Real World MPG - ST - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #31
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
ok I will be taking a long trip soon and thinking about testing the MPG in different speeds on highway. on highway I plan to test 55mph, 65,75, and 85. how many miles do you guys think will be good for testing data? 10miles? 15?
The most accurate way of testing would be to run the car for a full tank worth at a given speed, not just 10-15 miles which would only give you a glance at instant fuel economy and is too variable to be trusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #32
G.O.Joe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 176161
What I Drive: To Be: 2014 ST. Color TBD.

FF Reputation: 1 G.O.Joe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ideal mileage testing would be to fill up until the click at a specific pump, drive until the gauge reads as empty as you're comfortable with, then filling up to the click at the same pump. Divide the miles drive between those two times by the number of gallons you pump. Instant real-world mileage through your entire regimen throughout the week or however long it takes.

For a long trip, you can do the same thing, but obviously foregoing the same-pump thing. You'll have more error, but being a long trip, you can do it multiple times and take an average which can be just as accurate.

Remember though...the position of the pump nozzle while filling also has an effect on when the pressure shutoff occurs at that pump, as well as how sensitive that sensor is. just another variable to keep in mind.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
anyone know how accurate the car's MPG is? because the MPG was showing 22.7 and total trip miles was 230, and when I went fill up the gas it took 11.4 gallons until it clicks, and I never top off.
For the first 4k miles or so I compared the trip computer reading to a hand calculation and found they agreed with in +/- 0.5 mpg. That's pretty darn good since you can get errors on both sides.

Last edited by Dgc333; 07-16-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #34
smitty1977
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 174633
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST3

FF Reputation: 1 smitty1977 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.Joe View Post
Ideal mileage testing would be to fill up until the click at a specific pump, drive until the gauge reads as empty as you're comfortable with, then filling up to the click at the same pump. Divide the miles drive between those two times by the number of gallons you pump. Instant real-world mileage through your entire regimen throughout the week or however long it takes.

For a long trip, you can do the same thing, but obviously foregoing the same-pump thing. You'll have more error, but being a long trip, you can do it multiple times and take an average which can be just as accurate.

Remember though...the position of the pump nozzle while filling also has an effect on when the pressure shutoff occurs at that pump, as well as how sensitive that sensor is. just another variable to keep in mind.
Different pumps vary. I'll have 1/4 tank and some pumps will take 10 gallons some 11
Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #35
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Do not measure with a micrometer something you cut with an axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1977 View Post
Different pumps vary. I'll have 1/4 tank and some pumps will take 10 gallons some 11
Of course, our fuel guages are not all that precise, either.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #36
smitty1977
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 174633
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST3

FF Reputation: 1 smitty1977 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Of course, our fuel guages are not all that precise, either.
This is true. I still don't understand why people think the gallons added method is more accurate.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #37
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Most recent tank of mostly highway and two lane blacktop, car reported 31.4 mpg, but hand calculated out to 33.546 mpg.

Life time average over ~18718 miles or so is 29.252 mpg which is better than the combined EPA rating, so I'm doing just fine.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #38
TrueDreams
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 134217
What I Drive: 13 Tuxedo Black Ti HB, winter+handl

FF Reputation: 1 TrueDreams Good Standing Member
I get 21.x mpg after conversions fml. I don't believe I drive it hard but maybe going uphill kills the gas or the quality of gas in Vancouver bc Canada is crap. I use 9th cyan from chevron or 91 from she'll mostly 94 chevron.

Bookmarks & Social Networks