Focus Fanatics Forum banner

02fordsvt Build/Mod/Random Thread

261K views 2K replies 86 participants last post by  02fordsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally decided to make myself a thread I can call my own. I'm not expecting to do any major builds in the near future, but since I'm always doing little changes to my car, I figured I might as well put them all in one place and stop cluttering up the rest of the forum.

A bit about me and the car. I bought my 2002 Ford Focus Svt in June, 2010 and had no real hands on knowledge about working on or modding a car except some basics I learned from my dad and from reading auto magazines. Over the past few months I have done a lot of work on this car and have really learned how to do many things. In other words, it doesn't matter how much knowledge you have, you can do anything that I have done. Furthermore, I will be the first one to admit that I have not done many things in the best or most efficient way possible. I am just learning and having fun.

Thread Rules (Or lack thereof)

Feel free to post any kind of comments or questions. If anyone would like to know how to do anything, let me know and I can give you some of the resources I used. Becuase of the way I have this thread organized, it doesn't matter how cluttered the rest of the thread gets. Post anything you feel like from suggestions, questions, and random comments. I won't feel bad if anything gets a little of topic. [thumb]

Table of Contents

First post:

Current Status Section
  1. Current Performance Modifications
  2. Current Interior Modifications
  3. Current Exterior Modifications
  4. Current Exterior Pictures
  5. Current Interior Pictures
Second post:

Modification Time Line

Reference Material

See less See more
#1,506 ·
Wow. Looks Really Good.... NotThat I Would Expect Any Less. You Got Skills.

#1,508 ·
Yes, still needs to be wetsanded.

Got this installed yesterday evening. I used the former sockets from the bumper side lights sanded down to fit in the triangle.

#1,511 ·
Well, good news, bad news.

Good news is that I'm almost done with the PS fender. I polished it yesterday and am almost done with the fitment again. Hope to have the side skirt on by the end of the day.

Bad news is that my DS lower control arm is shot. It was brand new 9 months ago but it's in even worse condition than the old set was. Hopefully, I can get some kind of warranty for it but I'm not hopeful.

#1,512 ·
Quick update.

The lower control arm is fixed. The parts store gave me a free replacement because these have a lifetime warranty. Very happy about that.

Bought a new set of Hankook tires from Discount tire. Hopefully they will arrive this week and go on this weekend so I can get my car inspected.

Bought a CF hood this weekend and hoping to have it in a week or so. Has some paint fade but that wont be an issue.

Also very lightly tinted my taillights only enough so that they don't glare pink in direct sunlight anymore.

#1,513 ·
Sorry man, every time I went on my phone up there I guess it never updated your thread or said you commented again. We were in Camden/Willamsport. Damn I wanted to see the car too lol.

#1,515 ·
I probably wouldn't have been able to do anything that weekend anyways. It was another one of those hectic, never ending workends.

sweet... on the hood and the free raplacement..

tail lights sound like how i wanted to tint mine, but i went a tad darker due to not finding a light enough vinyl tint for them.
I may have gone to dark on mine as well. I don't know if it's because I always look at them in the sun when I was spraying them or if they've darkened some more, but they seem darker now than when i sprayed them. Still like them, though. The turns don't stand out so much anymore.

As for the free replacement, that part was great. Now I have a horrible toe in problem. [facepalm] Yet another problem to try to fix.

#1,514 ·
sweet... on the hood and the free raplacement..

tail lights sound like how i wanted to tint mine, but i went a tad darker due to not finding a light enough vinyl tint for them.

#1,517 ·
Began sanding and polishing the CF Hood yesterday; it's not perfect but it will work for now. I'll probably reclear it at a later time but first I want to run it on the car as is and see how I like it or if I want to paint all or part of it.

#1,519 ·
Yes, it's real. At least I think it's real, I've never dealt with CF and only seen one other CF part in person before so I don't even know how to tell if it's it's truly real or just vinyl with a quarter inch of clear over it. lol

As for weight, I don't know yet. I'll compare when I take the metal off the car but I can easily chuck this hood around without any problems. That said, it will only be a few pounds lighter, so unless your trying to save every little ounce, a CF hood doesn't really make that much difference as far as weight is concerned.

#1,520 ·
My Fiber Glass Hood Is Drastically Lighter, So I Can Only Imagine. Looks Really Good.

#1,528 ·
Looking forward to putting the tires on but I'm trying to get all the possible life out of these tires before throwing them away. lol

Here's just a "teaser" picture. If you really squint, you can start to see how the cars profile is going to look when finished.

And because I obviously don't have enough work to do already, I have adopted another car into my fold, and yes, it's a Fofo. It's an automatic 2001 Focus SE sedan, sadly do to NY salt, it's rusting away. Hopefully I can combat the rust like I am on my Svt but it's going to take some time.

The basic back story on this car is I originally bought it in 2008 as my first car and drove it through my college years. After college, my dad was in need of a work car and I wanted something more exciting so he got the SE and I got the Svt in 2010. This year, my dad changed jobs and now has a company truck so the car is no longer needed on a daily basis so it is taking a new position as the work horse, backup car for my family including me. I'll probably start using this car more in the winter than the Svt especially when the rear fenders are getting cut up. It will be nice not having to be working on the Svt and not have to keep it as a DD at the same time.

Here's a relatively poor picture of it after a good cleaning:

#1,529 ·
FF.com, say a formal hello to Rusty. Rusty, welcome to FF. lol

Here are some much better pictures of the SE. She's in rough shape bodily but very sound mechanically. It's going to take some work but I'm hoping to repair most of the rust at least visually. The car's is stock except for the mud flaps and tinted side markers that I did the night before.

First tasks where tinted side markers and foglight mod.

After an hour of work last night, Rusty has a new face. Tinted the grill lightly and added my old SVT headlights. Today, I hope to repaint the SVT's old hood black and paint the mirrors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.