Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good?

23K views 118 replies 57 participants last post by  GhiaFan 
#1 ·
Just curious what everyone's consensus is: do you think Ford will iron out all the technical issues with the PowerShift and MyFordTouch and get this car ironclad and rock solid for the long run?

I do not currently own a Focus, or a Ford for that matter, but have been researching for some time to replace my daily commuter car and the 2012 Focus (5-door Titanium in particular) is by far my favorite of anything and everything out there right now. I love the style, inside and out, the features, the ride, the tech, the materials on the interior, etc. I have test-driven a 5-door Titanium twice and was as in love as one can be with a car, BUT reading about all the issues with the PS and MFT does make one very nervous to pull the trigger, so I keep lurking and browsing sites like this one hoping to hear the announcement that Ford has finally worked everything out and all the new ones run like clockwork.

I buy new, pay cash and keep my cars a long time (10-years minimum), so although efficiency and comfort are important, reliability is paramount (I have a 100-mile daily round-trip commute). My current commuter is a 2002 Honda Civic EX, and outside of routine scheduled maintenance, two set of front brake pads, and several sets of tires I have had only ONE repair in the 11 years / 155,000 miles I've owned it so far; at 147k a rear sway bar link broke. That's IT. And this experience was the same with past Hondas I own as well, so the Focus would have big shoes to fill for me. Before you tell me to "just go buy another Honda, rice boy" I should note I've driven the new Civic multiple times too, and just don't care for it, especially when compared to the Focus.

Just a viewpoint from outside looking in: you have an awesome car Ford, and I really WANT to be a convert, but you need to be truly world-class with your quality to sway people away from the established Japanese brands.

See less See more
#2 ·
Instead of giving my opinion (which really would mean didly-squat for your purposes) I'll try to stick with facts & tell you that my 5/24/12 build date Titanium 5-door has performed flawlessly since about 200 miles on the clock. (it's approaching 500 now). I did notice some wierd behavior from the transmission during the first couple hundred miles, but it has since smoothed out and operates very comparably to a traditional automatic. The one difference that probably won't ever resolve itself is the strange behavior (for an automatic) it exhibits when reversing up hill. I don't like it, but I do understand why it does it. It acts very much like a manual-transmission when I back up my fairly steep driveway and into the garage, so I do have to make allowances for its tendency to roll forward if I let completely off the throttle. My auto-equipped Optima would just hold its position when I let off the gas, so you do have to pay attention when backing this car up hill. It just took some getting used to. What I'm getting at with all this: I think the programming in the more recent build dates may have tamed this transmission.

I've only had one instance with MFT that made me leery of it, but it's also learned to behave and I hope it continues. I probably haven't seen the last of the "System Update" screen, but it's been fine since the one day that it refused to turn on, and then refused to turn off. I will also tell you that it's been a bit less than willing to act right when attempting to play music from my IPod Touch via BlueTooth. It refused to remember the connection to it and my phone (HTC Incredible 2), and would 'forget' one or the other every time I turned off the car. But being a problem solver by nature, I just bought a short USB cord and plugged in the IPod....and it's been fine ever since. Sometimes I just find a way to fix something rather than go get in line at the service department.

My last items are in regard to overall build quality. The last few cars I've owned have been Japanese and Korean, and as picky as I am, I wasn't able to find anything awry with any of them in regard to fit & finish. I've already found 2 items on this car that I'm less than thrilled about.

The paint on the hood, sides & rear of the car looks great. The paint on the roof is less than stellar. From an angle (the only way to view the roof without a ladder) the paint has a dull haze to it. It reminds me of paint that's been sitting out in the sun for a couple of years. It's not faded..it's just not shiny or terribly reflective. I'm still trying to decide if I should get out my orbital buffer and have a go at removing the haze / smoothing out the clearcoat, taking it back to Ford for a remedy, or just living with it. Due to past experiences, the last thing I want is a re-paint. But dull paint on a new car bugs me. I'm a fanatic about having a clean, shiny car.

The other fit & finish item I've found concerns the area where the hood, right fender & right A-pillar converge. It's VERY different (the gap is wider and misaligned) on the right than it is on the left. My impression is that the hood is imperfectly shaped on the right side...like perhaps someone dropped the hood on the extreme aft right edge and bent it slightly, all before it was installed & painted. But in the interest of not having anything re-painted, I've opted to just ignore this. It's just disappointing that after 15 years of refusing to buy an American car because of some pretty bad quality problems with my '97 Ford Ranger, and having several cosmetically & mechanically perfect Japanese & Korean cars, I discover something like this still going on with Ford. This should've never left the factory as-is. Again..I'm nit-picky with stuff like this...it may be something that few others would've even noticed. To me, it's like a sore thumb.

