Tapping? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,572, Level 98
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What is the total mileage of the engine?

Nobody has given the correct answer yet, and all are going to be very upset if they can't fix a car by pouring something in the oil. I've been working on cars since I was 15, and there have only been a few times when adding anything to the oil fixed anything.

This engine has no lifters. The cams hit directly on top of the valve springs. The top of the valve is protected by a mechanical bucket- which is basically just an effective way of shimming the top of the valve to match the camshaft. Clearance doesn't change, and can't be adjusted. Non-adjustable valve trains are nothing new to Fords or really any manufacturer.

Loud injectors are a poor excuse for not knowing what's going on either. If your injectors were that loud, you'd have something happening eventually. Keep pouring the snake oil in the fuel, and get the most expensive stuff you can find- it has to work if it costs more- I read that on the internet.

What's the real problem? Ok, try this diagnostic trick, it's called the mechanic's stethoscope. Now I've seen in the parts stores where you can buy a real "Mechanic's Stethoscope", but I wasn't brought up like that. Then again, I didn't even have action figures, just dirt clods to play with, so what do I know? Grab a long screwdriver, or any really long thing like a long thin block of wood (thinner than a 2x4), sometimes I used sticks out of the yard. Now, we'll call that the probe, so put it on the valve cover, and then cup your hand over the end of the probe with the probe on one side and your ear on the other. This works on the same principle as a string between two cups. You'll "hear" the vibrations from inside. Now you're listening to the valve cover, so then listen to the fuel rail, some tapping is normal in there. Listen for what you hear, you might hear if faintly. Now, put the probe on the intake manifold. Is that your sound? I bet it is. That's called the "tumble flaps", and you'll start hearing that sound from this engine around 80-100k miles.

Go do your diagnostic, see if you find out that you have tumble flap problems, and I'll check back tonight to tell you the rest of the tumble flap story. I have 150k miles on my 05 D20.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
xFocusingx
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99051
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 xFocusingx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am fairly certain it is coming from the Intake, but I will check that out tomorrow.

The engine has 103,000 miles on it. I did not add the Seafoam to fix a problem, I added it to help clean out the internal parts, because the car went 20,000 miles with 1 oil change. So when I did a change in the end of Jan, I saw how black it was. So the next week I added the seafoam to help clean it out, and figured I would do another change in a couple weeks. I just rarely drive the car, generally only when I work on it. She says it sounds and drives normal.

Thank you for the help, Ill let you know tomorrow when I look at it
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,572, Level 98
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The only way to fix tumble flaps is to replace the intake manifold. You can remove the tumble flaps, but that causes a loss in low end torque that you'll feel. The same goes for swapping to a non-tumble flap manifold like a Cosworth- on stock cams its a dog.

Don't fret, it's not an immediate danger. Mine started tapping around 100k. At 150k, I still have not changed my intake manifold and it really sounds terrible. It sounds just like valve noise to experienced mechanics- but the stethoscope trick reveals a very quiet whir from the valve cover.

I suggest looking into our Buy Sell Trade forum, and waiting until you can find someone who is building a performance motor and needs some cash for their low mileage intake. I found one with 30k on it for my swap that I'll do eventually. Don't pay more than $100 for a used manifold. New manifolds are like $300, but you can check with our factory Ford parts vendor Village Ford and see what they can do. The price might be much lower than I've figured.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #14
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,213, Level 35
Points: 3,213, Level: 35 Points: 3,213, Level: 35 Points: 3,213, Level: 35
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You guys can use your seafoam in the oil, I'll pass. I don't care what the can says. If you were really cleaning things out there then you now have trash in the oil. How is that better than when the trash was stuck to something to not cause trouble?

I've seen someone do that and the oil pickup became totally clogged up to damage the engine.

In my view another old wives' tale that just tears things up.....................

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.