Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Parking Aid Malfunction - Service Required

236K views 145 replies 57 participants last post by  Arco-Zakus 
#1 ·
Making this thread might be kind of useless, since the issue is obvious, but it's the first time I've seen this error:

"Parking aid malfunction Service required"

"Caution Active Park Assist Fault Please contact your dealer for service."

Well, there's your problem right there!

I cleaned off the sensors in front and everything worked again. Now that it's finally started snowing, remember to drive safely! Also, if you have the Ti handling package and live in the snow belt, I highly recommend snow tires.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup! Though, it's more due to passing semis on the highway...

EDIT: Best part? I didn't even have to blur my license plate before posting this.

#6 ·
heh, my Ti + handling pack just got home yesterday after abandoning it a couple miles away. It's just like driving the Mustang in the snow, except the steering end of the car slides all over the place.

#12 ·
I find it parks either the perfect distance, or too far - especially with awkward snow banks.

I had an issue with my rim rubbing the curb, but I believe it happened pulling away from the curb (i.e.: turning and driving forward instead of backing up first).

#14 ·
Hi everyone,

6th month into my 12 Focus up here in wintery east coast Canada. Last week my Parking Aid Malfunction - Service Required showed up on the dash... like the photos at the beginning of this post. The difference however is that I can't see anything blocking the sensors. It doesn't trigger all the time either. Like today it hasn't gone off but I haven't driven as much as the last couple of days. Are there any suggestions any one can offer that I can do besides cleaning off the sensors (already tried that).

Thanks in advance!

#15 ·
Yikes, you got me on that one. If it is still snowing, you might want to try bringing out a warm glass of water and old toothbrush and cleaning the sensors in the front AND the back. If that doesn't work, it could be a wiring issue... to the dealer!

#19 ·
haven't had any issues yet on my 4/11 build focus w/ parking assist package. Haven't seen too many rumblings on here either. The system is fairly well understood and the manufacturer has been putting these things on cars for years and years. My guess is you got a gremlin in your harness somewhere.

#20 ·
safetyguy14:

Just got it back they have to order the driver side harness needs to be replaced from Michigan. Two weeks and hopefully this time it will be fixed. I am not the most tech-savy but anyone know why the harness would have issues? It's just a few wires isn't it?

The dealership said they didn't encounter this issue but were the 2012 is new to us it may lead followups down the road. I wasn't sure if the Park Aid was something new, thought it was existing in other models already.

Auslander

#23 ·
Anyone have a photo of what these harnesses look like? I the cold wet climate here in Newfoundland I would be curious if it should some how be winterized.

Auslander

#27 ·
I have had this error now for 4 days every time I drive. It flashes when I slow down to stop and again when I speed up from a stop. I was told that the diagnostic says the module needs to be replaced. They are waiting on the part. Suddenly it worked again for a whole trip, but after restarting the car, it went back to the error code. (Figures I am 700 miles past the warranty coverage...)
I've had that and similar messages come up a few times but always when I start the car with my OBDII dongle connected. I can shut the car off and try to restart but most times I still get the message or a similar one. As soon as I remove the dongle and restart the messages go away and there is no issue...
Hey everyone,

If you're still experiencing this issue, making an appointment at your dealership so they can inspect is a great first step. Additionally, I'm happy to see how I can help as well; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. We'll go from there!

Crystal

#25 ·
I have had this error now for 4 days every time I drive. It flashes when I slow down to stop and again when I speed up from a stop. I was told that the diagnostic says the module needs to be replaced. They are waiting on the part. Suddenly it worked again for a whole trip, but after restarting the car, it went back to the error code. (Figures I am 700 miles past the warranty coverage...)

#26 ·
I've had that and similar messages come up a few times but always when I start the car with my OBDII dongle connected. I can shut the car off and try to restart but most times I still get the message or a similar one. As soon as I remove the dongle and restart the messages go away and there is no issue.

Brian

#33 ·
it's probably a rear sensor fault. you'll need someone with factory level scan diagnostics to find out exactly what the issue is. These parking aid sensors have been in use for years on the Ford-built Land Rovers and Jaguars etc..

I just fixed one the other day on a Range Rover where it just gave me the same error message. Scan diagnostics said it was a right rear outer sensor failure. Found two pinched wires (three wire sensors) fixed that and it immediately worked.