Sorry to ramble. Just trying to give you the facts about my recent purchase. All is good, with a couple of small flies in the chardonnay. I think the Focus is something you'll be happy with as long as your expectations aren't too high in regard to the DCT. I've started noticing the noises from the transmission, but I know why it's making them, so until it leaves me stranded aside the road, it's steady-as-she-goes. Happy hunting!

#3 ·
I also have a late a later model FF (Ti HB built on 5/7/12) and have had no issues with the DCT in the 5500 miles I've put on it. I think I remember one or two instances were it acted a little weird in the first couple hundred miles but I've either adapted to it or the car has to me.

I should mention that I have lot's of auto experience given the many rental cars I drive every year and also a lot of manual experience as all but two of the 8ish cars/vans I've owned have been 5-speed manuals. With 5500 miles on my DCT I don't even have to think about it anymore.

OTH, some of the early adopters seem to have ongoing issues with the DCT and they may or may not be fixable with software updates. I really think some of the early adopters either had faulty parts or flawed assembly or the bad software early on may have damaged hardware so it's my opinion that some will need to have parts replaced. I also suspect that there will be additional refinements to the control software. The bottom line is that Ford can't walk away from this as it is too important to there future to have a viable DCT offering.

MFT may be a similar thing... I think the fact that many of the late adopters have had few issues while some/many of the early adopters are still having huge problems in spite of the fact that the software should be the same for everyone. And, since some of the early adopters have required the replacement of the APIM to resolve there problems suggests to me that either there was some bad hardware in the early cars or the early software is hosing the hardware. I have no way of knowing which of the two is more likely or if both is the case. It is certainly possible that the early software so badly managed the storage (flash memory) that it damaged it and now the APIM needs to be replaced to fix it. I just don't know...

But, as with the DCT system, MFT it too important for Ford's future for them to orphan it now. I am certain that there will be additional updates and it's likely the next one will be within about 3 months...

Brian

#6 ·
OTH, some of the early adopters seem to have ongoing issues with the DCT and they may or may not be fixable with software updates. I really think some of the early adopters either had faulty parts or flawed assembly or the bad software early on may have damaged hardware so it's my opinion that some will need to have parts replaced. I also suspect that there will be additional refinements to the control software. The bottom line is that Ford can't walk away from this as it is too important to there future to have a viable DCT offering.
Agreed. I have a May 2011 build and I'm certain that first few months of transmission programming absolutely raped my clutch. It chatters going into 1st on almost every shift, but I'm going to let it be until it fails because it doesn't really effect performance. It also shakes at idle a little bit.

EDIT: I know for a fact in addition to the programming updates, Ford as changed the shoulder rivets on the clutch, beefed up an engine mount (to quell that vibrating on idle), as well as improved processes to prevent unbalanced clutches.

#4 ·
Thank you both for the responses. I still like this car enough I plan to continue lurking for awhile until I make up my mind one way or the other.

cbdallas: thanks for your detailed comments. I do not consider what you wrote "rambling" at all, as I am equally picky about fit and finish, rattles, etc. and go over all my cars for about 45 min before accepting delivery (which tends to piss off a lot of dealers). Your feedback on paint and alignment is a valid concern in my book.

raptor1956: I drove nothing but manuals (exclusively) for 30 years, so the manual-like quirks such as rolling back slightly on a hill, etc. actually do not bother me at all. The grinding, clunking, and long hesitations I have read about do worry me, and even more worrisome yet is the question I keep asking myself: "Will this transmission need replacement 50,000, 80,000 or even 120,000 miles down the road?" If the answer to that ends up being "yes" I'll have been only a temporary convert, will return to what I know works and likely never give Ford another chance.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

Moved you thread to the 2012 section since your asking about opinions and not a actual problem that way you get more opinions from actual 2012 onwers [thumb]

The focus had problems with it first came out. This model is no different and I'm sure ford will fix what ever problems that are popping up. It just make take a year or two of real world use before they iron everything out. Just like they did with the first generation. People tend to forget the major recalls we had on the first year model and some seconds, after that it was all good.

