Pesky p0304 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Dustyfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66100
What I Drive: 2006, Sonic Blue, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dustyfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pesky p0304

Hi, wondering if anyone could help me shine some light on this situation. Like the title says I've got a pesky misfire code. I'll breifly give you the entire history of the story because I feel it's important to what the problem actually is, I thank anyone in advance for their input.

Story:Throws code p0304, midfire on cyl 4. I want to replace the spark plugs first so I buy some new ones. As I'm taking them out I see that the engine has at some point getten wet and there was rust in cyls 2 and 3 tubes. however the plugs for 1 2 and 3 were largely just fine. #4 appeared black, as youd expect for a misfiring cylinder, however it also apeared to have liquid on the business end (the firing end), I thought it was oil uh-oh. So I wipe it off put everything back and take it to a tunex. They clean out the cylinder wells and replace all of my plugs. They reported seeing no sort of liquid on the 4th plug, and generally ignored my concern for that.

So the code comes back later and I remebered hearing from the dude at tunex that he thought my 4th coil was "running hot" and he expected it would need to be replaced, so I did. But I order one and did it myself, pretty easy. Code goes away within minutes

Car runs just fine however code comes back. I take it to the dealership this time and they run some tests, including checking power output from each of my cylinders, everything was running perfect (cylinders were in the same 2% in power output, and again no liquid on the plug) and according to them no misfire occured after testing. they try to clear the code but it doesn't go away, it remains stored. Apparently this is a known problem so they had to reprogrm the whole computer, after that just like before my car was running fine.

Until 3 weeks later, today. I notice a little more hesitation at speed on the highway, nothing serious but I noticed it. lo and behold a few miles down the interstate it throws a code, I haven't even checked it yet but it felt just like having the code before and I'd be willing to bet it'll be another p0304. It felt like it was misfiring but not bad. Idle is fine, and generally it runs just fine.

But there is a little something nagging at this cylinder, maybe there is something fouling my coil? I don't know. ha, I'm going to take it in but not until thursday, anybody have any suggestions for me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Dustyfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

bump
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
SVT_ME
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53618
What I Drive: '02 Ranger XLT- '08.5 MS3 GT

FF Reputation: 7 SVT_ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Plug wires... a slightly damaged or corroded wire will do it every time. Happened in my truck, popped 3 packs before I pulled my head out of my ass.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Djmike2485

Fan#: 3230
What I Drive: Silver 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 4 Dr.

FF Reputation: 6 Djmike2485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
x2 on the plug wires. I've had a cracked one that burned up my coil. They usually get bad when you disturb them to replace the plugs.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Dustyfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

these duratecs have an ignition coil over each plug so they don't really have "plug wires". But I think you guys might be on the right track with the wiring theory.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #6
ThatFocusAgain
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103779
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White ST

FF Reputation: 1 ThatFocusAgain Good Standing Member
My ST just developed this problem. I tried running a different fuel map due to studdering. The. P0304 popped up....can't really take mine in to ford. Down pipe cat delete, exhaust Cobb AP, Cobb turbo inlet tube matched up with FSwerks intake. And a tourque solutions rear motor mount.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.