Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission Shaking To/From 1st Gear

51K views 131 replies 33 participants last post by  hound 
#1 ·
Hi all,

About ~250 km ago, I had the 12B37 update applied. I noticed right away that the transmission was working much better than before: Smooth shifting, lower noise, etc.

However, just today, during some traffic on an uphill slope, the engine started to shake rather violently. Once the road flattened out, it sort of smoothed-out again; the car now just slightly rumbles whenever shifting to/from 1st gear.

Any feedback? I'm not sure if I should wait it out and hope for this to pass within the next few hundred km, or take it back to the dealership (which would be a big inconvenience to me). I just find it rather odd that it was working properly right after the update.

Thanks.

#79 ·
I didn't have a single problem with this until after the TSB. The day I got home after getting the TSB it was shuddering while I was pulling into the garage (foot only on the brake). It did that every time I pulled into the garage, and then a few weeks later (around 2) it started doing it on takeoff. Every single time I put my foot on the gas to pull away from a stop it shudders, and it's horribly annoying and makes the car feel like junk to anyone in it.

I don't drive into the garage in a weird way...I pull in with the gas until I'm close, then just ease it in with my foot on the brake (no more gas). We're talking like 5-10 seconds total from breaking the plane of the door to putting it in park. This problem most likely stemmed from the TSB update.

#80 ·
To update you all, ~1,500 km's after the battery pull, and my car is 90% smooth when shifting now. The odd time, there's a slight stutter, but overall, I'm satisfied. To close, that annoying grinding/ratting is almost completely gone as well. And yes, it is still smooth well after the tranny is "warmed" up.

I suggest you all try the battery pull, along with some patience. Though, just be prepared to re-program you auto windows (a mere 1 minute task).

#81 · (Edited)
Watch the video!

I was finally was able to take a video of my transmission grinding with a better camera than the one on my phone. I have 33k miles, so the car is definitely broken in. The transmission has never really felt awesome, it vibrates at idle occasionally (not too badly and not always). This noise is worse when accelerating slowly going uphill, but depends on the day. Sometimes it does it every time, but only gears 1-3, I've never heard it past 4. Last time I took it in they said "That's just how these transmissions work", but that was like 9 months ago before the Ford dealership had any experience with these transmissions. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbICjK999o&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: FYI, this was taken on some urban streets in Milwaukee with the windows down, so some of the noise is wind and crappy pavement, but the transmission noise is pretty evident.

Other videos out there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_3_qF2xhQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_VGo7ws6k&list=UUSfsl0l6BG7T6VTxTLP5hPw&index=1&feature=plcp

#82 ·
Add me to the list of people having shuddering problems. Mine started about a week ago at about 19000 miles, same conditions as everyone else has described. First gear, warm transmission etc. I am going to make an appointment to bring it in to my dealer, does anyone know is there an official name or TSB for this problem? I like going in there with facts.

Thanks

#84 ·
... does anyone know is there an official name or TSB for this problem? I like going in there with facts.
I'll PM you with what I know. I don't want Ford corporate getting mad at me. :b

#85 ·
Hey folks!

This is just a reminder that I can assist by escalating to your region's Customer Service Manager if your vehicle is exhibiting these symptoms. Just send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer and a daytime contact number and I'll get to work!

Thanks! [giddy]
-Crystal

#87 ·
Took mine in they said Ford told them it was normal..... They didnt do anything about it. Called my CSM, they never called me back. Very disappointed. Car is up for sale. Possibly trading it in this week.

#88 ·
So I brought my car in to the dealer this morning to have them look at the problem. I got a call back this afternoon saying they took it for a drive and could not reproduce the problem. BULLSHIT. They said they checked for leaks and connected it to their diagnostic computers and it looked fine. They said if the problem gets worse of if I can reproduce the issue to bring it back and take them out to show them. So now I need to wait for the problem to get worse and hope it doesn't shred my transmission.

I am waiting on a call back from my ford customer service rep, this is unacceptable.

