Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ford Escape

13K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  CourtneyNYC 
#1 ·
I'm not an SUV person, but the new 2013 Escapes are pretty sharp. Of course it's really more crossover than SUV since it uses a modified Focus chassis. Even looks like a Focus in it's exterior and interior design cues. The steering wheel and the gauge cluster to name a few is the same as the Focus. One color I really like is the green called Ginger ale. When I was vacationing in California in June, a guy at the hotel had a Escape rental in that color. The brochures and Fords website do not do the color justice as neither have the shade correctly as it looks in reality. If this color would've been available on the Focus, I would've chose it. Kinda ironic too that the 1.6L ecoboost is available in the escape but not on the Focus. Whats up with that Ford?

#44 ·
^you gotta quote who you are taking about dude

#46 ·
Local Ford dealer has a black SEL on the lot and took a look Sunday. Like the looks and appears a bit bigger in the back. Though I do not understand why they put car tires on it (Continentals) same as on the Focus. Very slippery on light snow as found out last February.

#47 ·
They put car tires on it because its a car, the main unibody is similar to that of the Focus, as its based on the same C-car design, albeit tweaked into a CUV like the European Kuga which is basically what the new Escape is intended to be, more of a CUV and a soft roader than a rough and tumble looking SUV like the boxier old version.

#58 ·
WOW did not expect so much reaction (Thanks KAM). My thoughts were primarily due to nasty weather. Light truck/SUV tires tend to be much better in snow and ice conditions which is often the primary reason people I have talked to choose CUVs over station wagons or sedans.

The Escape I was considering has AWD and the new 2.0 turbo. Yet with poor winter performance tires negates most of the AWD advantages. I have also noticed the Continetals are not very good in rain either (at least with the Foci I own).

Will be swapping them out with Firestone Precision Touring as many owners rate these well in light snow/ice conditions.

I live in central Indiana, not a lot of snow but ice storms and sleet events are common.

#59 ·
or you can just buy snow tires. AWD doesnt help you stop i nthe snow anyways, so you'd be just as bad as all the other 2wd cars in the snow on all season tires.

#61 ·
>>>I think the only ones they ever sold were the ones that they gave away to a few people on Survivior.

Might want to fact check that.

#63 ·
As nice as that would be it would probably push it out of my price range. It will be interesting to see what they do with the body.

#67 ·
You can compare it to the new BMW X1 that is slated to be released this fall. It starts at about the same level as the base Titanium but even for a BMW its not very well equipped. I would imagine the Lincoln version would be very well equipped as a base model starting at about the Titanium level.

Well Ford started the Sport lineup

• Fusion Sport
  • Edge Sport
  • Explorer Sport
  • Escape Sport???

I'm hoping my Fusion Sport gets a 2.7L EB for 2014 when lease is up that will put 300 HP.
I remember when the "sport" trim was typically stripped. [gunfire]

#69 ·
I noticed that the local dealer had a Titanium precisely like the one I've got ordered. Went and sat in it today and am getting more excited about getting mine.

The 2.0 Eco-Boost will be plenty and, ordered with every available option, it'll do just fine. I've no interest, even if Lincoln did make it.

I was thrilled with the Focus I bought 11 months ago . . which will be sold in the next week or two . . and expect to be thrilled with the Focus.

It looks like Ford his this one out of the park.

#70 ·
Well . . .the 2012 Focus Titanium, with 29,400 miles in 13 months, is gone and the 2013 Escape Titanium has 1,435 miles on it in the first 36 hours.

Bottom line . . . I'm thrilled.

The Focus was starting to show the signs of the "confused DCT transmission" ailment and the incessant "clunking" under the drivers floorboard.

The Escape, with the 2.0L Eco-Boost rocket motor . . . is amazing. Goes like a scaled dog, has the factory HID lights, cornering lights, AWD, BLIS and tons of interior room.

I took many backroads as I drove it from Topeka, KS to NYC . . . and the headlights are as good as those on the Mercedes-Benz . . . . these babes light the entire world ahead.

No regrets with the 2012, it was a fabulous car. The ST I'd ordered was sitting at the dealer and looked great as well. I still have, and will keep the 2010 Focus as a spare . . it's a spectacular car and incredibly cheap to operate.

But . . . my initial impression is that I'm really pleased with the 2013 Escape, No, it won't quite perform with the ST but the Escape is precisely what I need.

Thanks to all for the info while I was waiting for delivery.

#71 ·
Wow, what do you do that you dive so much? We have had our Escape for exactly 1 month and only have 550 miles on it.

#72 ·
I drive a lot and enjoy driving. . . .

My"day job" is overseeing construction in the 5 boros of New York City and Westchester County so I am constantly on the move. In addition, I am a Professor at Columbia University and, quite unusual in Manhattan, drive to campus and park. I also am involved in AMA Superbike racing and often drive from NYC to various tracks.

I live in NYC and bought the car in Topeka, KS so I got to spend 23 hours driving the first day I bought it.

Impressed.

Arrived at power plant construction site this morning and the 2013 Escape is getting a LOT of attention from the crews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.