Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear

51K views 131 replies 33 participants last post by  hound 
#1 ·
Hi all,

About ~250 km ago, I had the 12B37 update applied. I noticed right away that the transmission was working much better than before: Smooth shifting, lower noise, etc.

However, just today, during some traffic on an uphill slope, the engine started to shake rather violently. Once the road flattened out, it sort of smoothed-out again; the car now just slightly rumbles whenever shifting to/from 1st gear.

Any feedback? I'm not sure if I should wait it out and hope for this to pass within the next few hundred km, or take it back to the dealership (which would be a big inconvenience to me). I just find it rather odd that it was working properly right after the update.

Thanks.

#129 ·
^^ My rundown was intended to be informational. What I have stated are just the facts to the best of my recollection. I can count on one hand how many times this has occurred. I just haven't been able to reproduce the behavior at will - yet. I am confident that the issue will get fixed once the root cause of the problem is found. Until a root cause is found, people are going to waste a lot of time chasing symptoms. When there are no error codes being thrown, the next best course of action is to compile a list of the conditions under which the symptoms occur and try to infer what's going on from that.

I'd like nothing better than it to be something simple. But I just don't see how my transmission's behavior could be caused leaking transmission seals contaminating the clutch. If that were the case, I would expect this behavior to occur through a wide range of speed, RPMs, and my foot pressure on the accelerator. In my experience, that is not the case. The behavior has only occurred when road and traffic conditions have forced me to have a feather-light touch on the accelerator at very low speeds (under 10MPH).

#130 ·
But that's exactly what I'm saying. Every time I've gone to the dealership about this issue and tell them when it happens they just ignore it. They say "This is how it's supposed to drive" and ignore everything beyond that point.

The issue occurs mainly from 1-10mph, almost always from a stop, and almost always in first gear. Some of it is definitely clutch wear (I can feel a worn clutch), and some of it feels like the TCS. My guess is the clutch wear is for some reason registering as an issue with traction and the TCS is taking over to fix the issue. Who knows if that's the truth, but it would explain why turning off the TCS fixed the issue for most people for awhile.

But then it came back.

#132 ·
Well it was fixed after the reflash for around a month. It was jerking half way threw first gear.now it jerks in first and slips like crazy in third under light eceleration.darn it ....it was perfect there for awhile.geuss it'll be back again......and again .....and again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.