2000 Focus: Intermittent Starting (and dying) Issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
jables18
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119641
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jables18 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 Focus: Intermittent Starting (and dying) Issue

Hello All-

I have a 2000 Focus...I was going to sell it to a buddy so I brought it to a mechanic to get a overall inspection. I had them replace a PCV valve that wouldn't stay attached...they just replaced the PCV hose with a stiffer one to keep it in place.

Here's where everything turns to a cluster fug. Keep in mind I've never had a starting issue in 2 years:

-Left the mechanic, drove a mile shut the car off
-Got back in 10 minutes later...wouldn't start...no clicks...no crank...battery seems fine
-10 minutes later it starts.
-Drove 20 miles and engine just cut out...no sputter just dead...still had power, radio etc.
-Tried re-starting, got nothing...wait 5 minutes, it starts but sputters out...this goes on for awhile
-Towed back to the mechanic...they replaced a leaking coolant hose...it was pretty low on coolant
-They couldn't find any codes for the starting/dying issue...they think its the computer...I think they bumped something when replacing the PCV hose
-Had it towed back home instead of paying $500 for a new computer that might may or may not be the issue... at home I noticed the Automatic Multi-Function Transaxle Cooling System light stays on every time it doesn't want to start
-The times it does start...I hear the fuel pump come on and the Transaxle light goes off

-I left it for a week...next time i tried to start it I realized that I left the Mass Airflow Sensor cable unplugged (all week) but it fired right up, drove it for a couple hours...started it and shut it off multiple times...everything seemed fine.

-Next day, it starts on the first try, drove it a mile, shut it off wouldn't start...noticed dashes across the odometer the times it doesn't start.
-Got it fired up drove half mile and died again
-Waited 10 minutes, starts, drive half mile and died again.

-Now it's sitting in my garage...it will always start on the first try if its been sitting a while.
-I'll let it run for a half hour, shut it off, try to re-start immediately and get nothing...Transaxle light comes on...dashes across the odometer.

Any ideas?!?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 133,118, Level 100
Points: 133,118, Level: 100 Points: 133,118, Level: 100 Points: 133,118, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 77%
Activity: 77% Activity: 77% Activity: 77%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Welcome to the forum

I moved your thread to the Technical Chat area, you'll get better help here.

You may want to check your ground wires as it sounds like your having bad connection somewhere. There is also a little wire on the ground side that if it comes off or makes a bad connection the car won't run.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119322
What I Drive: 2000 green SE, 2007 Kappa Speedster

Points 398, Level 7
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Bills86e Good Standing Member
Please elaborate on your "little wire" directive.

After all these years, still no absolute good answer. $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
jables18
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119641
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jables18 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the input Sleepyboy. The battery cables/connections all look good...I'll need to do some testing to check further.

Does anyone know if a bad or dirty Mass Airflow Sensor could cause it to completely loose power while driving? I would think a dirty one would cause it to sputter etc...

The longest run I got out of her was after the MAS was disconnected for a week?!?!

Sorry for sounding like a dummy...I have a little car knowledge but I'm completely lost when it comes to Sensors and Electrical stuff.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Bills86e
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119322
What I Drive: 2000 green SE, 2007 Kappa Speedster

Points 398, Level 7
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Bills86e Good Standing Member
If the sensors are dirty they send the wrong info to the powertrain control module (ECM) and it will send an incorrect fuel mixture message to the injectors. This results in bad gas mileage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.