#89 ·
Good luck. many of us have had the same issues and took it in to get the same "normal operation" BS they are told to tell us. Called Ford and basically got the run around. I never got a call back and had to call several times to get someone. Once I did it was worthless. You have an uphill battle before you. Good luck. [:(]

#96 ·
So, I took mine in for the shaking and thud noises when making left/right turns. Dealer told me there is a small Tranny leak with fluid hitting the clutch. TSB 11-12-13 maybe? They didn't tell me, but, I am guessing. They ordered parts and I'm bringing it back next week. My question..anyone have this TSB done and did it really fix the problem? I am skeptical. Also, I noticed my MPG/trip reset along with my Sirius set to preview channel. This makes me think they reflashed it or disconnected the battery. Still driving lousy though if they did. I can't wait until next week to see if they really fix this.

#99 ·
Same thing here - was told there was a seal on the transmission that has gone bad, and the seal + the whole clutch assembly is going to get replaced. The tech said that he has done about 6 of these in the past 2 months, and has also had to replace an entire transmission on a couple.

I'll post back after the work gets done next week and let everyone know what the result is.

#97 · (Edited)
Mine started doing this intermittantly in the last week or two. I have about 13.5K on it. Always at low speed, and low acceleration. It may be a coincidence, but it started right after the post-summer-vacation traffic got heavier, and I'm now sitting in more stop and go traffic on my 34mi commute to work. Being a long time manual tranny driver, it acts just like the car is in the wrong gear (too high) at low speed and is about to stall out. I'll call my dealership next week, but I'm not sure what they'll be able to do without it consistantly occuring.

9/24/12 Edit
Over the weekend I did the battery reset and drive cycle immediately afterwards. We'll see if it changes anything...

#98 ·
Hey there, FrostedG,

I want to escalate your concern to your regional Customer Service Manager. They'll get in touch with your dealer and ensure that all of your concerns are addressed. Send me a PM with your VIN, estimated mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and a daytime phone number; I'll get to work. [8D]

Thanks,
-Crystal

#103 ·
Nope. I'm at 34.5k miles (which is why I wanted to get the IA issues fixed before my 36k miles ended) but powertrain has the 5 year / 60k mile (I think) warranty. I also have a 6 year / 125k extended warranty but there’s a $50 deductible.

Can you not file a lemon law claim? If your car is a total POS I would contact an attorney.
Ugh. I don't have the time/patience/money for that. I mean, the car still drives but I can tell the clutches are getting progressively worse (I can hear chattering when shifting to 4th gear now) but until the thing breaks apart and ruins my transmission, there's not much I can do.

#105 ·
Like I said, I brought it in yesterday when it was acting up, but the techs had left at 4:30pm so when I brought it in this morning it was cold out and I only tried twice to replicate it (in the parking lot) before I gave up and was like "Well, I need to go to work." Note: They still have the car, I stole my roommate's.

I can try again later this week but it doesn't help when I'm busy for 11 hours a day M-F (I have 2 hours of commute every day).

EDIT: I'll also be taking off the splash shield and checking for that transmission fluid leak and if I do find it I'll be taking it right back and asking why no one checked for it when there's clearly a TSB out for it.

#111 ·
Update..sort of:
I dropped mine off at 7:30 this am to have what I believe is tsb 11-12-13 done. They gave me loaner. Waited all day..no call. Stopped by the dealer on my way home and asked for status. 5 min go by and then a tech comes out and says "I see your car on the lift with the Tranny out..Looks like they are working on the clutch. We have had a bunch of these come in the last few weeks with the same issue. Yours was started late today (I dropped off at 7:30..how is that possible?)..should be ready tomorrow".
So, hopefully, it will be ready tomorrow and I will post update as to how it is driving.
Damian

#112 ·
Its possible because they picked all the other cars to start with first rather than just on when your car arrived. I don't know if you had the first appointment, but that just means you get to drop the car off, but has little to do with when they actually start looking at it or working on it.

At least they are taking your issues seriously and attempting to fix it.

#115 · (Edited)
I checked under my car last night - I didn't really see a leaking (outer) seal issue so I'm just going to grin and bear this noise until winter is over and the car starts acting up again in the hot weather.