#7 ·
I have a June 2011 - issues? None.

I haven't had to go for TSBs on the DCT either. MFT sucks, but that's a given since they went crazy with it and didn't optimize it at all till the update.

As far as the DCT goes. People who have a 2012 Focus probably don't know how DCTs work. They will never, ever be as smooth as torque converters. I knew, coming from experience with VAG dual clutch boxes that I shouldn't expect for slow speed smoothness.

At high speeds? Oh god does this gearbox work wonders, but thats a given for all DCTs.

#8 ·
Just make sure you take a really long test drive, maybe renting one for the weekend, before you buy. The DCT is a different animal, even when it's working as intended. Mine (after 2 software updates) is great at speed but a little clumsy around town.

There's a tendency here to blame expectations of the user for dissatisfaction with the DCT. Don't buy that explanation - make up your own mind. Ford seems to working diligently on the problem, but they aren't there yet. Will they ever be? Maybe.

#58 ·
Agreed. Software updates did come out, with 12B37 getting everyone to the same level.

Ford has replaced transmissions as well.

I recall reading some warranties were extended.

Those are all good signs to me.

Mine still, rarely, has low-idle shutter or idle->accelerate roughness but it's minor and some manual transmissions have these issues. And, as everyone else mentions "the noise", people with other brands have mentioned it for theirs and it's just a noise. It's not gotten any louder nor is shifting between 1->2 any worse than it ever was.

I wouldn't worry, and in the past I had.

#10 ·
I have driven over 28,000 kilometres in my car and the only real issue is noise from the front suspension, which is going to be fixed under warranty.
Have you considered the manual? I have the 5 speed and I find it easy to row and well matched to the engine, with plenty of overtaking power.
I too had a 2002 civic (manual) and until the 2012 Focus came along every other small car (apart from the expensive Golf) had a driving experience and interior that could not compare. The Focus is comfortable and rattle free and quiet - something I really appreciated after driving the noisy Civic for 250,000 kilometres.
I actually bought a 2012 Civic (auto) for my wife. Very comfortable and roomy, but with horrible fabrics and plastics. One fault too - the interior fan sounds like a bearing is faulty. 40,000 km so far and no other issues.

#12 ·
The car I got rid of for the 2012 Focus was actually a 2000 Civic, not sure when my Focus was built, but it was May or June sometime.

Anyway, as far as the transmission goes, it was a little clunky at first, but after I hit about 1000 miles it smoothed out a lot. The reason it took so long was because like you, I drive over 100 miles a day, and it's all highway, meaning the transmission doesn't shift as much, taking longer to smooth out.

MFT is fine with my car. It has choked up a few times, but nothing major at all, I feel one more light update will work all those clinks out. I think most of the problems from it occur when you try to change stuff to quickly, like going from screen to screen, stuff like that.

Overall it's a great car, I chose it over the 2012 Civic because I do find it nicer, and more comfortable, and more power too. As far as quality, Ford has been getting much better in recent years, while Honda has been dragging down a bit (though, it is still very good).

#13 · (Edited)
I can't say "do this or do that because it is going to be great". Because I am not a future teller. But, what can I say from my experience since now with my FF with MFT and DCT are the following:

- DCT is another kind of a beast. For me, owning only manuals till now, it was not hard to accomodate and learn how to drive it. For those who expect a DCT to act as a slush-box, well, it doesn't. You have to learn driving it. If you can't, don't buy a car with a DCT. So my advice would be to test drive it good. And use it in every single situation you might imagine (if possible - rent one for the week-end). As for the DCT "noise", it might help to read this --> http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/servicetips/pdf/2DPS6.pdf

- MFT is not a perfect system, it has its glitches but 95% of the time, for me, it was great. Yes, it has problems when asking the computer for French street names but I can live with it. Yes, if you have a phone that uses BT for streaming music and an iPod that is USB connected, and you switch from one to another and add the radio or Sirius into the picture, yes the system sometimes might become instable (as some say: "scr...ed"). If you are not the geek who wants everything perfect and the most complicated, the best, if you are a normal guy, you have 90% of chances to be MFT problems free.
I have the last MFT update and I love it now, even though I was not very pleased with the downgrade Ford did to it.

