Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Pungo Airfield Autocross, Va Beach, VA

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SpeedOften 
#1 ·
I don't have any results yet b/c they had to do some editing due to people taking off and not working but my fastest clean run of hte day was a 47.163 on my 3rd run - also my only clean run[:(]
First run 48.018 w/ 2 cones
2nd run 46.811 w/ 1 cone
4th run 46.634 w/ 1 cone

Yes the smoke in this first pic is actually from my tires...[:D]

see if this works:

[:D]

See less See more
#4 ·
You must've been having some heavy understeer in that last big photo, just by the angle of those front tires.

More importantly, how did you feel about those runs? Did you leave feeling like you left time on the table, or feeling pretty good about it?

#7 ·
Carrera26 said:
You must've been having some heavy understeer in that last big photo, just by the angle of those front tires.

More importantly, how did you feel about those runs? Did you leave feeling like you left time on the table, or feeling pretty good about it?
yeah I did have some heavy understear... I was trying to go a little tooo fast for that turn. My third run was the smoothest, I let off in one or two spots where in the other runs I was still in the throttle so I think that is why I kept hitting the second cone of the center slalom. I"m still trying to decide whether to stay in first or continue shifting into second on a lot of these courses.

What do you recommend?

I would shift into second for the last 2.5 sets of cones in the first and last slaloms b/c I'd be hitting the limiter before I reached the 3rd to last, and I have a raised limiter at 7600rpms with Waynes tune...[paranoid]

#9 ·
focusedintentions, if you wait that long, you'll just get excited right when it's shutting down for the winter...

speedoften I typically leave it in 1st gear, but our courses tend to be pretty tight and technical... Often it's best to just stick it in 2nd and leave it there, as it will help encourage you to concentrate on maintaining momentum rather than acceleration. And the Focus is definitely a momentum car. Definitely try to keep looking well ahead, then you won't get into those situations where you all of a sudden need a bunch of steering lock to get turned in. You'll see it coming a long way off and automatically adjust your entry speed before it's too late. And if you get through there without the understeer, even if you enter a few MPH slower, you'll save tons of time because you maintained your speed and momentum through the corner.

#10 ·
Carrera26 said:
focusedintentions, if you wait that long, you'll just get excited right when it's shutting down for the winter...

speedoften I typically leave it in 1st gear, but our courses tend to be pretty tight and technical... Often it's best to just stick it in 2nd and leave it there, as it will help encourage you to concentrate on maintaining momentum rather than acceleration. And the Focus is definitely a momentum car. Definitely try to keep looking well ahead, then you won't get into those situations where you all of a sudden need a bunch of steering lock to get turned in. You'll see it coming a long way off and automatically adjust your entry speed before it's too late. And if you get through there without the understeer, even if you enter a few MPH slower, you'll save tons of time because you maintained your speed and momentum through the corner.

Thanks.. I'll definitely try and leave it in 2nd... I ended up placing 5th in Novice BUT I would have placed 3rd if I ran STS so... I'm not sure if I want to run STS yet b/c there's still more competition in Novice lol... oh well..[confused] The results...

and Focusedintentions doens't have to worry about it shutting down.. We have a winter series down here in Virginia w/ one autocross a month for each club : Old Dominion SCCA, Beachcombers Vette club and Tidewater Sportcar club.. ..[thumb] [:D]

Makes you want to move huh???[:)~] [paranoid]

#11 ·
[and Focusedintentions doens't have to worry about it shutting down.. We have a winter series down here in Virginia w/ one autocross a month for each club : Old Dominion SCCA, Beachcombers Vette club and Tidewater Sportcar club.. ..[thumb] [:D]

Makes you want to move huh???[:)~] [paranoid]
Mostly that sort of thing just makes me want to cuss...[mad] Stupid winter... It's been too warm for us to do our snow 'n ice events too. I get some hardcore withdrawal come November...

#12 ·
That is one of the things I miss about being stationed in Norfolk. Between all the events at Pungo and TSCC events at ACU-4 (probably one of the best places to autocross on the east coast) it was easy to get my autocross addiction filled.
Do they still have all that junk at the far end of the field? During the 2004 winter series my brother lost it for a second and almost hit that big coveryor someone dumped their.

#13 ·
dubalicious said:
That is one of the things I miss about being stationed in Norfolk. Between all the events at Pungo and TSCC events at ACU-4 (probably one of the best places to autocross on the east coast) it was easy to get my autocross addiction filled.
Do they still have all that junk at the far end of the field? During the 2004 winter series my brother lost it for a second and almost hit that big coveryor someone dumped their.
yeah the conveyer is still there.. there's some other stuff on the other end too just off the concrete.. We had to change the course b/c of it - minimum distance between the outer cones and a hard object is 50ft when someone is racing a cart...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.