#117 ·
Update:
I got a call at 4PM today..my car is done. I picked it up and the paperwork didn't mention TSB, but, it said 'Replaced inner and outer transmission input seals and clutch assembly'. I took a few short drives tonight. I am happy to report the car is driving better. No shudder/shaking. No 'thud' when making turns. Still get a little vibration in the seat at stop lights, but, that is better than it was. I'll be driving more Sunday and should get a better idea if the problem is really gone, but, so far so good!

#119 ·
Well after 2000 or so miles the seals are out again. I have owned fords all of my life and have never had the trouble this car has had. My wife drives a 08 galant 150k miles no problems, buddy has a Cruze bought 1 year before mine no problems. I have had this car for 4 months, 2 clutches, new struts, and new windshield. At this rate ford will replace the whole car by the time the warr. is up.

#125 · (Edited)
Well after 2000 or so miles the seals are out again. I have owned fords all of my life and have never had the trouble this car has had. My wife drives a 08 galant 150k miles no problems, buddy has a Cruze bought 1 year before mine no problems. I have had this car for 4 months, 2 clutches, new struts, and new windshield...
...Bad news: Dealer had car for four days and did not do anything about clunking front driver side strut. When I asked service advisor why, he said, "Well, I just got back from vacation, let me see . . . ." Then proceeded to say that they thought the clunking sound I mentioned was from the trans and shifting. I pointed out my note when I scheduled the appt. online specifically said it was coming from the strut...
Hi blwilson103 and tigertiger,

I'm happy to step in and assist; send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number. I'll get your regional Customer Service Managers involved so they can work on a resolution for your concerns.

I mentioned the issue to my dealer a couple days ago and they said that this is a known issue with no official fix yet. I don't buy it. I'll be bringing TSB 11-12-13 to their attention on my next visit; too bad I didn't know about it then...
Hi BPEW584,

I would advise that you get in touch with the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre. They'll be in the best position to assist you. You can reach them at 1-800-565-3673.

Thanks,
Crystal

#120 ·
Got my wife's car back from dealer today. Car was also having shaking when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Good news: It's like driving a new car. NO shuddering while creeping forward at stop lights or in traffic, smooth shifts and take offs from a stop. Granted, it's only been one day, but what a difference.

As I posted in another thread, they said a seal was broken leaking trans fluid. They replaced the seals and clutch. Here's the exact wording from invoice:
Test drove verified customer concern, EEC tested KOEO pass KOER pass, monitored pids while driving found clutch to slip, inspected found trans fluid leak, checked oasis for TSB and SSM found TSB 11-12-13 to apply, inspected fluid found fluid slick, R-I trans as per shop manual, R-R both inner input shaft seals as per TSB and shop manual, R-R clutch as per shop manual, R-R both axle seals as per shop manual, reinstalled trans, filled trans fluid to proper level as per shop manual, reassembled vehicle, performed trans adaptive learning as per shop manual, performed trans drive cycle, after repair, test drove.

I hope this tech knew what he was doing.

Bad news: Dealer had car for four days and did not do anything about clunking front driver side strut. When I asked service advisor why, he said, "Well, I just got back from vacation, let me see . . . ." Then proceeded to say that they thought the clunking sound I mentioned was from the trans and shifting. I pointed out my note when I scheduled the appt. online specifically said it was coming from the strut. He again said he was on vacation and couldn't give me anymore info. So, I will need to bring it back soon.

I would suggest anyone having shuddering and/or rough shifting issues to have seals and clutch checked.

#121 ·
Test drove verified customer concern,
What concern did you tell them? The biggest problem everyone has here is getting a service dept to agree there is an actual problem to begin an investigation. They typically just check for codes and drive it around the block, if nothing is there, they move on. If I go in there and say check my seals they won't do it just for fun.

#122 ·
I mentioned the issue to my dealer a couple days ago and they said that this is a known issue with no official fix yet. I don't buy it. I'll be bringing TSB 11-12-13 to their attention on my next visit; too bad I didn't know about it then.

To add, my driver side door is creaking, and they have yet to fix the issue... Two visits later. This dealership is a joke.

