Focus Fanatics Forum banner

?How To?-Getrag Shift Linkage-Counterweight Removal

200K views 382 replies 160 participants last post by  Svtsc 
#1 · (Edited)
Here’s a close up of the bolt you’ll need to remove.
3) Using a 13mm socket, remove the bolt, and the counterweight and bushings will come right out.

EDIT
For some reason, the first 2 posts for step 1) and 2) are missing.
1) Remove the airbox.
2) Remove the bolt holding the counterweight on.
EDIT-II:
Hint: Shift the transmission to Reverse for easiest access to the bolt.

And, here's a wider angle shot of the counterweight, just after removing the airbox:
(click on thumbnail for larger version)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here’s what was just removed. (from left to right)
Nylon bushing, steel insert/bushing, counterweight, and bolt.
Parts are shown in appropriate installation/removal order.
Note:
I broke the bolt loose with a 3/8 ratchet, and then used a 1/4 ratchet to get it the rest of the way out.
Space is at a premium in this location. Not much room for your hands.
I also reinstalled the bushings and bolt, cause I just don’t like leaving holes in the transmission.
And, if I ever decide to put the counterweight back on, all the attaching hardware will still be ready to go.

Attachments

#4 ·
^^^I hadn't finished yet...

So there you have it.
About a 30 minute job total from start to finish, including removal / reinstallation of the intake box.
I can not emphasize enough how much this improves the shifting.
It’s extremely light, and almost shifts itself to the next gear (whether up or down) for you now.
I’m NOT kidding…it’s unbelievable how much lighter and smoother the shifts are.

For those of you (like myself) that rave about the improvements the VF rear mount and STS combo makes in the shifting,
this mod takes it one step further to perfection.
It’s another one of those “it should have come this way from the factory” mods.

Oh…and remember how hard it is to put this tranny in reverse gear?
I can safely say it’s a WHOLE lot easier now.

Oh...and remember that "sticky" 1-2 shift?
GONE.

#7 ·
OMG how did you figure this one out? I might need to do this tonight.
DO IT!!!
I updated my first post with a link to where I originally saw this.

i love you, i needed you oh baby oh baby
I'm not quite sure how to respond to that...[:p]

#9 ·
^^^Now that's an extremely good question.
I liken it to:
1) Why'd they give us such a soft/anemic rear mount?
2) Why'd they give us such a horrid stock tune?
3) Why didn't they make the TC completely defeatable with the switch?
etc etc...[dunno]

If you look at the link in my first post (link to where I first saw this mod),
you'll see there's several people that have had the counterweight removed for quite some time with no ill effects.

#10 ·
That is awesome, and so easy to do ....... I know what MY next mod is! LOL I have often thought about removing that thing but felt like I just didn't have the time to figure it out, and now I see just how easy it is! Thanks Doug, good work and great write up!!!

#14 ·
Did this mod shortly after I installed my VF rear mount and FRPP short throw shifter, and heartily agree with WD40 - the car shifts like a different animal! It has a crisper, more tactile feeling, with a lighter throw. Fun!!

#15 ·
WD40 said:
^^^Now that's an extremely good question.
I liken it to:
1) Why'd they give us such a soft/anemic rear mount?
2) Why'd they give us such a horrid stock tune?
3) Why didn't they make the TC completely defeatable with the switch?
etc etc...[dunno]

If you look at the link in my first post (link to where I first saw this mod),
you'll see there's several people that have had the counterweight removed for quite some time with no ill effects.
4) Why does the CAT bracket break so easily?
5) Why do the stupid heatshields rattle so much?
etc. etc....[:D]

I'm sold, I'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens.

P.s. GO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [thumb]

#16 ·
jaykirs said:
but felt like I just didn't have the time to figure it out, and now I see just how easy it is!
And...it's probably that much easier for you with the CAI.
I'll bet that's a lot quicker to remove from the MAF than the stock airbox to gain access.
In fact...you might not even have to touch it at all.[thumb]

#17 ·
I removed the counterweight some time ago and love it. Granted It wasn't nearly as easy for me to get off... I ended up stripping the head of the bolt got pissed of and said [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] it who needs the freaking counterweight and took the sawzall to it... I cut through the bushing between the counterweight and the arm it connects to and then through the bolt, no ill effects. Granted it can't ever be put back but I have no regrets after driving with it removed.

#18 ·
DAMMIT!! I half debated telling the company I have coming over in 30 minutes not to come til later so I could go to the garage and do this. Am I a bad person or just a true fanatic?

#21 ·
good something for me to do in a little bit. thanks doug. i know since i had installed my cai it's been easier access to that location when my linkage "falls" off the shifter when i shift.

great write up [thumb]

sts and vf mount coming soon...[:)~]

#24 ·
OrangeSVTguy said:
i know since i had installed my cai it's been easier access to that location when my linkage "falls" off the shifter when i shift.
Tell me about it. I have had my linkage pop off more that once while trying to shift to 2nd gear real fast thereby leaving me gearless until I pulled over and reach my hand in that HOT engine compartment and pop it back on. I am hoping that removing the counterweight that will go away.

On a side not, I learned to use the tire iron cover as a heat sheild to keep from burning my hand while popping it back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.