A little DIY tip to figure out if you have a faulty sensor or not... since these operate as sonar sensors, they make noise! it's quiet, but it's a little "tick." With the engine off/Ignition on and.the car in reverse, get up nice and close to each sensor and make sure they're making noise. if one of them isn't, you've narrowed down your fault.

#34 ·
Just got the error the other day, however sometimes I'll also get an error saying hill assist isn't working either (can't remember the exact wording of that error). Wouldn't be such a big deal, but the car won't start.

At the dealership now, and they give that look like I'm crazy and they have no idea what's wrong with my car. I love dealerships.

#35 ·
This just happened to me the other day. Stranded while picking up my son from school. "Parking Aid Malfunction Service Required" wouldn't start or turn over (only equipped with rear parking aid). Lights and all accessories worked. I thought I may have run out of gas as I was super low and near a station. Maybe just a phantom code. No dice.
Had to get towed to a dealership.
Was a new scenario for them. Multiple codes were found: B-11DB-83, B-1D13 11, P0850, U1013. Paraphrasing his notes, but all codes lead to no communication with TCM (transmission control module).
After several tests concluded he had to replace TCM luckily covered under power train warranty. I also needed to replace battery but I believe that was unrelated but who knows.

Hope this helps others with similar issue. TCM was bad which is weird for a car this old. But at this point nothing surprises me with this car .

2012 SEL, 40K miles

#36 ·
This just happened to me the other day. Stranded while picking up my son from school. "Parking Aid Malfunction Service Required" wouldn't start or turn over (only equipped with rear parking aid). Lights and all accessories worked. I thought I may have run out of gas as I was super low and near a station. Maybe just a phantom code. No dice.
Had to get towed to a dealership.
Hey Lex1229,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager, who'll work with your dealer to come to a swift solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and servicing dealership.

Todd

#39 ·
Parking aid shouldnt cause it to have a no start condition. What I can suggest though is that it may be a comm issue in the CAN network.

#43 ·
Someone please help!
This has happened to me several times already. The last time it happened I was stranded for an hour. Luckily, I was at a safe location and not some parking lot in the city at night. It happens at random times, at least once a week. But because it's so random, the mechanic at the dealership can't seem to catch it actually happening and therefore won't do anything. I've already taken it to the dealership twice and they just give it back to me and say they can't recreate the problem and just tell me to take it home. The first time I came back from the dealer I got the message as soon as I got home. I had only had it back for an hour. Whenever I turn the key to start the car the message "Parking Aid Malfunction Service Required" comes on and the engine won't turn over. I keep on trying to start the car and eventually, it will turn on. This can take anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour. The second time I took it back to the dealer I talked to the mechanic working on the car and told him that I read of someone else on this forum having the same problem as me and that his mechanic said it was the TCM. He told me that it wasn't possible for the TCM to cause the car not to start. I told
him that I could record a video of the car doing this and he said it didn't matter unless
it happens in front of him. This is a safety issue! I'm freakin being stranded by this car! The car was bought new, is still under warranty and only has 32k on it and i'm more scared to drive it then my 10+ yr old car because I just don't know when it will leave me stranded again.
Lex1229 posted these error codes for his particular problem " B-11DB-83, B-1D13 11, P0850, U1013" Since this problem is random and difficult to catch at the dealer, can't Ford enter this information into their mechanic technical hotline or something? Because I doubt my dealer is going to do anything unless i spend lots of $$$ and time to get it towed up there. There has gotta be another way to diagnose this problem then catching it "in the act"

#44 ·
I recently had the same problem. I left my car at the dealer even though it was not misbehaving at the time. I can't believe they would not help you!!
Dealer service said it was a transmission module. That was replaced but it did not solve the problem. Several days later and after consulting with Ford in Michigan, the diagnosis was an electrical problem. I was told they had to take the interior apart to find the source of the problem. I contacted Ford in Michigan through this forum and asked for their help. I don't know if in fact it helped to speed things along but i felt I was doing all I could on my end. Be prepared to supply Ford with your VIN, dealer info, etc. Very strange that it seems to be happening to mostly our year and model. I hope this info helps you with your car. Good luck!

#46 ·
Has anyone actually had a solution found to this problem?
Last night the car wouldn't start due to the "Parking Aid Malfunction" error for over an hour and then randomly started. We drove home and 3 blocks from the house the transmission disengaged and coasted to a stop on the street. I tried to start it after letting it sit for a few hours and it wouldn't start. This morning I tried it again before the flatbed was there to take it to the dealer. When I spoke to the dealer they said they have never seen this before. Any help on this would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.