Focus Fanatics Forum banner

More BROKEN Axles...

17K views 108 replies 27 participants last post by  focusmaniaczx3 
#1 ·
I noticed that another member of this board broke an axle on his 3rd pass with full slicks. His car was also making similar power to Focus_3XZ. Looks like as more Focus owners get serious about drag racing that we'll see even more broken axles.

Dtec04 said:
Went to California speedway yesterday. Went 12.07 at 115. Could of hit 11's if I had more runs to dial in the my 60'. Snapped an axle on the 3rd run.

R/T - 1.174
60' - 1.831
330 - 5.137
1/8 - 7.828
MPH - 91.23
1000 - 10.120
1/4 - 12.070
MPH - 115.00

This is with 360whp with 24.5/8.5-15 slicks.

#2 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think John's (03Orange) beast of a car has broken any yet. He runs about the same power as that guy. Haven't heard anything about Tom's white car either. Any difference on the SVT and ZX axles?

#98 ·
I was snapping axles left and right i have replacing them down to a science i think they r hollow hunks of junk personally. My first snap was at 173whp but it snapped in the center.... just twisted it was the nastiest snap ive seen... Every other time has been the CV axle. I rather spend 60 bucks on a half shaft then 600+ on some billet ones that if they dont snap something else does.. and trust me something else did. my first problem was at 123k miles i snapped my final drive gear that was the craziest sounding popping noise ive ever heard from a transmission. I still have the broken tranny as like a reminder... But i couldnt care less... and 700whp would be less prone to snapping right? more Hp more wheel spin... I may be wrong but thats what i would figure. I cant be convinced that the half shafts are good either but i rather them then a transmission.

LSD Made all the difference tho.... havent had one go yet.

#4 ·
ya there are quite a few people running high horsepower and NOT snapping axles.

if you CLUTCH DROP at 8k rpms...yes you will snap axles with that much traction...but learn to drive and youll be fine.

#5 ·
whats there been now, three reports of broken axles, in how many years?
I drag mine too and have never had an axle issue and know several that also do this with no issues. Most broken axles are attributed to wheel hop, which can break even custom axles.
Show me a drag car that doesn't break parts and I'll show you a trailer queen. If breaking a simple axle is such a big deal then why even bother building a drag car... somethings gonna break.

But its his opinion...

#6 ·
I think all of you guys are missing the point that as more people begin to seriously drag race their Focus that you will see more broken axles. All of the other members you have mentioned have not launched their cars like Focus_3XZ or Dtec04. 03orange has never even drag raced his car period and Tom has never actually launched his car hard as can be seen by his 2.x 60fts. I think its more than just a coincidence that Focus_3XZ and Dtec04 both broken axles after they pulled low 1.8 60fts.

#22 ·
I've pulled as low as a 1.78 60' time and COUNTLESS (no less than 100) 1.8's without ever breaking an axle. I'm also rather certain that myself, Tom, and EconorocketZX3 were some of the first Focus owners to even use slicks, and never once did any of us have a problem with the axles.

The axles that have broken usually come at a transition period between no traction and traction gain. ANY axle is going to be extremely stressed during that transition, and there isnt anything you can do about it. I'm not saying that we have indestructable axles, but they MOST DEFINETLY are not weak.

#10 ·
Why are you so worried about it? There's a simple solution to the problem.

Don't run a lot of power.
Don't use slicks.
Don't drag race.

If you do any of those, stuff breaks. It's a fact of life and I don't know why it's so surprising. Just fix it if it breaks. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't really know what the big issue is here that makes it such a pressing concern? [dunno]

#12 ·
yep that is true. but hes gungho...

dude get your axles cyroed.

#13 ·
i think you guys are taking him the wrong way....

no one is saying that stock axles are crap...

but people on here have said that they are just fine for pretty much ANY power level, even for drag racing

i think that's a stretch....

you can try and take it easy on them, and not launch hard and i'm sure they'll last

but if you are racing competitively, launching soft=lose

so lets say this...running 300+hp on slicks, with upgraded suspension, and launching hard, you will probably need to upgrade axles...

#14 ·
Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself. If anyone wants to actually prove that the stock axles are so great then prove it on the strip.

Just an FYI I've seen first hand the one off Drive Shaft Shop axles for the Focus and I don't think those will be breaking. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

#15 ·
cryo treat stock axles and youll be more then fine.

id be more worried about CV joints...then the actual axle.

#21 ·
Here is one more to your recent Focus axle breaking, and it was at an autox. (not sure if it was counted)

OmniFocus said:
We ran the first event of the year with the FSP car up here in Oregon and sure enough... broke an outer CV.

The car has probably endured 400-500 drag-style launches at this point, so it isn't REALLY a big surprise, but it does mean we will probably replace axles on a yearly basis or so.

This is a 190hp, 160 ft-lb N/A Duratec on wide R-compounds.

#25 ·
I see you are at it again , LOL like tobyboom said there were Foci out there running you "have to be running these 60 foot times to be quick" before your SVT was even born

There has been dozens of Foci running fast LOooooong before you came here

Anything can be tore up or broken showing you can run fast and not kill you equipment is a sign of a true racer

When you get to a 10.95 @ 137 MPH on DOT Tires stock axles and ATX come back and talk to me

Tom

#26 ·
There's something thats being left out....