- No one can tell you that the FF will last "troubles-free" for the next 150 000 miles. I know I can't say it. If I look at the experience I had with my last car, a 2001 Mercury Cougar that I drove for more than 100 000 miles, I can say that after the 80 000 miles mark, things comme to an end of life. Not very expensive though, if the catalyseur is not involved. If you are carefull with the car, it can serve you well. After 11 years of time served, I had to let it go because the onboard computer crushed and to replace it was more than the car's value on the market. So I traded it in for the FF. And I am very happy with it, at almost 22 000 km mark. It does feel almost like my Cougar on "curvy roads". THAT car was a beast on the serpentines.

#14 ·
The MFT has been pretty decent in my Focus. There are a few glitches now and then but I know how to work around them. On scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8 in it's current state. I'd rather have it than not.

The DCT can be both a blessing and a curse. As others have mentioned, it's fine when the car is moving faster than 20-25 MPH but a bit lethargic around town or any type of stop and go traffic. Forget about accelerating quickly from a slow roll, it doesn't respond very well at low speed most of the time. Sport shift mode is the way to go in these situations.

With that said, I really really love this car and still wouldn't trade it for anything else in this class. Maybe another Focus with the 5MT but I am on the fence about that because I'd rather have an auto.

I think Ford will get things ironed out, but it will take more than software updates to correct the low speed issues with the DCT.

#15 ·
Hi folks , first post have been lurking for awhile tho. Just bought wife a 2012 focus,and thought I would throw my 2 cents worth out. Stying and comfort wize this car is hard to beat for the money. Working at a GM and CHRY. dealership i have spent a lot of time in both makes and dont think there is a better one in either camp at the same price.W dont have new dart yet , but training classes lead me to favor focus and after having spent 1200 miles in a loaded cruze I vote for the focus. I am not a ford person and my thoughts about the build quality will show that. I would say in ours, not as good as chevy or dodge nor as good as my toyo DD. That said part of it is the ford do it our way or no way attitude.
Case in point; a door that doesnt fit right at bottom,seat back cover that wont stay on and a couple of trim pieces that dont fit right. All but the door I feel will be easily taken care of by warranty. I am at about 85% on the MFT and think it will get better; early onstar voice recognition was much worse. In our case, the trans. suits us just fine, after wife learned what it is and how it should act. All in all, the first 500+ miles have been fine: so to me ford has pretty much got the new focus "fixed" already.It is what it is ;relatively inexpensive mass produced car built to a price point.Wife is very happy, so therefore I am happy. BTW, many(not all) of our warranty concerns are from the customer and not the cars- just an opinion mind you as we all (self included) worry over and fuss about cars.[thumb]

#16 ·
Agreed and if I may on the DCT issue...

These are automated manuals. 2 traditional manual boxes put together. This has no clutch that you push, but it is still there.

No torque converters here - no smoothness that you are used to from a traditional crap box.

It will NEVER be as smooth as a automatic at low speeds. The only time a DCT is smoother is at speed or on a track. Its what the DCT is best at. Even VAGs boxes suffer from the same issues (the same ones Audi uses need I remind you) and even supercars with SMG/DCT boxes just suck at low speeds. If those can't get it right, I'm not sweating it that our 25k economy car can't either.

In fact the ONLY torque converter automatic I know of that is actually decent to use and isn't dimwitted is the ZF series of gearboxes, the 8 speed specifically. Given that we aren't all buying BMW 5 series and Audi A6s; let us settle for what we have. What we have is a pretty sophisticated and advanced gearbox in our cars; that alone is something to be happy for.

MFT?

Yes, it has its issues. Sync's original version was far superior. Less flash, but it worked.

I understand why Ford needed to upgrade the look. Just look at iDrive right now, MMI too. Mercedes and their COMAND system is that outdated so no point mentioning them either.

They should have baked it a bit more and the update we received is what should've been released with but all things considered?

Put it this way, MFT as it is right now is still better in terms of user experience than even iDrive. Only in the current generation has iDrive stopped being a miserable pile of crap to use. Audi's MMI is always better I think, maybe Ford should use them as a in-car entertainment benchmark

#17 ·
Another option is to buy the car without the auto transmission or MFT ^_^

That's what I did and it immediately scratches the two biggest complaints people, and reviewers, have about the car. I don't mind the lack of MFT (even if it was working fine, that is), and I prefer a MT car anyway. [thumb]

Of course, that is all a matter of opinion!

As far as build quality goes, I'm probably not as picky as some people here, I must say I didn't inspect every inches to make sure everything was aligned properly... I guess I could do that at some point for statistics' sake. That said, I have no complaints with what I do see right now. The car behaves very well on the road, it very comfy, and pretty economical on gas.