I find it frustrating that these "service" departments don't apply TSBs as they are released. You've got to make a fuss about something for them to do what they're paid to do.

All of these issues are simply down to people not paying enough care while at work.

#123 ·
I find it frustrating that these "service" departments don't apply TSBs as they are released. You've got to make a fuss about something for them to do what they're paid to do.
I agree... I mean, it's (kind of) unreasonable to expect them to apply to TSBs to every car seeing that it's not a recall. But when you come in with an issue and it's still not resolved (e.g. my intermittent IA unlocking issues that they couldn't replicate so they didn't update the BCM) - that's what pisses me off. The best part is when I picked up my keys after dropping it off, I had to pull on the handle like 6 or 7 times until it unlocked.

#126 ·
This is a follow up to my post (#97) on page 9 of this thread. Crystal asked me to follow up, but I thought others may benefit. I had my Focus at the dealer on 10/1. They redid the 12B37 update, and checked a couple other items on the work order that I couldn't decipher. I really didn't notice any difference, but like I said before - this issue was very intermittent. Well I had another instance of the transmission shaking this morning. But the conditions under which it happens are starting to come together.

I was on my way to work on a particularly horrible traffic day. I was on the road for an hour when the shaking happened, and at least 30 minutes of that was stop and go traffic. It started when I was on a slight up incline and traffic was stop-and-creep (always under 10 MPH). Because of the slight incline, I wasn't able to let off the brake and just let the car creep forward. I had to put my foot on the accelerator ever so slightly to move up. After a few minutes of these conditions, the shaking started. Accompanying the shaking was the transmission making a repetitive click-click-click-click noise, which I was only able to hear because the radio was turned way down. I'm used to hearing the click when the car upshifts or downshifts, but it's always a single click as it moves from one gear to the next. As soon as I was able to be a little bit heavier on the accelerator, it straightened right out. Other environmental conditions at the time were as follows:
- Weather was in the mid-50's F with off and on drizzle.
- HVAC was on mid-temp with combination windshield defroster and floor vents. Fan speed was on 1.
- Traction control was turned on
- Radio was at a volume of 2
- Headlights were on automatic, but not illuminated at the time.
- My ride is a stock SFE

I tried to reproduce the exact conditions, but was unable to. By the time I got to a spot with a slight incline and no traffic, the car had been moving at normal highway speeds for at least 20 minutes. I'm starting to see a pattern of this being highly conditional for me. Every time it's happened, the car has been operating for at least 45 minutes with stop-and-go traffic in the minutes prior. I have been in a situation where I'm at very low speed (under 10mph) with a feather-light touch on the accelerator. Once the shaking starts, if I retain the feather-light touch on the accelerator, then the shaking continues. If I back off the accelerator and coast, or give the car a little more gas, it straightens out immediately.

I do not recall having this issue prior to the first 12B37 update in July. I did notice after the update the transmission seemed to take longer to make up its mind what gear it wanted to be in. Before the update the shifts seemed crisper.

I've been following the Traction Control Thread HERE, and have tried turning it off. With the T.C. off, the shifts seem crisper. It's subtle, but I notice it. The odd thing is the crispness seems to disappear the longer I drive. I know this last point is purely subjective. I have no way of telling if it's really different, or I just get used to it. For now, I'm going to get in the habit of turning the T.C. off, and hope the driving conditions occur again.

#127 ·
It started when I was on a slight up incline and traffic was stop-and-creep (always under 10 MPH). Because of the slight incline, I wasn't able to let off the brake and just let the car creep forward. I had to put my foot on the accelerator ever so slightly to move up. After a few minutes of these conditions, the shaking started. Accompanying the shaking was the transmission making a repetitive click-click-click-click noise, which I was only able to hear because the radio was turned way down. I'm used to hearing the click when the car upshifts or downshifts, but it's always a single click as it moves from one gear to the next. As soon as I was able to be a little bit heavier on the accelerator, it straightened right out.
Welcome to the club! I believe you also have the leaking transmission seals contaminating the clutch... (TSB 11-12-13)

Unfortunately, I haven't found the right person's d I have to s in order to get my car fixed yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.