Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New to SVT and cars in general

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  swansong 
#1 ·
Hey all, just signed up! I bought a 2002 SVT totally stock, but it kicks ass!!! I had a nissan frontier truck before and I thought that was quick and handled well, the SVT blows me away! I know nothing about cars/trucks and am just wondering what I should be looking at or upgrading in terms of maybe a little more HP. Mainly I would just like to know if theres anything I should check into since it's a 2002 with 73k, only had one owner though and I cannot believe how immaculate the car is! Engine sounds/feels great. Clutch replaced when purchased. Thanks for any help, I have checked out the performance thread, but I wanted to start my own about general issues and to introduce myself. [drinking]

See less See more
#3 ·
Not just the timing belt but the timing belt assembly (belt,idler pulley,tensioner pulley,valve cover gasket needed as well during this). The pulleys are just as important as the belt as they tend to fail and lead to belt failure from what I've read. Some people also replace the water pump while doing this as well but I've read as long as you aren't having issues with it then it isn't a have to item.

#4 ·
Timing belt eh? My car guy says it would be nice to preemptively replace that but it isn't required until 120k, considering I've got only 73k do you think I could go for a cold air intake before the timing belt replacement? Thanks for the quick response! It seems like a lot of people really love this car, I am falling for her ;)

#5 ·
Definitely not! The book may say it isn't required until then (although I haven't seen that) but it most definitely is a preventative maintenance that you should have done first off on the list! Otherwise you will be looking at spending a lot more if the belt or a pulley decides to fail and you end up damaging valves/pistons and so on! No kidding get it done. I have read where most recommend doing it in a 60,000-80,000 mile range and yes people have had failures in this mileage range. Others will chime in to back this up but trust me, this is the #1 thing that I have read about making sure is done regarding the SVTs regardless of shape or mileage! No kidding!

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Listen to what Quickone4u said and you cannot go wrong. The SVT engines are pretty strong if you do your part by using quality oil and changing it frequently (3,000 no more than 5,000).

If you don't have a lot of experience working with cars then I would recommend that you hire someone to do the timing belt replacement for you. I have replaced timing belts on several cars and the SVT was the most frustrating one to replace so far.

#11 ·
a cold air does nothing more than make noise. a k&n panel filter will net the same power increase and you'll spend $200 less.

Replace the timing belt assembly first and foremost. If that belt breaks and pistons kiss valves, your $400-$600 in parts/labor preventative turns into $1200+ easily. Thats your call. AND if the head ends up getting crack in the process, tracking a head is harder than you think. These aren't hondas...

Since you're in the Nazi-anti-mod state, aka CA, a tune is your next "power" mod. Beyond that, poly motor mount (or $25 for poly bushing replacement) and replace your shocks/struts.

#12 ·
Thanks big time for the response you guys rock! So a buddy mentioned a tune would be kind of worthless unless I actually did have some mods already as to adjust accordingly when they have been installed. Would a tune(I'm assuming your speaking about a dyno tune?) help if I didn't have any upgrades?

First and foremost-Timing belt
2nd-Possibly this K&n Panel Filter instead of cold air intake? (must research more)
3rd-Yes about struts, should I get a C-pillar or rear strut bar (couple of names I've found)

Thanks again!

#13 ·
This is the best free mod you can do - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89200

CFM seems to be the best all stop shop for SVT upgrades.
http://focus.c-f-m.com

If you plan on doing the timing belt yourself buy the Massive Speed timing tool kit.
http://massivespeedsystem.com/_mass...solute_timing_tool_set/mato8754/i-273565.aspx

For the timing belt components you want to buy OEM. You can contact a guy named Steve who works for Tousley Ford and he is active on the focus forums.
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/

#14 ·
The SVT is a great car, but the downfall is that its really sort of "maxed out" stock from the factory. It breathes well, and it handles well. Most of the mods that will make the most difference are things like a short throw shifter, better audio equipment and headlights.

Most of these mods are just comfort mods that don't really affect the performance of the car, they just make it a better place to be.

Hands down the best performance mod you can do is suspension. The stock setup is good, but a proper suspension setup will turn your SVT into a corner-monster. But besides that, the only other thing I recommend is proper maintenance.

#15 ·
I disagree a bit there. I do agree that the Performance is pretty much maxed out on the SVT, but mods still give you some version of performance.

You can achieve better performance with:
- handling - going with the better suspension.
- shifting - if you get the Short Throw and Dog Bone Mount.
- off the line pick up - Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body
- more horsepower - Off-Road Pipe or High Flow Cat <- most gains here. Avg 6-7hp
- better overall engine flow - Tune

And so in turn, your car has better driveability.

But definitely stock for stock, the SVT is a great product that Ford released. Too bad they didn't release it with a turbo or supercharger. Although the internals of the engine can handle those up to 350hp. So, if major horsepower is what you are going for, may want to look into forced induction.

-Ray-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.