Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#2,334 ·
Weighing in here (I was in another DCT thread)

Another DCT thread. This one appears to go back a few years to the original 2012 Focus. You would think this problem would have been fixed by the 2014 model year, but it's not.[facepalm]

I have a 2014 FF Ti with Nav/sunroof/Ti Handling pkg that I bought on 9/6/2013. I noticed shifting issues as I drove it home, at low speeds, sort of a shudder from 1-2. That is when I should have taken it back and told them I changed my mind, but at that time I did not know there were hundreds (thousands?) of affected FF 2012-2014 with the DCT.

My pre-purchase research included reading the professional reviews on about six different websites (Edmunds, KBB, Etc.) but I really thought they had the DCT figured out...like dozens of early posters to this thread who got a reflash of the TCM, found the car was more drivable but the fix does not seem durable.

I took mine in at 1500 miles due to drive-ability concerns, shift issues, shudders and the ubiquitous grinding noise at low speeds. They applied the most recent TSB, flashed the software, inspected the clutch (it was clean) and replaced the clutch seals. The car shifted and drove much better for 500 miles and now has essentially reverted to all of the previous problems with grind at all low speed shifts (more when warmed up) and the trailer hitching effect (not fixable I think) as well as poor shifting for speed/conditions (bogs down when merging and doesn't downshift when it should).

Disgusted, it spent 5 of its first 24 days in service in the shop. I took it back again after the problems resurfaced and they said the noise is normal and there isn't much else to do. They did suggest turning the radio up or whistling...

I can't get out of the lease without paying the difference between what I owe, and the wholesale price (e.g. $23800 - $19000 or about $4800.)

I guess I could take it back again for:

1) rough idle (since new)
2) strut noises from the front end
3) DCT issues as noted above

I wrote an email to investor relations, and have sent a PM to the Ford Service rep here and am awaiting a reply. It seems it will be going back in again.

Having driven Toyota for the prior two decades, I know no product is perfect, but I think this is a bit much for my foray back to domestic autos. I guess I missed the JD Power plummet of Ford from 5th to 23rd in 2011 and the 2/5 star ratings for the 2013 FF in quality, performance, and design. Shame on me. [smackbum]

#2,337 ·
Good luck with it, I gave up as well, when I saw people getting fixes and then the problems returned.

#2,341 ·
I just received a call from my Regional Cust. Service person saying my grinding was "normal". This is just unacceptable. Could the Ford person monitoring this thread please contact me with next steps - there is no way a 5-month-old vehicle should be making this noise; the vehicle is clearly damaging itself and this is our opportunity to stop and further damage.

#2,343 ·
I got the same story last Fri when I picked mine up from this same dealer. Corp Ford says all Is "NORMAL" and no more repairs will be made. Car still vibrates and tail light still rubs. Front end clunk is gone for now. Car still grinds and shudders on occasions. [80?][:0]

#2,357 ·
I have to agree with Kabigon for the most part on this one. Showing me a gunked up magnet doesn't really tell me anything. I've had my Focus over 2 years and while it grinds (not very loudly) in lower gears on occasion, if it was causing damage you'd think it would have shown up by now considering 2 years and almost 30k miles should be sufficient time for that grinding to cause noticeable damage.

On some cars, clearly yes, they have issues and the grinding is likely a byproduct of that issue. On some other cars, like mine, the grinding is more akin to a teenager learning to drive a manual and just not efficiently switching gears. Something that shouldn't happen, but also isn't going to make an astronomic amount of difference in the long run. There are plenty of high mileage DCTs already that are just fine, I have no reason to think otherwise if I haven't already had the problems others have had in their first year or two of ownership.

I reiterate, I don't mean to say that all DCT grinding is "normal" the video posted is FAR louder and more pronounced than my teenage driver-esque grinding, and that's likely a real issue. Just the same, calling all grinding a problem is also incorrect; this is an electronically shifted MANUAL transmission, it's not a perfect system no matter how much you expect it to be.