#19 ·
We have had our Titanium since March, and now have a bit over 7,000 miles on it. We really like the car in general, and have no need or expectation that Ford should do anything further whatsoever.

Having said that, if I could have my way, I would rip out the entire dash board and start over with all the displays and controls. MFT would be the first thing I would dump. We long for the day of simple knobs and switches. But we perhaps are Luddites.

Anyhow, be SURE to test drive your potential Focus AFTER DARK. You may find, like us, that the glare of the SYNC and the MFT displays are so overwhelming after dark, that any night vision you might ever hope to have is completely GONE!!!!

#21 ·
Anyhow, be SURE to test drive your potential Focus AFTER DARK. You may find, like us, that the glare of the SYNC and the MFT displays are so overwhelming after dark, that any night vision you might ever hope to have is completely GONE!!!!
I did notice that on the Titanium that I test drove, but don't notice it as much with the smaller 4" (I think) screen on my SE w/SYNC. I think it is because it is set a little deeper into the console (shrouded) it doesn't seem to catch a glare.

#20 ·
Add me to the 'my last car was a CiviC' club. My last car was a 2008 Civic. I actually think that it was a superior generation to the current CiviC in both looks and feel. I was shortlisted between the new CiviC and the new Focus, and everything from ride to the quality of the interior swayed me to the Ford. I can't complain about my Civic at all, aside from a set of tires and oil/filter changes, the most work I put into that car was touching up a rock chip (because some dumb*ss thought it would be cool to spin the tires of his truck in the mall parking lot). The interior styling and quality of the Focus is incomparable with most cars in it's class/price range, far and above them all. I like the DCT, though I admit it took some getting used to, and I can't comment on MFT because I don't have it.

#22 ·
I do not currently own a Focus, or a Ford for that matter, but have been researching for some time
do you think Ford will iron out all the technical issues with the PowerShift and MyFordTouch and get this car ironclad and rock solid for the long run?

I really think this car is getting a bad rap for really minor issues. MFT has essentially been fixed. The dual clutch tranny feels a little different than a traditionally automatic, but nothing that is like "oh my god".

I think this stuff gets so blown out of proportion on sites like this is laughable.

#24 ·
Ok, I've lurked long enough. My 5drTi has a build date of 01/12. The DCT was updated with the recall...seemed much crisper and smoother at first, maybe not so much now...still love it. I learned how to drive with a m/t some 35 yrs ago and it was many cars later before I ever bought an automatic and have always had a m/t around. All that said, I was ready to go "auto" and I'm glad I did. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you've got to realize it's not a typical auto, but it's not totally alien either.

As far as MFT.....its got glitches for sure, but I'd buy it again tomorrow if I were shopping. It helps complete the "this isn't your standard econobox" feeling of the new Focus.

I can only think of two other cars in this class I'd pick over the one I'm driving: A 2013 Focus 5drTi.....more standard equip..with the 2-tone leather this time...The other is the Focus ST.....but only when they decide to offer it with a DCT.

Just sayin...

P.s. Forgot to mention I've owned a lot of vehicles.....first Ford I ever bought.

#26 ·
My build date was 4/16/12. Titanium with the handling package and 18" wheels. All options except for the parking assist and anything related to winter (heated seats/ mirrors...no need in So Cal). I've had zero issues with the tranny or suspension. I think the best description of the MFT is "quirky". It can be a bit frustrating at times, but Ford will continue to update it - their investment in the future of the tech ology is obvious and I expect it to continue to improve.

One thing I will tell you is this: people rarely talk about their positive experiences, but everyone wants to vent about their negative ones. So while I don't doubt that every problem on here is legit, I will tell you that those logging them out are a minority. Not sure how small of a minority, but it bears keeping in mind.

The other thing I will mention is their is a huge number of Ford owners with massive miles and years on their Ford cars. They appear to be built to last. I haven't owned a domestic car since the late 80s, but I am sold on Ford.

If you have any reservations, I would say you are approaching it the right way. Good luck!

Sent from outer space, right to your face

#27 ·
Im perplexed by all the comments people have regarding MFT issues. I am not saying I have not had a few gllitches....but only a few.

Maybe I have got really lucky, but I can't complain about my MFT at all. This could be due to the fact that I have worked in the cell phone industry for 15 years and as such, I am used to glitchy electronics.

