Focus Fanatics Forum banner

sporadic's Turbo Duratec build thread

105K views 276 replies 56 participants last post by  Jadenbanks48 
#1 · (Edited)
For 9 months now I've been gathering parts and doing research in preparation for this build.
Everyone is welcome to ask questions or make comments!
This is my first dealing with forced induction, but not my first encounter with a wrench if you could guess.
If you think I'm doing something wrong, tell me! I gladly accept advice.
That doesn't mean I'll always follow it of course.
I do respectfully ask that folks stay on topic, mainly so others who may find this thread useful don't have to wade through pages of trash talk.

From tomorrow until the project is complete I plan on posting updates with photos here, so keep checking back!

My setup:
- 2006 Ford Focus zx5 ses. 2.0L Duratec, completely stock
- IHI turbo from '88 Tbird TC 2.3L @ 9.5psi
- 55lb injectors
- 3" exhaust including turbo outlet elbow. Includes cat, flex, and 6"x24" Magnaflow muffler (12649)
- Turbo header kit from JGS Precision Turbo. mild steel
- 2.5" intercooler piping
- gen 1 bov(bpv actually) from a Talon
- Black FMIC. 2.5" in/outlets
- Ford Racing boost/oil pressure gauges on pillar
- -3 AN oil feed T'd from the oil sending unit. No restrictor.
- -10 AN oil drain into oil pan
- 3/8" coolant lines
- Oil catch can
- PCV valve from Tbird TC
- Autolite 103 plugs at .035" gap
- SCT tune from LaSota Racing in Columbus, OH

FAQ:

Doesn't somebody make a kit??
Yep. Randy at Focus Sport sells them for a mere $4,000.
I'd personally rather have no turbo at all than to spend that much, learn nothing, and barely lift a finger.
That's just not me.
No offense to those who don't have the tools for the job.

Why the IHI?
#1 it was cheap, and spurred on this project.
#2 even after extensive research I believe this is the ideal turbo for my application.
I could be wrong, but at the moment I don't believe I am.
It will spool amazingly fast, and I want "usable" boost through all my RPM band.
I have no interest in a high-boost, high-rpm only turbo.
If for some reason the IHI isn't enough for me I can fairly easily switch to a T3 later.

55lb Injectors are overkill
That's the idea. Easier to tune with according to my tuner.
He actually recommends 60lb.

A 3" exhaust is overkill
#1 Turbocharged engines do not like backpressure link an N/A engine does.
#2 I want the quietest exhaust possible without restricting air flow.
I feel this should be a pretty quiet setup.
If not I'll add another small Magnaflow or a glass pack as a resonator.

How much work are you doing?
I'm fabricating: the entire exhaust, including the turbo manifold and turbo exhaust elbow.
The intercooler piping. I'm using 2.5" mild steel for now because I can't weld aluminum if the need arises.
I may make that switch later.
The ambient air piping, including a new air inlet for the intake side of the turbo.
All assembly.

I'm NOT doing:
Any milling to ensure flat mating surfaces for the exhaust manifold and associated welded parts.
The welding of the oil return nipple to my aluminum oil pan.
The tuning.

Bye bye clutch?
Well I suppose that's possible.
According to Randy at Focus Sport, the stock clutch is OK around 9psi.
I'm expecting to have to upgrade my clutch within a year or two.
When that happens I'll probably opt for a Torsen Limited Slip Differential at the same time.

Can you provide a parts list with costs?
Will do.
I'll update my spreadsheet soon and make it available for download.
If there's enough interest I'll make a web page.

What is the safe boost level of the Duratec?
According to Randy at FS, anything over 11psi is crossing the line of longevity.
He has customers with over 30k miles on a 12psi kit.
I'll be at a max 9.5psi.

Do you have any sponsors?
Nope. Believe me I tried.

See less See more
#251 ·
I havent changed my setup to blow-through but i plan to. My MAF housing is 3" also and i ditched my MAfia for a Pro-M. Your thread has been a great help to me as i was building my project. My turbo is a MHI TD04H i planed on changing the CHRA to the 19T wheel and housing. Your build has been the foundation on which i have based my turbo project. Thank you for doing the hard stuff and leading the way for us do-it-yourself types. Best of luck with your future projects.

#252 ·
Great looking setup you have there, SaleenT121! Thanks for the kind words.
I'm definitely interested in a parts list for your built 2.0 motor if you have it.

#265 ·
Here is what I'm shooting for. This is NOT my dyno chart. I think his name is Dan but I can't remember the screen name.
GT2871R @ 24psi

#273 ·
I just want 200 whp using the TDO4HL-15T that I have (if I don't change my mind on using it lol). I think that will be plenty for a daily driver.

#276 ·
For anyone else who stumbles across this old thread in a search, there is now a build #3.

It would be ideal if I could update the first page with links to my other builds.
Sorry for any missing image links. I guess I reorganized my photobucket account too much over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.