The axle that broke was a DURALAST replacement axle, and the poster stated that it is weaker than the stock axle..... that he didnt buy because the stock replacement was $350.

Feel free to go over to [FJ] and read it yourselves.... it was posted by Dtec04 in the FI forum.

#28 ·
i was just about to post that John i read it myself too over on fj

#29 ·
Here's Dtec's post #7

------------------------------

It was a duralast axle. The stock ones are a bit beefier but cost 350$ from ford.... It snapped during the burnout when I hit the dry pavement. Is there any stronger aftermarket axles for the duratec?

--------------------------------------------------------

#30 ·
I see that both sides of this friendly debate have had goods points and I think that the original poster may have been misinterpreted a bit. I too share in his concern and thoughts regarding trying to get the best 60' times out of my Focus. I live on an island where the drag strip is dominated primarily by all-wheel drive Evolutions and rear wheel drive Skylines, Silvias and a ton of other Japanese cars hitting 1.6-1.8 easily. We only run the 1/8 mile and the 60' time is a HUGE factor in who comes out on top. Yes, massive horsepower can compensate for average 60' times but there is no easier way to knock off up to half of a second than by just throwing on a pair of slicks. Risky, abusive? Maybe.........but the original poster and the actual owner of the car currently seems to think that the axles are the weakest link in their drag setup. And so far, it has proven to be so since the axles have broken at least twice. Hopefully, the upgraded axles will solve their problem without causing any more problems. Personally, I hope that the axles work out for them and I would like to see some pics if possible.

#32 ·
something about axles being the weakest link
Hey, you could be right, they could possibly be the weakest link. But they are very tough for stock axles...

If you've got the dough to burn on slicks and a fast Focus in the first place, axles are pocket change and a few hours under the car.

The only reason we keep saying this I think is because the issue really isn't big enough to worry about this much. Just save a few bucks in case it happens if it bothers you.

#33 ·
Hey, you could be right, they could possibly be the weakest link. But they are very tough for stock axles...
Everyone thinks the axles are tough? Tough compared to what? There are 600-700 whp hondas on stock axles that go a lot faster than 10.95

If you really wanna compare how tough they really are, compare them to other FWD that are making good power with a properly setup car. Chances are that the ones over 350whp arent breaking them, or have been running stock for 2-3 years. My car will break every piece on them, the shaft, the tripod, the splined ends, even broke both axles at once and has done it twice. If anyone is so sure that they are so great, send me a set and I will gladly take a video of the car breaking them. If they dont, I will gladly pay you for them whatever your price.

Im sorry but if I am going to the dragstrip, I am going to run my car to its fullest potential. After all that is what I built it for, so why wouldnt I use it???

#44 ·
Everyone thinks the axles are tough? If anyone is so sure that they are so great, send me a set and I will gladly take a video of the car breaking them. If they dont, I will gladly pay you for them whatever your price.
Is the point you want to make really that you can break akles

Send me a 10lb sledge hammer and I will send you a video of me breaking it. Sometimes it isnt that we can break things because any moron(not directed at you) can do that whats wrong with running fast and NOT breaking things that also has been proven it can be done and for almost 6 years by many Foci owners

Are you going to the $16,000.00 Quaif Trans next ? Sean started killing them once he got strong axles , Trans about 400.00 used then parts and time to install LSD and about 6 Hrs R&R is it really worth it for something that can be over come with 1Psi more boost

Tom

#35 ·
Wow, where did I say that I was suprised that they broke? I have broken a lot more than just axles with the car, and when something does, I happily replace it with something better. That is how you make the car faster after all. Everyone is still claiming that the stock axles are soooo good, when I knew they were going to break with my setup even before I ran the car.

#36 ·
...so why do we keep getting these threads that make it sound like broken axles after doing multiple near-redline drops from a standstill is somehow news that urgently needs to be addressed? Seems to me that the only Focus owners who are having this problem are those who abuse their cars...

#41 ·
god, maybe i should start a svt pistons are junk because i broke a ring land while knowingly abusing my car thread. i mean so many people here have had the same problem after all (i can actually name and show pictures).
cmon guys i wanna whine too... can i please?

(of course i wouldnt actually do it when i knowingly abused the car and knew it may happen in the first place, parts break, fix it and drive on...guarantee a piston and relacement is a hell of alot more time consuming than an axle))

#43 ·
Come on guys, let's all stick to what is ACTUALLY said in this thread. I don't RECALL anyone ever saying that the stock axles are "junk" and I don't recall anyone ever saying that they are "indestructable". All I here people saying are that the stock axles are pretty strong BUT can only take so much power/abuse. That very statement can be said for a lot of things about the Focus. Likewise, the SVT shortblock is also very strong but has it's limitations. If you wish to exceed those limitations, it's time to upgrade to something stronger. This doesn't mean that you're trying to ABUSE the engine by trying to make more power. It simply means you want better performance than what the stock parts can handle.

#60 ·
I love it im subscribing this thread!! keep it going!
As for the axles.. of course your gonna break something.. I broke an axle on my corolla few years back.. no mods.. no drag racing.. some 'spirited' driving.. and taking corners a bit hard..
push your car.. its gonna push back.. right on your wallet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.