Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013 Focus Titanium. NAV or Not

5K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  jdubhack 
#1 ·
I'm going in tomorrow to pick up a Performance Blue '13 Titanium and wondering if I should upgrade to the Sync NAV. I am already getting all options except NAV.... Just wondering if anyone with a smart phone recommends just using the phone or is the navigation system "in the way" of the Sync MFT system?

BTW also wanted to know what others are paying for 2013 Titaniums, I am picking mine up for 23,000.

#2 · (Edited)
I went with nav and fully loaded (including the handling package and the extra $300 for the "special" paint) minus the park assist. I went with nav because I don't have data on my phone and I thought it could come in handy to have it.

I paid $25,500 all in for mine (Canadian)

Edit: Sticker was $31,000 or so

#3 ·
My parents have Nav on their escape and it works really nice, I love that you can look up fuel stations and get up to date prices.

#5 ·
I have data on my phone and I think I just answered my own question, I use Waze which is a social navigation app that uses other users speed and input to re-route around "slow" areas of your commute.

Can you download apps onto the Sync system? Since it's Microsoft and all...

I just checked Google currency and 25,500 Canadian is 25,492.35 in U.S. dollars. Thanks.

#6 ·
I did not get the NAV and honestly do not miss it! I have a TomTom but have not used that much.

I do use allot of the Turn-By-Turn directions via Sync. Works great! I have the Sync Destinations app on iPhone with all my saved points. If I need to use them or something new, I shoot it over to Sync from the phone. Than once in the car I go to Sync services and it downloads the directions to the car.

The only down side is if you go off the down loaded route. It will than ask you if you want to update the route and then go through the down load process again. Obviously not as fast as my TomTom if I change my route.

#20 ·
That's one of the reasons I've never used it. I. Can use the navigation on my phone and connect via Bluetooth and get the same turn by turn instructions with out having to worry about logging into sync and downloading the route or having to redownloading if I go off the planned route.

#8 ·
I have a 12' Titanium with every single option available, I paid about $27,600 out the door with tax, registration, AND an extended warranty. The car was stickered at over $28,000. I got the car in Feb 2012, have logged 21,000 miles on her already, and Ford has recalled my car to update the sync system twice, with the last one being a few weeks ago. With all the recent updates it has worked great with pretty much no problems since the last update. The only downside before the update was that the NAV would freeze up and basically be useless. I live in SoCAL and do a lot of driving to areas I have never been to before, drive to Vegas and stuff a lot as well so the NAV is absolutely awesome as long as it doesn't freeze up on you. And its just nice and convenient when everything is integrated into the car, like a well oiled machine. However if $$$ is an issue and you do have a smart phone you can always look up the address which I do when the NAV freezes up but I would prefer to use the NAV over my phone any day because there is an illuminated screen in the dash giving you turn by turn directions so you never have to look at your phone. I CAN look at my phone but i would prefer not to. Theres my schpeeel hope it helps you make the right choice.

#9 ·
GET IT.

Why? It Is EXCELLENT

Had a focus without and its f,uking annoying to use the phone or hang a stupid GPS from the windshield

I have used it extensively and i use voice commands on it...it registers the addresses PERFECTLY by voice works better than even Siri and it had only crashed once which i just restarted it

Excellent clear views, plenty of POIs, even shows gas prices, did i mention how accurate the voice commands lock on destinations? Do you understand how sweet it is to speak a destination?

PLUS why get a nice big screen like that if it doesn't even have navigation? I have a brand new 13 and don't listen to all these 12 owners, the latest version which you will get works great no offense to them

#10 ·
I say don't get it. I use Waze as well and I prefer it over my Garmin. I use a mountek nGroove CD slot mount to hold my phone whenever I need to use the GPS and it does the job fine. Use the extra money for mods![woot]

#12 ·
i'm looking at getting the '13 Hatch w/ Nav as well. I have to double check on price tho, but OTD i believe the sales guys said it was $27k ...that includes all options besides handling package and the upgraded fee for the white paint. Price is with the XPLAN and $1k incentives. Seems like i should be able to get a better deal if you guys are getting that same price w/out the xplan?

#13 ·
I got my performance blue 2013 Titanium without the NAV for about 22k after my xplan discount.

My logic is that I have an Iphone that has real time up to date traffic information. I also prefer using Waze because it tells me where the cops are and saves me from having to buy an expensive radar detector.

I did test drive a Titanium with the NAV and it didn't seem as cool as my Iphone is. Also if you don't get the NAV package you can still get turn by turn direction using Sync Services. I find that it works pretty decent if you stick to it's actual route and don't make any deviation (like for traffic).

#16 ·
I have the large screen without Nav and a smartphone. The Sync turn-by-turn directions provides an arrow and distance to the next turn on the center display and on the large screen. With the smartphone Sync app you can get directions sent to the car, but you can only use it while the car is not moving (GPS in the phone with the app on locks your phone until you stop).

