Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic bolt ons: Hi Flow cats and Off Road pipes

24K views 82 replies 44 participants last post by  Focus boy 
#1 ·
Not everyone can use a race header in their setup, for the folks who cannot and wish to remain emissions legal you can use a hi flow cat.

Hi Flow catalytic converters

There are truly only 2 hi flow cats on the market and they are:

Random technology hi flow cat
Focus central hi flow cat

PROS
A high flow cat can make very good gains when used along with a full length exhaust. A car using an aftermarket shorty, flexpipe and cat back can gain anywhere from 5 - 8 whp an as much wtq when adding a hi flow cat. A shorty header and hi flow cat combo also allow the engine to produce usable low rpm torque, this is good for daily drivers.

CONS
Hi flow cats can be pricey, a RT cat pipe goes for around $ 300 and the FC cat for around $ 250

Cat Eliminator pipe/Off Road pipe

Only one company makes an off road or cat eliminator pipe for the zetec equipped focus, that is focus central.

Focus central cat eliminator pipe

PROS
The off road pipe for the zetec is quick and easy to swap, so it’s a good part for someone who wants to remove their stock cat for a day of racing. They are also fairly cheap in price.

CONS
An off road pipe on your focus will make it very loud. The gains when using an off road pipe are ok but nothing to brag about.

If you have a question about one of these parts or another related exhaust part, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at frzx3@yahoo.com

See less See more
#7 ·
Not ness. if you do not remove the stock cat.......Also if you do install a high flow it will register less than the hot senser so no reset is needed..As for the race pipe if you install the cheater you still do not have to reset the cpu...It will not go stupid if you don`t break something in the process..

#22 ·
no i dont have an aftermarket flex.. doesnt that cat come with it? looks like it.. not sure, lol

yeah i have gotten the egr before, not a problem.. i was just worried there wasnt a spot to put it on the new cat. cool there is. thanks alot.

i know how to get the cat off.. not hard at all..

nvm just found out that information..

that aftermarket cat is long.. i never realized that..

so next im off to get a flex pipe.. cool. thanks for your help man, i really appreciate it.

i wish i would have gotten a better look at your engine bay. so much going on i didnt get the chance to.

#25 ·
hey make sure that you put anti seize on all your eaxhaust bolts and oxygen sensors.

#26 ·
Re: whoa

socrates said:
i want to put in a high flow cat w/ my exhaust and shorty headers, so just unhook my battery and everything will be fine after the install? whats the deal focaltech? ive got a warranty on my car that i dont want to ruin too. [???:)]

[}:)]
Lemme get this straight...you HAVE mods on there...you WANT more...and you're worried about your warranty?[???:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.