#2,358 ·
Well look, to say we can believe the tranny isn't being harmed because you haven't taken your car to the repair shop is a wee bit silly.

If you believe the tech at my dealer, even Ford isn't 100% sure of the cause of the grinding, so I can't see how anyone can say whether it is doing damage for sure or not. One would have to a) tear down the tranny and b) be able to pinpoint the cause of any damage discovered. Some of the teardowns have shown metal shavings, though I'm not sure whether those shavings were expected/acceptable or whether the exact cause of those shavings was identified.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

#2,363 ·
I think it is safe to say that the DCT has a love / hate thing going on right now. Those that hate it RRREEEEAAAALLLLY hate it (and rightfully so if it is a defective). Those that have not experienced these defects, by and large, like it to love it (depending on your mood).

So far, I have yet to see any evidence to indicate that the DCT is inherently defective. In stop and go traffic, my DCT equipped Focus will shutter (not all the time, but sometimes). Additionally, I've notice a lag when the car attempts to downshift after I step on the gas, but its no big deal to me since I realize that I am driving a Focus for Christs sake (not a performance car). And I don't care if other similarly speced cars (i.e. Civic, Mazda3, Kia Forte) do a better job downshifting, but that's just me. Other than that, I love how the car drives and the smoothness of the DCT. I've had the car for two years and use it as my daily commuter car and (knock on wood), the DCT hasn't fallen off yet.

#2,368 ·
This is rather eye-opening as I was considering trading in my current vehicle for a 2013-14 Titanium.

It seems Ford is always plagued with issues it should have sussed out prior to releasing their vehicles.

In particular, a transmission that is causing so many problems should never be released IMO. This is a selling point for this car after all...a 6 speed dual clutch. It should be a highlight of the car I'm sure most would agree.

#2,369 ·
IMO this only affects a small amount of production But woe unto you if you get one.
With hindsight I would recommend no one buy one until after an entire weekend test drive in hot weather with ac on and 3 passengers in traffics and hills

#2,370 ·
DCT troubles

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus in May of this year with 25000 miles on it. I noticed the shuddering and "rattling/grinding" noise. I brought it back to the dealer and they said, to read the document they had just printed that Ford produced for customers with similar issues. The Tech said that what I was experiencing was "normal". I brought the vehicle to the 2nd Ford dealer, and the Tech said, that I had to wait 5000 miles before the vehicle could get used to my driving habits, seriously. Okay, so I bit the bait, and said "okay" I will wait. Recently, (this week) I went to the 3rd Ford dealer, and this Tech, said, that what I was experiencing is in no way "normal" He said first they would reprogram the transmission, then, if that didn't work, they would order a new clutch assembly. It didn't work, so, they just ordered the clutch. The interesting thing is, the Tech said Ford is very aware of the clutch problem,and that the clutch that they have ordered for my vehicle is their 4th attempt at revamping the clutch assembly. He also said, that Ford has shipped another 1100 of these "New Generation" clutches for similar customer complaints. The bad thing is that my "new" clutch isn't expected to arrive for a month. Oh ya, this tech said he had installed at least 15 vehicles with the same problem, and most keep coming back, except the last one, who had the 4th generation clutch installed about a month and a half ago. Here's hoping that Ford has found the fix, but, don't hold your breath!

#2,383 ·
I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus in May of this year with 25000 miles on it. I noticed the shuddering and "rattling/grinding" noise. I brought it back to the dealer...my "new" clutch isn't expected to arrive for a month...
Hi Deniron,

I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager. Please PM full name, best daytime contact number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

#2,376 · (Edited)
While I can understand some of the people that have had this problem with little or no resolution from the dealer; what I can't understand are posts on here like aptech.

I took my car for a test drive before I bought it (obviously) but the only research I did was to read 2 comparos from Motor Trend (or one of them), against the Dart and Cruze. I noticed the shudder on the test drive but wasn't too concerned with it at that point. It wasn't until I got the car home and looked up all the normal information that I would normally do before buying a car that I discovered the TSBs for the DCT. I would have normally done my research first and then bought the car but the price was right, the financing was right and the dealer was excellent.

