assembly
Rear Body Panel (Repair)
LT QTR Rear extn
LT Inner QTR Panel (Repair)
LT Pressure Vent

$1,156.27 in Parts

#24 ·
I thought a "total" loss was optimistic. Glad to see that the damage is so minimal. Be sure to ask about repair guarantee. Oftentimes insurance companies require that collision centers provide guarantees on parts/workmanship to their insured customers. At least that's the case with my insurance company.

#27 ·
Glad everyone is okay and glad the damage is overall pretty minimal!

I'm not sure if this applies in your case, but check if you can get a diminished value reimbursement. Sometimes you can get a check for a grand or two from the other insurance company since your car now does not have a "clean" carfax/etc.

#29 ·
Ill look into that thanks.
And yes im glad no one was hurt

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2

#28 ·
I think I beat you...

My 2012 S was T-boned in the drivers side rear door and wheel... by a 1999 Dodge Caravan...

Here's the list of my Carnage..

Wheel, Rear (I supplied from ebay) 217.00 thier cost 495.00
back glass, Heated (repair) 88.00
Panel left Qtr 1020.15
glass qtr (tinted) 88.00
Knuckle Rear Susp Left 148.52
Hub Wheel Rear 112.03
Rear Shock/Strut 68.18
Rocker Molding (waiting on price)
Inner Wheel house (waiting on price)

Total hours for sheet metal replacement/repair - 42.8 hours

Total of the estimate initially was 5218.96
But was told some additional damage was found and it's gonna add almost another 500.00 bucks to it.

To really make matters worse.. the guy that hit me had no license, no insurance and has no job or assets... ugh..
Luckily I wasn't hurt... all it did to his was rip his front bumper off...

#32 ·
Well I am out of work, so thats not the problem. The problem is I am supposed to be heading to ND any day now and will have to travel and be gone for 3 days. So i hope they get on this I am not stranded with no car.

#34 · (Edited)
Well my car was dropped off at the body shop this morning and my rental was picked up. Its a 4 day repair.

My rental is a 2012 VW Jetta S. Pretty nice car, the auto is sluggish and the steering has a weird ratio, you turn the wheel way more then im used to, to get it to turn. Otherwise I dig it

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2

#35 ·
was sent some pictures of the damage under the bumper cover.

not as bad as it could have been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.