On Mapquest you can send a destination point to the car through your smartphone and that works well also. It's up to your personal preference. Sometimes I wish I had a map on the screen to see the roads around me, but then again it would probably be a bigger distraction. I don't see a wrong choice.

#23 ·
Go with the Nav. I was skeptical but glad I got it. Here's some advantages I've found so far.

1. An 8-inch screen

2. You can control everything using voice commands without taking your hands off the wheel

3. Turn list view. Because of the big screen, MFT Nav can display the map and the turn list at the same time. It's so helpful knowing the next couple of turns

4. Music volume is automatically lowered when MFT Nav speaks

5. Dead-reckoning. MFT Nav is integrated with the car. When there's no GPS signal(in a garage, tunnel or under tall buildings), it estimates the location using gyroscope, vehicle speed, steering direction and etc

6. Next turn is displayed on the 5'' LCD in the instrument panel. This helps keep your eyes on the road

7. Route recalculation is almost instant. As soon as you miss a turn, it guides you to the next turn

#24 ·
The integration is great, in that it works with any audio source (spoken directions, as opposed to having to have BT audio active) and the directions appear on-screen.

That said, the voice commands are absolutely dreadful in terms of being quick to enter most anything. For example...

MFT

Me: "Destination Intersection"

MFT: "First Street"

Me: "3rd Avenue"

MFT: "Please Choose"

[list of W 3rd Ave, E 3rd Ave, 3rd Ave without a direction, etc. appear on screen]

Me: "W 3rd Avenue" (and that's assuming I know which one it is - usually, I don't)

MFT: "Second Street"

Me: "High Street"

MFT: "Please Choose"

[list of N High St, S High St, High St without a direction, etc. appear on screen]

Me: "N High Street"

MFT: "When Ready, Press Set As Destination..."

^ Remember that this is the best-case scenario! [facepalm]

If that doesn't make you want to drive the car into the wall, I don't know what will. Contrast that with...

Google Maps

Me: "Map of 3rd Avenue and High Street, Columbus, Ohio."

^ That's it. And it finds it. The end.

I've resorted to using Google Maps on my phone, coupled with this app, to send complicated directions to the car via Sync Services. It's not a perfect solution, but it's faster than fighting with the system.

#27 ·
So you fault a system that wants to get you to an exact location instead of choosing for you where you want to go? [facepalm]

How often does someone really use "destination intersection" as a point? I go where I want to go, "destination POI" or "destination street address."

The system works awesome.

#25 ·
If you use the sync services it will give you the directions on the information window as well.

Overall, it's really a personal choice. I think that smartphone and IPad's offer more choices in navigation options then the Nav unit.

Even though you sacrifice some of the convience of voice commands, I haven't found it that hard yet. Overall, if I'm going somewhere I put in the address before I start driving so don't really need to talk to my car. I tend to use the voice commands for pretty much everything else (calling people, climate control, etc...).

Good luck with your choices!

#26 ·
I have Nav on mine and I love it. I find it cheap to have a 25k+ car (Canada pricing) and to buy then a mount for your TomTom when u can have the Nav integrated in the system. And it works great ! For those having problems with the voice commands for Nav, please upgrade to the latest MFT version, a lot of commands were revised.

#34 ·
Yup, I agree. I still recommend it (as noted in my OP) but I also wanted to be clear that it's not as fluid as you may expect, coming from something like Google Maps on your phone.

#35 ·
All great points and now my problem is the dealer doesn't seem to have a Blue Ti with NAV. They have 2 of them this way, you would think somebody would have ordered with and without NAV that way we could choose.
The only fully loaded Ti's are 2 gray and 1 black and I wanted something with color... Just me being picky. So I might be stuck with a gray car cause I hate black, had a black Audi A6, it was a PITA to keep clean.

But I was sold on the resale point(NAV is an $800 option that is worth resale if that is a deciding factor) and the integration even though I rarely run low on fuel. Plus my Samsung Galaxy S3 seems to get great GPS reception, if it doesn't, reboot the phone(doesn't take long).

MSRP on this car is $26,880 but with the Evergreen Ford $3000 off and the other $2500 in rebates I get, it's roughly $23,500 OTD without cash down.
I HAD a 2000 Honda CR-V to trade but with 223,600 miles they will only give me $2000 TIV. I am keeping my Honda to sell privately

#36 ·
You obviously paid extra for the Titanium over the other trim levels cause of the added bells and whistles, why stop at the navigation option? With that nice 8" touch screen in the middle of the dash, navi should have been standard equipment.

btw: My Ti have the nav

#39 ·
So I now have Performance Blue Focus with no NAV. I tried to have the dealer look for a blue one with NAV, no luck, they had the biggest inventory of Focuses in the area. I am happy with the car. I was only looking forward to the NAV for re-sale value.

I am happy with my decision and maybe Ford will come out with a VIN based hack to add NAV if people want to upgrade. All it will take is a flash of the system to add the firmware so that NAV can be activated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.