In any event, I have had zero serious issues with my MFT. The bluetooth itself (coming again from a cell phone guy) I have lots to complain about. Having said that, I think that is just bluetooth technology in general, and I don't blame ford, I blame bluetooth :)

#30 ·
Never had an issue. As others have stated, the DCT is not a low-speed oriented trandmission. Ask a Lambo owner how much they enjoy any speed/RPM under 65/4000 or so...not a pretty gear change lol...the DCT was originally developed to handle fast gear changes, with a side effect of better efficiency in the drive train, definitely not a gearbox meant for putting around town. I applaud ford for trying it out, as others are going that route in the name of efficiency as well.

No other problems with the car either. In fact, it really does handle better than any other front drive car I have owned. I love taking a cloverleaf on ramp at 50+, and showing the MiniCooper S drivers that they arent the go-cart they thought they were. I had and emergency handling situation that I swore was going to end in an accident (not a fast on ramp attack lol, but being cut off hard on the interstate in the middle lane). But stability control took me to safety without taking me out of the equation. And just check out the accidents that have occured, with much larger vehicles, and how many of those passengers walked away from a totalled focus (most of them).

A perfect car? No. Cabin is tight (protruding dash etc)..but thats compared to the old focus. Some panel fit and gap alignment issues. MFT is sometimes a pain (I avoided it). But hey, there continues to be no free lunch, just a very tasty one at a decent price, which is what the new Focus has been so far.

Reading forums is no way to acess a car's reliability. How often are people going to run out and praise their car's reliability? It works great for most, and thats why they bought it, so no jumping up and down over something that satifies them. In retail, the statistics show that a dissatisfied cutomer will tell 13 people about their crappy experience. So, when you get a bunch of complaints on a forum, there are likely 1000 more people that have 0 issues. PLus, it seems Focus owners are more "car people" than those on the Hyundai Elantra forums, so they are likely more attuned to their car and its workings, and much more likely to seek out a solution or at least voice their concerns.

The internet has made many things more clear, and many more unclear...Try one for yourself, and then post your concerns lol!

#31 ·
I have just over 17,000 miles on my Focus 5drTi, my car was built Aug 2011. I've had no issues with my DCT although I has been reflashed. I did have a steering issue which was in a TSB, dealer fixed it. The dealer while doing the test drive on the steering rack issue noticed the spring/clunk issue that I hadn't really notice and whenI went to pick the car they said that they have ordered the parts and they call me when they came in.

The MFT had it's issues, it seemed to lockup the most while listening to Sirius SAT Radio. The fix was to my a quick stop, in th 10,000 or so mile I had the older version I locked up 7 times. Since the MFT reflash not once.

I had a 2005 Focus ST before this that saved my life. This car is much better and I really like my ST. This car is faster, gets better mileage, quieter and has much more features. Added bonus my tires are still silent compare to my ST, I could keep a set of tire on that car past 12,000 miles the noise was killer, changed brands, alignments etc wouldn't help.

#32 ·
OP, you're no doubt picking up the general theme of these comments. One of the messages is if your planned use will include lots of heavy traffic driving (big city, congested commute, etc.), a Focus with the DCT may not be the least-frustrating choice. On the other hand, if most driving is suburban/smaller town/rural, the Focus could be a winner.

I have the DCT version and, when a drive into the big city during rush hour is on the agenda, I take a different car. And my DCT is reasonably well-behaved.

#33 ·
A question for those having major problems with MFT: is the SD card slot populated?

The first thing I did when I brought my new Focus home was fill up an SD card with tunes and plug it in. The MFT (v3.02) had major issues such as intermittent lockups/reboots and it always seemed to be indexing even though I had cleaned up the collection with Sync My iTunes. I even tried removing all but a couple dozen songs.

This went on for a month until I moved those same two dozen songs to a thumb-drive and took the SD card out of the car permanently. It worked so well I was able to gradually added my whole collection back. I still experience a minor glitch once in awhile such as the Sirius presets going blank, but it's been pretty stable since. I don't have NAV by the way.

That was my experience anyway.

#35 ·
I use a 32 gig SD card with no issues (v3.02). I just exported all my music from Itunes to it, and it has been rock solid.
As for the rest of the car (04/11/11 build), I have had a few things, steering wander, DCT problems. All were corrected by the dealer, and overall,I am quite happy with the TI now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.