Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing)

164K views 560 replies 116 participants last post by  devanmc 
#1 · (Edited)
Items you need for the install on your 2012 (If you purchase cancellors or anything else YOU THINK might work your going to waste your time and everyone elses asking why their not lit so follow my instructions)

Resistors http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html

Relay Harnesshttp://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?HID_relay_wiring_harness-pid582.html

An H11 35w or greater HID Kit (Same for Foglamps but they dont require anything but the HID kit since they are not monitored by the computer)

Heres some pictures of them Installed going down the road.
While Driving

Behind a Car

Side of Car

Notice this FACTORY PT Cruiser with More light on the Bumper then My car on the Honda in the Previous Picture.

Notice Little to no Glare on the Sign and how sharply the Lights Cut off. (Not a Super Sharp Cutoff but very very Noticable)

On my Private Road.

Highbeams on, Notice you can see a Sign now and before you couldnt.
The Highbeams allow you to see further but not as bright at that distance as an HID Highbeam would be.

During the Day

Enjoy and Please If your not here to contribute anything to this thread do not comment on their legality.

Opinions on how they look are welcome and if their offensive or possible arguement starter I will have them removed.
[cheers]

See less See more
#388 ·
I went with the resistors from retro solutions. They work great! I still get the error but the lights come on no problem and the code goes away after 5 seconds. I can also get you a 10% discount from them if you want to pm me for the code.

#394 ·
Hi people!, i recently bought one pair of that chinese ST3 replicas and came with HID and cancellers. The thing is that not always works, and the left light turns off and bulb error message, but when i was running like 10 mints then the lights work properly. I changed the ballast and cancellers left to right and then the right side turns sometimes off. What do you think cuold be? may i changed the ballast for other better quality? o maybe the canceller is not working properly?

thanks!

#397 ·
I don't have a mk3 but I put some HIDs on my mazda 6. Its my first ever HID kit and was worth the money, and easy to install.

I got 35w 8000k to be honest I would recommend not going higher than 6000k although the 8k is very nice the light output is much brighter with 6k. The 8k is much better than my factory H1s but on really dark country roads I have to drive with high beams. On the interstate the 8k are great and light up all the signs and lines perfect. In town you can really see them on the road but they still light up anything that reflects.

Luckily my factory set up has both the high and low beams on at the same time so its nice and bright. Plus I don't have to wait for the low beams to warm up when I switch back.

The kit I went with is from hidextra.com and was a complete plug and play. All that was required was to drill and hole in the back cover and to find a place to mount the ballast. Which on the mazda 6 there is a place on the bottom of the housing perfect for that kind like mazda thought that out when designing the headlights.

The hidextra kit comes with a 1 year warranty and has great customer service.

I get get some inside shots on different roads, and stuff if you would like to see more.

#398 ·
With that said, the best kits on the market and your gonna pay for them.

Theretrofitsource.com the mazda guys and the reviews on line will swear by them. I would love to upgrade to the TRS kit when I decide to go with 6000k most liky once my kit needs replaced eventually.

#399 ·
Hello everyone, I´ve got my kit fro retro, bulbs, relay, resistors and ballast, but i tried to follow all your pics and instructions but i´ve got some issues:
- DRL driver side is always 100% running, and de xenon bulb dont works...
- The resistor are getting really hot, and smells LOL

i will try again to reinstall all, but...

and one important and weird question:
can someone tell me for what and why the kit includes that small black box???? :/

THANKS!!!!

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/p7xj.jpg/]

#400 ·
Hello everyone, I´ve got my kit fro retro, bulbs, relay, resistors and ballast, but i tried to follow all your pics and instructions but i´ve got some issues:
- DRL driver side is always 100% running, and de xenon bulb dont works...
- The resistor are getting really hot, and smells LOL

i will try again to reinstall all, but...

and one important and weird question:
can someone tell me for what and why the kit includes that small black box???? :/

THANKS!!!!
Looks as if it's a relay to me.

#407 ·
The two kits kits I've had on my Mazda, both where plug and play. But I ordered the relay kit the second time around to see how it played out.

Anyway both kits all you had to do was put the bulb in plug the positive and ground wires in, drill a hole in the dust cap to run the ballast wires. Simply plug bulb into the ballast, plug housing back into the regular plug. Turn headlights on/ off as normal. With the relay kit they work the same, except if I was to forget to shut my lights off they will stay on, but as long as the switch is off then they shut off.

Ddmtuning.com is where I got them from.

#410 ·
I'll ask this. Probably been answered already.

If 35w ballasts and the relays still produce the bulb out warning but the hids work, will a 55w kit eliminate the bulb out warning and work with the relay?

I'm looking for a viable option that will let me use HIDs without any on dash warning

#412 ·
Sooooo..... Finally figured out why my kit never worked from the get go. I haven't tried installing them since soon after I bought the car. I didn't know at first, before retro solutions offered the custom MK3 harness kit, that I needed two resistors. I only had one so I kept getting the bulb out warning.

Second resistor is on its way.

#413 ·
Does TRS offer a harness that will actually work for the MK3 now? I thought you would still need the resistors for it to work properly...

#417 ·
So mine come on for about 5 secs. I ordered my kit from simplyhidkits.com seems to have come with everything but I get the dipped beam fault. Took out what I believe to be the resistors and still get the same error. What places in ny would be able to help me with the hook up of my hid kits?

#418 ·
Question, I couldn't find anyone saying or answering another question like this...

What fuse are you using for the relay harness? My power wire from the battery has a fuse about 4 inches from the connect and has a box containing said fuse. The fuse in the box recently melted the top of the fuse (plastic) but the fuse itself wasn't "popped", the box was totally intact..and nothing wrong with the box.

The fuse was a 25amp and now I've put a 30amp in for now and they seem to be OK. Going to test the current tomorrow after work. Just need something to get there.

In all: just what you guys/girls are using for a fuse in your relay harness.. thanks guys/girls!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.