So, after I called the dealer (Whaling City in New London, CT) and told them I found the TSB and was experiencing the shudder as described in it they told me to bring it in for the day; nevermind the TSB was expired and besides it is still something they would just bill as warranty work, either under their initial purchase warranty or the remainder of my factory.

I dropped the car off with their service department at 8am and by 1pm had a call from their service manager detailing the corrections and work performed. They inspected the transmission housing for fluids, checked seals and performed every inspection covered under the CSB for the imbalanced clutch; they found no problems (as I suspected they wouldn't since my issue was when shifting). They then connected to the car and downloaded the sensor updates to the car and drove it a few miles while monitoring their computer for proper numbers to ensure it was within it's thresholds for a properly functioning transmission. The car spent a total of 5 hours in the shop and they even cleaned it for me. Since I have gotten it back, I have experienced NO issues with it and it runs wonderfully.

YMMV, but, to discount an entire model line of cars because there are people reporting issues is unfair to a brand that has proven to be stronger than the competition in almost every aspect. A blanket statement of "stay away" or "these cars suck" would seem to be biased by the people that are having issues continually. It does suck to have a car that you spent so much money on have problems early in it's life but at the same time consider this "rule of customer service":

If you piss off one person, they will complain to 10
If you make one person happy, they will praise to 3

Take the complaints with a grain of salt.

Sorry so long winded but just my $0.02

#2,377 ·
I had one of the bad ones but see no need to be insulting or paint all of ford with one brush.

in my opinion this problem affects a very small part of focus production BUT woe unto you if you get one.

Many dealers slap a memo on you saying all those symptoms are normal and you are driving it wrong.
The ford reps here at this board will get you escalated and major parts replaced but read the posts here yourself, the problems then return.

Ford is handling this particular issue in an eggregious manner and until you , yourself have had to drive a defective DCT day in and day out, you will only understand this in a detached, academic manner.

#2,382 ·
You bring up a good point Woggy. I read an article in the Automotive news in the summer that was to your point. People who spend a lot of money on a car are less likely to complain about small issues because buying a MB, BMW ect.. is conspicuous consumption purchase. People that drop that kinda of money on a car don't want to show to the outsiders that they made a poor decision so they are less vocal then someone that buys a Ford or Chevy. The article was based on a study and put together by magazine with input from a psychiatrist.

I think there is some truth to it. I was recently riding with my friend in his 2012 S class Mercedes. The entire dash board flicked out. All the gauges are virtual. I asked him what that was all about. His comment was "That almost never happens" Well, for $120K it should NEVER happen.

Oh well just my $.02

#2,384 ·
People who spend a lot of money on a car are less likely to complain about small issues because buying a MB, BMW ect.. is conspicuous consumption purchase. People that drop that kinda of money on a car don't want to show to the outsiders that they made a poor decision so they are less vocal then someone that buys a Ford or Chevy. The article was based on a study and put together by magazine with input from a psychiatrist.
But was it a poor decision? It is a nice car - but nice cars have issues too. The service department is always nice, and for that money we always get the same type of vehicle for a loaner (for the Benz, I do not get loaners from Ford), and always washed when we pick it up.

Again - perception is key. You feel better treated, therefore you are content.

It's all about the sales & then the service. And I am lucky that I do have good dealers for both cars. They did not design and build them, just sell and service them.

#2,385 ·
I took delivery of my 2012 SEL in July of 2011. It has been great until the last month or so (33k miles), when I began to hear/feel some grinding/shuddering mainly on the 2nd to 3rd shift. I did some reading here and found the latest TSB which seemed to describe my situation exactly.
I made an appointment with my dealer for last Saturday (open all day, free loaner!), and took it in with a copy of the TSB. About 6 hours later they called to say they had replaced the clutch (new "D" version) and the seals. The paperwork even described what RPM flutter was seen during the diagnostics.
Granted, it is way too early to know how successful and/or permanent this fix will be; but I wish all of you other posters here could have the same kind of responsive and polite service department that I am fortunate to have.

#2,386 ·
I made an appointment with my dealer for last Saturday (open all day, free loaner!), and took it in with a copy of the TSB. About 6 hours later they called to say they had replaced the clutch (new "D" version) and the seals. The paperwork even described what RPM flutter was seen during the diagnostics.
Hi TsuBlue,

I'd like to document your feedback in my system; please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, servicing dealership, and any info you want recorded.

Todd

#2,388 ·
hey all. It sounds like i got some grinding noise coming back. Ford replaced my clutch/seal pack back in February and it's been fine since then. Only thing is, I recently got the Injected Engineering tune, which I know voids the "powertrain warranty", right? So I wanna bring the car in to see if it's the same clutch/seals problem, but I'm worried since my car is tuned. Should i tune it back to stock or just leave it as is?
I have read the diagnostic process for this problem and the 1st step, I believe, is to reflash the ECU to the most current Ford update file.
A friend of mine recommended tuning it back to stock and driving it around awhile before bringing it into the dealership.

It's def not the brakes making the noise, because I went to NTB today and they didnt find anything. No rubbing either (lowering springs)

whats everyone's take on this?

I see the last post guys are taking about a new version of the clutch pack. Maybe that's what I need since mine was replaced way back in February 2013?

thanks

#2,390 ·
So here's yet another notch on the post of crap DCTs...

I had many of the same problems as others post when I first took delivery of my car in August 2012. After multiple trips to the dealership with no real resolution, I followed the advice of many here (and the advice of the dealership) to just drive the car and let the DCT "learn" how I drive. After several thousand miles, the car was jerky (and sometimes felt downright broken), but overall it seems to have improved.

Fast forward to 20,000 or so miles this summer. The transmission starts making grinding noises periodically, but not all the time. And the jerky shifting in low gears is back, sometimes with the car feeling like it's going to stall out on turns or accelerations. Like most others describe, it feels like the car was being driven by a 15-year old who had never driven a stick before.

I decided to drop the car off at a dealership close to my house (not the one where I purchased the car), and after finally getting in touch with a service advisor near the end of the day, I hear that they are looking at seals and clutches for replacement. A few days worth of work. So at this point, I'm really concerned that I've run into a lemon like the others. I'll get some work to limp me past the 36K warranty and then I'll be on the hook for thousands in repairs from that point on everytime the tranny decides to act up.

A few questions:

1. Is there anything that can be done to ensure that I can get transmission service beyond the factory warranty since this seems to be a more-than-once-in-a-blue-moon defect?

2. Is it normal for a Ford dealership to not bother to call you when you drop your car off overnight? I get a call at near closing time telling me they need my car for a few days. Oh, and there are no loaner cars, but hey, I can pay for a rental with the on-site Enterprise! Coming from the German car world, I'm a bit flabbgasted. BMW and VW (my personal experiences) would never leave a customer hanging like this.

3. I see some people have mentioned that there is a replacement transmission possible for these vehicles. Has anyone had success getting this done at their dealership.

#2,395 ·
...1. Is there anything that can be done to ensure that I can get transmission service beyond the factory warranty since this seems to be a more-than-once-in-a-blue-moon defect?

2. Is it normal for a Ford dealership to not bother to call you when you drop your car off overnight? I get a call at near closing time telling me they need my car for a few days. Oh, and there are no loaner cars, but hey, I can pay for a rental with the on-site Enterprise! Coming from the German car world, I'm a bit flabbgasted. BMW and VW (my personal experiences) would never leave a customer hanging like this.

3. I see some people have mentioned that there is a replacement transmission possible for these vehicles. Has anyone had success getting this done at their dealership...
Hi macrom,

I understand your frustrations. I'd like to look into the points you mentioned above. Is your Focus at the dealer? If you're currently experiencing vehicle symptoms, please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime contact phone number, VIN, current mileage and preferred dealership; I'll look into my resources and see what can be done.

crystal on here has got my case escalated with my regional customer service manager. He has been little to no help. After my 6 visits to the dealer for tsb, clutch pack, new trans, more tsb, the last two trips to the dealer all I got was, we can't find anything wrong with the car.
Hello aptech77,

I've read through your case notes and see that you declined an offer made by your CSM. If you'd like, I can schedule a follow-up call. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Todd

#2,393 ·
crystal on here has got my case escalated with my regional customer service manager. He has been little to no help. After my 6 visits to the dealer for tsb, clutch pack, new trans, more tsb, the last two trips to the dealer all I got was, we can't find anything wrong with the car. The shudder and grinding is "within normal specs".

Go to youtube and search "ford focud dct lemon"
Enjoy the vid...

#2,394 ·
Holy...

And here we were about to go look at a new F-150 or maybe an Explorer if we decided to go the SUV route. Sounds like we need to ditch this piece of .... and pick another car company.

I knew within a few weeks of trading in my Passat I had made a bad decision. Guess it's time to go back to a car company that actually backs their vehicles. So much for quality being Job #1...

#2,401 ·
So I received a call from a Ford CSM today who promised to follow up on Thursday. However, I received phone call from my service adviser at Grapevine Ford informing me that the car was ready to go. I looks like the changed some seals, reprogrammed the PCM, etc. Despite all of this, the car still lurches, gears still grind, and the adviser tells me that this is all normal for some of the DCTs. I'm still boggled a bit by this that a car company would stand and say, "Yeah, I know it's grinding and driving like a 15-year old's first trip around the block with a stick shift, but that's to be expected." I don't know how you stand by a car like that. I'm now being told that I need to drive the car for another 1,000 to 2,000 miles to see if the issues "shake out". Not going to happen. I'm done.

So this is the third, maybe fourth time since I bought the car last July that I've taken the car in only to be told this is all normal. I don't really want to through the hell of taking the car to the dealership a double-digit number of times before Ford finally does something. Has anyone had luck politely requesting a buyback? Sure, I can drag this out for longer than is necessary, but why do that when the problems are so heavily documented? Anyone have advice on this would be appreciated. Outside of being gun-shy about staying in a Ford vehicle, getting a replacement car or truck sounds like the best option at this point.

I do want to point out that my service adviser has been extremely prompt and friendly. No issues there. I strictly have issues with the quality of the vehicle itself.

#2,402 ·
I guess so far I am lucky. I had the new transmission put in even though I didn't think there was a problem. Only when the dealer test drove my car they said that the transmission needed to be replaced. I am approaching my third month on the new transmission and still loving it. More responsive, better gas mileage and smoother than the previous transmission. I feel fortunate after reading so many negative posts on this thread that my local Ford dealer knows what they are doing and acknowledge that the DCT has issues.

#2,404 ·
slbenz that's good for you, after my 4th clutch pack failure that was replaced back in April, my 2012 focus still drives like crap, making all kind of noise, chatter, miss shifts, vibration, etc. took my car to the dealer (FORD) back in June just to be told is normal.
car wanders at highway speeds and the left wheel bearing is getting noisy.
My 18 year daughter does not want to drive it cause it feels so unsafe

#2,405 ·
Jonreyna,

I am sorry to hear of all the problems you are experiencing with your 2012 Focus. After looking at the various posts in this thread, I really feel fortunate that the issues seen by others haven't manifested in my car. I am not sure why there are dealerships that will tell you that your problems are normal. My local dealer didn't like the way my car drove and replaced the transmission. Took several days for them to do it but it was worth it. But compared to my old Saab that my Focus replaced, the Focus is a godsend. My Saab constantly had electrical and engine issues. Every time it went to the shop, there goes another $2000 to the mechanic. It was much more problematic than my Mercedes SL convertible and certainly the Focus. The Mercedes hardly had to go in to the shop but when it did, it was just as expensive as my Saab. So far, my 2012 Focus hatchback has been economical and fun to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.