Focus Fanatics Forum banner

intake manifold butterfly flap issues

40K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  ronj100 
#1 ·
I did some research on the dtec focus about compression ratios and came across an article that stated that there is a major fault in the materials of the plastic manifold. Apparently the butterfly flaps will eventually break out and get sucked into the motor and destroy the motor. Was wondering if anyone has had this issue. I am trying to find a way to stick this issue on Ford if this is a known problem on our motors. Mazda had the same issue with the manifold on their Mazda 3. Yet Mazda and Ford shared the same technology on these motors which included the manifold and Mazda put a recall out for it but Ford won't. If you had this issue let's hear what you have to say about it.

#2 ·
ive had something quite similar in a way, on the passenger side of the manifold there was a small plastic cap holding the rod in place, long story short cap fell out causing air leak. went to the dealer for replacement and the new one ended up not having those flaps. not sure if it is because of the flaps coming loose and causing failure.

#3 ·
These flaps I am talking about are inside each runner of the intake manifold. You can't visually see them one bit. These flaps control your air/fuel ratio. Dealer says I have to buy the whole intake manifold assembly in order to fix this small problem. I don't see the need of replacing the manifold if these flaps were designed to be removed if damaged. This tells me they knew about the problem with the cheapness of the manifold. I believe its just their way of trying to make more money off these cheaply made cars.

#6 ·
Both the 20 & 23 use imrc= aka Tumble flaps. The 23 also has imrc similar to SVT's, but is vacum controlled instead of electric motor controlled as SVT's. The only manifold that doesn't have tumble flaps are the escape manifolds. Why I have no idea. There are threads all 'bout this, hit up the search. Lots & lots of great info.[thumb]

#8 ·
i didnt see tumble flaps in my 2.0L.. they different then the 2.3L?

are some 2.0L different? ::NVM:: EDIT**

I looked up what you told me not to long ago..

The 23 has imtv= intake manifold tuning valve. Wheres the 20's only have imrc= intake manifold runner control- aka tumble flaps. It would be a lot easier for you since your going to change out the manifold anyhow w/ the cossie style, to leave it the way it is now. You would have to figure out how & where to hook up the imtv system & w/ that you'd need a tune, since the 20's don't have imtv's. A tune for that would probably cost you more than one for the cossie style manifold. I'd put your cashola else where= like a torsen or CFM's lower control arms, a set of cams, etc. Your cars got to run pretty strong now, huh.

Does the OP have a 2.3L or 2.0L? since he owns a 2007 Focus SE I will assume a 2.0L ?

and to the OP, if you seriously need to repair the intake I would buy the intake off ebay for $230 if you have a turbo tom tune...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-FOCUS-DURATEC-2-3L-2-3-UPGRADE-PERFORMANCE-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-PLENUM-/280951939887?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AFocus&hash=item416a0a632f&vxp=mtr

#9 ·
You can remove the flaps and have your car tuned to run without them. I had that done in my 06 Mustang GT (see CMDP plates, charge motion delete plates)

The 2.0 has the tumble flaps and there was a change between 06 to 07 in the factory tune of them that actually bumped up the mpg in 07.

#10 ·
I 2nd that ^^^^. Runs better w/o them. For the Mustangs you can buy oem charge motion plates w/o the flaps or you can get alloy plates, then you'd need a tune.

#15 ·
the mazda guys delete these on a normal basis. and even on the stock tune runs just fine. they have to do with the cold idle more then anything else in all truth. you do see a little gain in the top end from removing them. low and mid range is unchanged.

also the mazda 2.0's dont have them, but the mazda 2.3's do. id assume the ford counter parts are the same.

#21 ·
Yeah... 2.0's have the tumble flaps.. I had an 07 ZX3 SES and the flaps went bad... fortunately it just threw a lot of bits of plastic and not any metal.. dealer cleaned it all out and replaced with another manifold. Ran fine after that. I even got a nice little bump in MPG. I think IMRC's help with low end throttle response and MPG... that is what they are designed for.... so for around town.. they do what they are supposed to do.. but they aren't reliable in the long run. If you keep the car long enough.. you will replace them again and that was one of the 2 reasons I got rid of my 07. The IMRC were deleted in later model Focus's my 09 does not have them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.