2001 Ford Focus LX SOHC Sputters on turns - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i would definitely find out first if you have the fuel pump recall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
power101
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115628
What I Drive: 2001 Red Ford Focus LX SOHC

FF Reputation: 1 power101 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Was the whole fuel pump assembly replaced? Including the filter "sock"?

That in tank filter sock was the cause of fuel pump issues on the earlier models, the recall mentioned changed the whole assembly to include a clean, new, "better" one...

For another idea, wondering if the "CAT" has any evidence of damage. Hit from the outside can break the catalyst, and the chunks COULD possibly be moving around & plugging things up when cornering (egg smell is typical for bad CAT). Would be an odd issue to happen JUST then, but if you see it's "dinged" i'd suspect that as a possible problem.

Luck!

P.S. - the issue happening when cornering, with fuel low, was the std. symptom for fuel pump assembly issues on the early models.
Ya the cat has a few dings in it and I almost guarantee its time for a new one. As for the the filter sock, yes its as new as the fuel pump about 1 yr old. I change the whole assembly every time I change fuel pumps. I think its stupid if you don't. If you drop the tank you might as well replace what you can to prevent from dropping the tank again because we all no that is a pain in the rear.

I just talked to a ford mechanic at the dealership today and he said after market fuel pumps sometime have a few problems. He said I should test the fuel pressure on the turn when it bogs out and if it reads too low, the I should replace the fuel pump with a Genuine Ford Fuel Pump because they are more reliable then the aftermarket ones. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

One last thing, Do you think when I turn, since I have a bad CAT, that it just clogs my muffler with broken pieces to the point it bogs out?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
The cornering issue like a fuel pump, but the sulfur smell and loss of power leads me to believe it's the catalytic converter.

I just did a quick Google search, and this Toyota thread came up:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/16...cornering.html

Froggman at #5 said it wound up being a catalytic converter. I know it's not a Ford, but it is the same symptom.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
power101
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115628
What I Drive: 2001 Red Ford Focus LX SOHC

FF Reputation: 1 power101 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
The cornering issue like a fuel pump, but the sulfur smell and loss of power leads me to believe it's the catalytic converter.

I just did a quick Google search, and this Toyota thread came up:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/16...cornering.html

Froggman at #5 said it wound up being a catalytic converter. I know it's not a Ford, but it is the same symptom.
I think that you may be right I will get back to you on this post in the next 24 hrs and let you know if that is the case. If its not I think that it may be the POS after market fuel pump. Thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks